PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it....

Cookty
30-12-2008, 17:49
Hay
first post here, basically i have a clio rl 1.2 and was wondering what are your personal opinions on is it worth doing anything to make it handle or drive better or should i just leave it alone, bearing in mind im currently at uni so money aint that vastly availible.

cheers

Jamie.
30-12-2008, 17:57
Save your money until you have the cash to get a Williams or Valver imo otherwise its just a waste.

bbaazz-08
30-12-2008, 18:01
if you know a bit about engines you could drop a valver lump into it.......but realisticaly you could prob buy a valver for very little more than what it would cost to do

cliokiz
30-12-2008, 18:33
Valver springs/shocks & brakes would be a nice cheap upgrade.

Could drop the back end a touch to match the front for free, will make it feel a bit more planted.

Lunner
30-12-2008, 20:14
As above, no point in doing anything to the engine, but a nice set of alloys with some 195 tyres will make a huge difference, lowering springs and uprated shocks and drop the arse will make a huge difference too. As above valver brakes too.

Don't frget the things like wheels can be transfered onto a valver.

Just watch out for the hub hole spacing, iirc 1.2's are 52mm, where as valvers are 54mm, just means you'll need to slightly elongate teh holes to get them to fit, nowt major tho

number1
30-12-2008, 20:26
My mums got an RL and was shocked today to see no anti roll bar, Got a Valver item kicking around so might fit that someday. it rolls... a lot!

richy
30-12-2008, 20:31
on my old 1.2 rt 'bugeye' i fitted the full 16v front suspension to it inc hubs and brakes, (also anti roll bar as said above, they dont have one!)
also lowered the rear to match and fitted 15"s with 195's

handling wise it was transformed, i had alot of fun on twisty roads sitting with bigger engine cars lol but obvioulsy lacked power!

def worth swapping the suspension to 16v set up etc as it can be found for very very cheap!

but dont touch the engine, not worth wasting on it!

Cookty
30-12-2008, 23:58
difference between my suspension and a 16v suspension is what i can make out the 16v has an arb but are the struts and springs different specs aswell?

cheers guys anyhow

Wobba
31-12-2008, 00:59
Is it a straight bolt in procedure for fitting of an ARB+bushes then on the 1.2's? Obviously you would need valver wishbones. What about the stub axle?

Would be a cheap and easy conversion assuming you have tools and car jack etc.

Brakes would be a must have as well.

Simple engine servicing: oil, plugs, filter etc would also help maintain it during enthusiastic driving!

number1
31-12-2008, 15:15
Stub axle? javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
The 1.2 wishbones have the holes for the arb bushes to be fitted, so it would just pretty much bolt on,

white16valver
05-01-2009, 11:28
*dumb question alert*

What exactly do you mean by Stub Axle?? :oops:

Wobba
05-01-2009, 14:48
Stub axle is the part that attaches to the end of the driveshafts. It holds the tie rod end balljoint, the two big bolts for the suspension struts, and you fix the brake disc to it as well :)

u33db
05-01-2009, 17:57
ARB bolts right in - makes a massive difference, as will 16v front brakes (but you'll need 14" wheels or bigger).

Wouldn't bother with new shocks IMO - it'll handle well enough with the ARB and dropped on cheapo 55mm lowering springs.

What engine do you have?

If its the MPI 'DIET' engine theres no much you can do but if its the SPI Energy you can get gains quite cheaply...

Foley
05-01-2009, 18:25
if you want a power gain without spending silly amounts , you could buy a rsi engine , good powerful engine for an 8v and yet cheaper to insure than a valver, best of all i may be selling mine soon ;)

Cookty
07-01-2009, 10:30
its the 1.2 E type engine with SPI, a new engine would be nice but got a 1.4li engine laying around but just not worth the effort and cost on insurance etc at the moment, i think ill end up fitting the ARB though but got to sort my rear brakes all out first

MAXIBOY
07-01-2009, 12:37
also if you spending money i would spend on upgrade brakes and suspension 16v items etc..

seats also etc as these can all be moved over onto a bigger engined clio at a later date

and the 1.2 put back to standard as long as you keep the bits to sell on..