PDA

View Full Version : Valver not starting

DaveH
22-12-2008, 20:38
Hi guys, having a really annoying problem with the car. Two days ago it really struggled to start but eventually did. It was then fine for the rest of the day. Yesterday morning it wouldnt start at all just spinning over but not even trying to fire. I took the spark plugs out and found than were properly knackered. After swapping them for new it started first spin and was then fine for the rest of the day. This morining it did the same thing again only now it wont fire whatsoever. Ive checked for fuel at the rail which it has. It has a spark at all four plugs yet wont even try to fire!

Im just wondering whether anybody has experienced this before or has any ideas. Is there any sonsor such as the map sensor or lambda that will stop the ecu from firing the injectors?

Cheers in advance.

mark
22-12-2008, 23:46
Spark, fuel and compression. The 3 main factors to making an engine run. Ive seen this loads on old valvers etc, mine ended up being head gasket across cyl's 2&3. Get a compression test carried out. Whats the rough mileage/ history of the engine??

DaveH
23-12-2008, 00:00
the mileage is 118k and i personally rebuilt it around 15k ago with new rings, head, head gasket valve stem seals etc. As said as far as im aware it does have fuel and a spark, im off work this week so i dont have many of my tools at home the compression tester is at work but from the way it sounds and turns over there is definately at least some compression its not just spinning over like theres no compression if you get me. Also the fact that its done it first thing the last two days and then been fine after that leads me away from any poss head gasket issues.

There is fuel coming out of the return on the rail when priming and cranking (couldnt check the supply because of limited tools!) im thinking that possibly there is a fuel supply but the injectors themselves are not firing.

Does anybody know if a williams ecu will work on the f7p just to try that?

schakal
23-12-2008, 00:24
could be the crank angle sensor i guess .
try to clean it up or try another one if you got spare 8)

bbaazz-08
23-12-2008, 00:51
could be the crank angle sensor i guess .
try to clean it up or try another one if you got spare 8)

yup these give trouble on the mk3 clio`s after that it sounds like a head gasket.......try another set of plugs but before you put them in turn the engine over without any and let the cylinders free themselves out ...then put the new ones in -if it starts first time its prob the headgasket

5_turbo
23-12-2008, 18:38
i had this problem lastyear with my willy 2 it was ths the dizzy cap the centre pin had fell out but still sparked which was wierd i put a new cap and arm on her and is was fine after that.