PDA

View Full Version : windscreen wipers

willyturb0
30-12-2008, 20:23
today i fixed the bolwer :D , and now the wipers don't stop were they should! :x .

they work, but when i switch them off they just stop where they want to.

any ideas?

willyturb0
30-12-2008, 20:24
i meant blower.

16v_paddy
30-12-2008, 20:24
did you unplug the relay & forget to plug it back in?

willyturb0
30-12-2008, 20:31
nope. didn't unplug the relay, could the relay have just given up?

Lunner
30-12-2008, 20:33
Do they aways stop in the same place?
If so turn them on and off and where they stop, just move them back to sit where you want them to.

If they stop in different places check the nuts holding them on are nice and tight and that they can't spin on the studs attached to the mechanism

willyturb0
30-12-2008, 20:42
nuts are tight. and they stop where ever i turn them off. its a bit of a game turning them off at the right time so that they are at the botom of the screen!

cliokiz
30-12-2008, 21:18
Sounds like you've nudged something in the scuttle area....

I'd whip the covers off and just double check!

Wobba
31-12-2008, 01:12
It may be the mechanism for the wipers, the actual arms that are driven under the skuttle panel.

Remove wipers. Remove skuttle panel. Replace wipers. Check the bolts that hold the mechanism in place are done up. Then manually rotate the mechanism (the rectangular shaped mechanism with two long parallel arms) so the wipers themselves are sat in the right place. This should reset them to the right start position. Turn wipers on, do they now work correctly?

Be careful, as when you manually move the mechanism it can sometimes start to rotate by itself, dont get fingers/clothes caught!

You may be able to do it without removing the skuttle (which is a pain) by opening the jack housing area and putting yer hand in underneath and pulling/pushing the arms till it's reset.

Justin..
31-12-2008, 07:01
i had this problem on my 1.4 :( was a right pain in the arse

kneesparks
31-12-2008, 12:19
My Astra did this it was the wiper motor itself, all the relay did was turn the signal on and off it was the motor that set where it stoped cost me £116!! :shock: should be able to get 2nd hand one....... MAT!

franksvalver
02-01-2009, 17:12
are you sure when you refitted the wipers you put them back on the splinds in the correct place...

could just be a noob error mate

switch wipers on then off so they sit where they want to rest... remove the two wipers and relocate them so the finish is back on the 'normal' windscreen travel

Wobba
02-01-2009, 18:14
are you sure when you refitted the wipers you put them back on the splinds in the correct place...

could just be a noob error mate

switch wipers on then off so they sit where they want to rest... remove the two wipers and relocate them so the finish is back on the 'normal' windscreen travel

Yea this is fix number 2 I was going to mention.

If the wiper go and wipe below the skuttle panel then come back up and stop, it will be mechanism I think. If they sit too high and tray and wipe way over the side of the driver window then its simply the wiper sitting position.