PDA

View Full Version : Yet another coolant leak

Wobba
31-12-2008, 13:31
After fixing my leaking water pump, I noticed minor coolant loss from the left side of the engine. This has got worse, and although I have repaired the core plug which was leaking, there is now anotehr more major leak.

Opening the bonnet after a run, coolant is dripping from a hose pipe that goes from the heater matrix to the thermostat housing. Burning coolant smell always rings alarm bells after my valver blew the HG :(

My fears are that the head gasket is allowing water to leak out of the back of the block. A small amount of coolant can be seen on the back of the block but it could be getting there due to pressurised water spraying onto it... Or it could just be a corroded thermo housing or damaged pipe. Or it could just need the thermohousing resetting and new gasket sealent putting in.

So anyone else had coolant dripping from this pipe before and what was the solution?

Lunner
31-12-2008, 13:43
I had the same when i rebuilt my engine, tightened up the thermo housing bolts and all was well

Wobba
31-12-2008, 13:59
I had the same when i rebuilt my engine, tightened up the thermo housing bolts and all was well

Thats some relief! I hope to be doing the same tomorrow, but of course, the bolts have rounded, so I ordered more bolts only to be told they are out of stock and wont arrive for 3 weeks...

Lunner
31-12-2008, 14:05
MatBrown is never out of stock of bolts :)

Wobba
31-12-2008, 14:08
MatBrown is never out of stock of bolts :)

Yea hehe he sent me a spare last time I needed a thermohousing!

Trouble is with Xmas and New Year its a nightmare getting certain parts.

cliokiz
02-01-2009, 11:41
I've got some thermostat housing bolts.

Keep an eye on that back right corner of the engine as my headgasket has just gone there which is pissing coolant out the back of the block.

Might just be a split pipe though, ive got plenty of spares if you need them.

Wobba
02-01-2009, 12:27
I've got some thermostat housing bolts.

Keep an eye on that back right corner of the engine as my headgasket has just gone there which is pissing coolant out the back of the block.

Might just be a split pipe though, ive got plenty of spares if you need them.

Thanks awesome, I have ordered some bolts but they are going to arrive late. I may get away with the old ones if I dont have to drill them out.

It could be a pipe, if so I may be in touch!

Wobba
02-01-2009, 18:16
Ok, panic over I think. I have located the leak the very end of the hose pipe coming from heater matrix to the thermostat housing. There is a split in the pipe which under pressure is opening and spraying coolant everywhere.

I will remove it, try and cut it back and refit it and flush the coolant system again and refil.

Shame as I have lost a lot of expensive type d coolant :(

Wobba
04-01-2009, 18:05
Ok, I like to finish what I started as so many threads start with a problem but never end on how it was sorted. I removed and inspected the suspect pipe and found a 3mm split in the matrix to thermohousing pipe. It was about an inch along from the end so I merely cut the end off and replaced it.

Pipe looks like it has seen better days on the inside, so I will monitor it and replace at some stage.

This morning I could see none of the usual leaking so hopefully fixed!

Justin..
04-01-2009, 18:13
:D

Wobba
05-01-2009, 00:10
Well, went for a drive and it proceeded to dump coolant all over the floor! 'Oh Noes!' I thought, opened the bonnet with coolant all over the place.

Fortunately I think it was newbie error, forgot to tighten the coolant cap after bleeding it earlier. Seems ok now, will look tomorrow.

white16valver
05-01-2009, 11:36
LoL

It's always the simple mistakes that catch us out! :lol:

Well done on sorting it though :) Your motivation is inspiring! 8)

Wobba
05-01-2009, 14:28
LoL

It's always the simple mistakes that catch us out! :lol:

Well done on sorting it though :) Your motivation is inspiring! 8)

It seems it has lot more coolant this morning nd I can smell it burning still... :(

Oh well. I guess there is a 4th leak somewhere. Pipes looked in shoddy condition, splitting from inside so I'll check them first!

white16valver
05-01-2009, 14:40
Samco upgrades ;)

Wobba
05-01-2009, 14:45
I've got some spares on their way to me :)

Thought about Samco's, but wont bother as I am sick of refilling the blighter with coolant. got though 12 litres of type d so far! Not cheap :(