PDA

View Full Version : Steering Play, left to right.

bodben
19-12-2008, 16:15
I have read a couple of threads on here about this, but I just want to confirm something. I have play in my steering wheel, feels like a "dead zone" in the steering radius, i.e. the play isn't the wheel physically moving up and down or laterally left and right, it is moving normally but not causing any change in the attitude of the wheels for a bout 3 degrees left and right of centre.

I looked in the bonnet whilst wobbling the wheel and noticed that in this dead zone the steering rack was not moving. This is what is confusing me really. Leads me to believe that there must be a joint in the column its self that has come lose, or perhaps where the column meets the rack?

What do you think? Could it be this? or does it sound more like track rod ends to you?

Thanks Guys.

Ben

busterhymes
19-12-2008, 16:30
if i read your thread right u have same prob as me and its the track rods themselves not the ends theres play at the rack end so need replacing and from what ive read makes big improvements to overall handling

renault prices around £70-80 or thereabouts
europart bout £40

prices per side m8
:) :)

Wobba
19-12-2008, 16:30
Could be the balljoint on track rod ends, yes.

They can be a pain to get off!

Also, there is the universal joint on the steering column which gets worn too. It has a rubber section built into it with is there to reduce vibration in the steering wheel. It can become worn.

Personally, I had my column joint welded and I replace the track rods and track rod ends at the same time. I also fitted new wishbones to tighten it all up even more and new ARB polybushes :)

There is no slack at all in anything anymore hohoho.

You can get track rods and track rod ends as a whole item from eurocarparts, though I bought the R19 16v ones, for a good price.

cliokiz
19-12-2008, 17:00
As above, your problem is definately with the steering column.

The car feels f*cking horrible to drive like that! Find yourself a column that has been welded or get another column and get it welded, then you can swap it with your old one and sell it on for someone else to do the same.

Once welded the difference you'll feel in the steering will be immense!

Get it done!

bodben
19-12-2008, 17:07
Thanks Guys! I will take a look down there, and Probably do what wobba has done and replace a few bits all at the same time! Can't wait to get it done and feel the difference!

Coops
19-12-2008, 17:17
easy to check, get under steering wheel in drivers foot well, see a big rubber boot where column goes through bulkhead, lift this up and uncerneath there is the universal joint, hold the column below this joint with one hand and wiggle steering wheel with other hand, if the column below the joint doesnt move when u move the steering wheel, then its that joint thats the issue

can be welded up in the car, just watch for melted rubber dropping onto ur carpet, put some wet rags down in the footwell

Wobba
19-12-2008, 17:19
Thanks Guys! I will take a look down there, and Probably do what wobba has done and replace a few bits all at the same time! Can't wait to get it done and feel the difference!

I have coilovers on mine now, but Sometimes the steering feels so stiff I think something is wrong with it! It's very precise now.

If you do the track rods, get the new ones and try and move the balljoint by hand before fitting it, its hard to budge it. Then if you get the old ones off do the same and you'll see the difference, its huge.

Remember, after doing track rods and ends you will need to get the tracking done, and not by some bunch of turds that have done mine in the past either! They made it worse than my 'by sight' setup I had it at.

Wobba
19-12-2008, 17:23
easy to check, get under steering wheel in drivers foot well, see a big rubber boot where column goes through bulkhead, lift this up and uncerneath there is the universal joint, hold the column below this joint with one hand and wiggle steering wheel with other hand, if the column below the joint doesnt move when u move the steering wheel, then its that joint thats the issue

can be welded up in the car, just watch for melted rubber dropping onto ur carpet, put some wet rags down in the footwell

And the small toxic fire hen the rubber catches fire :lol:

LEIGH-ANNE
19-12-2008, 17:28
Whooooowhooooooo

One thing ur learn about wobba is he likes to get himself in a kerfufle and change every single part in hes way.....hes spent many a time outside hes house getting moaned at by neighbours or the auth-oaty! Not forgetting how cold hes got!

Cliokiz is right :D ......most have had their column welded and thats end of story.....job done. Apparently most mot-ers wont be likely to check their anyway so ur fine.

Id sugest u do what coopsey boy :P says.....this will only cost ya around £20-30 from a garage or do it urself or sumthing if u have the skillz (lol) :wink:

My ex had this done on hes willy 2 and sorted the problem out full stop! He even got the garage where we get our mot's done to do it for us.

Always start with the cheaper and easier option first!

Thats my 5 eggs anyways...... :wink:

bodben
19-12-2008, 17:30
Lol Yeah I will be careful! Certainly don't want my Williams to catch fire! I know a good place to get me tracking sorted so thats not a problem :)

Thanks for the advice guys, you wonderful bunch of Williams Geeks.

LEIGH-ANNE
19-12-2008, 17:30
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9117

Im not a GEEK :wink: :P

bodben
19-12-2008, 17:49
haha Thats awesome though! I didn't find that post when I searched earlier! Thanks!!!

MAXIBOY
19-12-2008, 17:50
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/415d66f1.jpg

like that from another geek

LEIGH-ANNE
19-12-2008, 17:54
haha Thats awesome though! I didn't find that post when I searched earlier! Thanks!!!

Thats cos i happened to no it was there.... :wink:

cliokiz
19-12-2008, 17:56

I'll admit i'm a bit of a clio geek but i don't own a williams! :wink:

Just a hybrid and a turbo in the making thankyou please

bodben
19-12-2008, 18:21

I'll admit i'm a bit of a clio geek but i don't own a williams! :wink:

Just a hybrid and a turbo in the making thankyou please

Thats good enough for me mate!!

Coops
19-12-2008, 18:37
am a huge geek 8)

LEIGH-ANNE
20-12-2008, 00:47
NO.......ur not a geek ur a ****r :P :wink: