PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox leak

cliokiz
19-12-2008, 17:02
:cry:

I had to have the drivers side driveshaft removed from my williams gearbox by a garage. They used (a lot of) heat and tried to use an extractor to pull the shaft off the spline on the gearbox but it was just stuck on too hard, so in the end it had to be chopped off.

The garage advised to replace the diff seal on the gearbox as the heat would have damaged the old one. After all, they're just tough rubber.

So, i got a replacement seal, ripped the old seal out, and gently tapped the new seal into place as far as it would go.

Unfortunately though, since filling up the box with oil, it's leaking slightly from this seal.

I don't understand why though. I was told that all you need to do to fit the seal is to gently tap it into place which is exactly what i have done.

Any ideas?

It's also leaking the other side but thats my fault.

Coops
19-12-2008, 17:13
just a thought but do you need to prime gearbox seals like oil filters?

cliokiz
19-12-2008, 17:20
How do you mean?

MAXIBOY
19-12-2008, 17:51
need to be oiled to avoid them getting to hot when first used..

cliokiz
19-12-2008, 17:54
Oiled where?

cliokiz
19-12-2008, 17:54
I didn't use any oil on it just a bit of washing up liquid on the outer edge to help it slide into place :oops:

Coops
19-12-2008, 18:36
see where u used the washing up liquid, shud of used box oil is what i mean, no idea what that washing up stuff would of done, made it leak maybe :P

cliokiz
22-12-2008, 13:54
Well..

Interestingly, i drained the gearbox oil from the box and ripped the passenger side shaft out as it was leaking there too.

Turned the rubber around and bolted the shaft back on extremely tight.

Tapped the seal on the other side a little bit with a spanner to see if it'd go on any further, didn't really see it move but i gave it a couple of hard knocks.

Filled the box back up with oil and it doesn't appear to be leaking from either end of the box, so thumbs up so far, although i've not had a chance to drive it so it might end up leaking again.

I've got a new problem now though, the headgasket has gone :evil:

It's pissing coolant out the corner where the head meets the bottom end, above the starter motor, FFS.

So, all gotta be taken apart again now.

andreas395
22-12-2008, 14:19
Well..

Interestingly, i drained the gearbox oil from the box and ripped the passenger side shaft out as it was leaking there too.

Turned the rubber around and bolted the shaft back on extremely tight.

Tapped the seal on the other side a little bit with a spanner to see if it'd go on any further, didn't really see it move but i gave it a couple of hard knocks.

Filled the box back up with oil and it doesn't appear to be leaking from either end of the box, so thumbs up so far, although i've not had a chance to drive it so it might end up leaking again.

I've got a new problem now though, the headgasket has gone :evil:

It's pissing coolant out the corner where the head meets the bottom end, above the starter motor, FFS.

So, all gotta be taken apart again now.

sorry to hear that mate cars are one big never ending mission at least you can do it you self think of the people that have to pay to get all they work done good luck with the mision mate

cliokiz
22-12-2008, 17:05
lol, i've never done a head gasket before but i'm not paying no garage to do it!

I'll be doing the work myself, like i've done everything else myself where possible!

Wobba
22-12-2008, 17:25
lol, i've never done a head gasket before but i'm not paying no garage to do it!

I'll be doing the work myself, like i've done everything else myself where possible!

It's a pretty shit job, but it gives you a really good chance to sort out loads of other stuff. When I did mine I replaced lots of little bits and gave the whole bay a really good clean up and fluids flush.

Only shitter was having to spend a bomb when I had the head rebuilt, but you can just get in skimmed and pressure tested tbh which is far cheaper.

You'll be wise to replace cambelt and maybe waterpump at same time.

cliokiz
23-12-2008, 01:09
Cambelt and waterpump have already been done, did those before i put the engine in, so they're fine.

Just the gasket that needs to be done, everything else is new!

Will clean up the bay a bit more whilst its out tho.