PDA

View Full Version : Fan Belt & another noise

ziggymini
02-01-2009, 21:34
My fanbelt was squealing like a bitch so popped to my mechanic who said it was on way out as has been rubbing against something.
How long do these take to repair as he said they are a bit of a pig.

Secondly I spun the car a while back 8 times in the fast lane of the M25 going to bloody fast in the wet & thank god escaped completely unharmed apart from needing knicker change! BUT since then when I turn the steering wheel to the right there is a little squeal from seems like column or rack? any suggestions please. :?
I really must come on here more as keep missing meets & never see any Willys in my area.

Jaine

16v_paddy
02-01-2009, 21:44
:shock: spun 8 times :shock: would take more than just a change of undies, new trousers & seats would be closer to the truth if it was me :lol: having leather seats ftw :lol:

The belt is a bit of a pig but should be about an hours labour, IIRC autodata says it takes 2 hours to remove & replace PAS pump

ziggymini
02-01-2009, 21:53
I tell ya what someone was looking down on me that day as we spun so violently with oncoming 3 lanes of traffic yet never hit the central barrier or anyone else, came to rest in lane one facing the traffic that had all managed to stop & looked bewildered, I gave them all the thumbs up, turned the right way then drove off but crumbled when I reached where I was going. Typical girl!

Thanks for advice bout belt, any ideas what could have made the squeal noise.
Out for a drive now as bored but just hope belt holds out for while longer...

schakal
02-01-2009, 22:30
the fan is electric hence there are no belts :wink:

ziggymini
02-01-2009, 22:33
sorry i meant alternator i think! :shock:

16v_paddy
02-01-2009, 22:51
The alternator looks like it has a fan on it so fan belt is an acceptable way to describe it to me :lol:

If your spanner man has said the belt looks like it has caught something, no doubt it needs replacing. They can start squeling if they are getting worn as well so it's worth replacing

Mine squels like a bitch atm & it's pretty new :shock: But it's my own fault for not having the wheel arch liners in :oops: and all sorts of crap getting in amongst the belt & pulleys along with the shitty cold climate atm

richy
02-01-2009, 22:59
The alternator looks like it has a fan on it so fan belt is an acceptable way to describe it to me :lol:

If your spanner man has said the belt looks like it has caught something, no doubt it needs replacing. They can start squeling if they are getting worn as well so it's worth replacing

Mine squels like a bitch atm & it's pretty new :shock: But it's my own fault for not having the wheel arch liners in :oops: and all sorts of crap getting in amongst the belt & pulleys along with the shitty cold climate atm

it is a fan on the alt mate, to aid cooling the alt! :D

16v_paddy
02-01-2009, 23:14
:D wow, learn something new every day :D

It's all ok as long as you don't confuse the fanbelt with the cam belt :lol:

richy
02-01-2009, 23:28
lol best off calling it a aux belt and cam belt!

Wobba
03-01-2009, 00:26
Changing aux belt is easy and does not take long if you have done it before which any real mechanic will have.

May need the tension rechecking after a week or so as they can stretch on first use I hear.

ziggymini
03-01-2009, 13:04
Cheers guys, he is booked in Thursday to be done. He will also look at steering make sure nowt damaged from my spin.
Thanks for all your help...