PDA

View Full Version : Heater won't heat.

bodben
18-12-2008, 00:01
simple as that really, my hearer wont produce a flow of warm air into the car, even with the dial all the way round to its maximum setting, strangely it seems like whilst the car is warming up from cold it will for a couple of mins produce luke warm air, then as the water temp rises the air coming into the car gets cold again and stays cold. Possible Thermostat problem?

Water temp seems fine to me, Just drove from Glasgow to Oxford, water temp stayed pretty much at halfway up the dial the whole way.

Thanks Guys.

Ben

LEIGH-ANNE
18-12-2008, 00:10
U do have coolant in ur tank dont u mate.....?

16v_paddy
18-12-2008, 00:12
could be fubared heater matrix

if he didn't have coolant it would've overheated on the road trip

bodben
18-12-2008, 09:49
Yes I do have coolant lol, i'm not a silly bugger. I'm gonna check the heater matrix and also make sure the previous owner didn't have a cold temp thermostat fitted.

MikeTCB
18-12-2008, 10:09
My heater matrix is knackered and doesn't work - it just produces cold air most of the time. If I rev the car hard though, it starts whining and then produces hot air. So I can either have a cold car that sounds OK, or a warm car which sounds like a mouse is being killed behind the dash!

(Am going to get a new matrix done in January though!)

Coops
18-12-2008, 10:20
ai matrix knackered mate, bastard of a job to fit, dash out pretty much :(

eternalife
18-12-2008, 10:35
Yes I do have coolant lol, i'm not a silly bugger. I'm gonna check the heater matrix and also make sure the previous owner didn't have a cold temp thermostat fitted.

LOL @ Silly bugger :lol:
As coops said - nasty job.
Although you could PM 'Matty86' on here he has done quite a few heater matrix changes (at least 4 that I know of).
Did one for my brother for a reasonable cost too.

My heater matrix is knackered and doesn't work - it just produces cold air most of the time. If I rev the car hard though, it starts whining and then produces hot air. So I can either have a cold car that sounds OK, or a warm car which sounds like a mouse is being killed behind the dash!

(Am going to get a new matrix done in January though!)

Matty86 has a video of this sound somewhere :lol:

Wobba
18-12-2008, 11:16
It could be an air lock in the matrix or blockage.

Remove coolant bottle cap. Unscrew radiator bleed screw, you may hear a hissing of air, this is trapped air in the top of the radiator. If this is the case, bleed the air ou and await the bubbles in the coolent to settle to a stream of coolant. Tighten radiator bleed screw.

Top up coolant, dont overfill.

Leaving the cap off, run car until cooling fan kicks in, may take a while.

Sometimes, I squeeze the pipes that lead into the bulkhead firmly and quickly to give any crap buildup in there a shove. Mind, they are hot.

Turn car off, fit cap back on, run car a bit with cap on.

May help.

bodben
18-12-2008, 12:20
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was going to bleed the system because I was also thinking there may be air in there, I shall have a tinker when I have an hour spare and see how she goes!!

Must remember to pay my membership fee today!

LEIGH-ANNE
18-12-2008, 14:17
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I was going to bleed the system because I was also thinking there may be air in there, I shall have a tinker when I have an hour spare and see how she goes!!

Must remember to pay my membership fee today!

:doit:

kneesparks
18-12-2008, 17:41
Had this on my old Valver. Done a cheeky lil fix...... Where the 2 pipes go into the bulk head of your car for the heating (flow & return) Take off doth pipes and blow water down the return pipe with a hose. The normal reason for no heat is that the matrix gets blocked so all the crap gets stuck up one end and stops flow, if you blow water the opposite way in it can blow the crap out. Its worked on a couple of my old cars now and cost nothing apart from time and a mess :lol: Try it it could save you lots of doe :wink:

bodben
18-12-2008, 18:01
That sounds like a good idea too! I found another little issue which i guess could possibly be related maybeeee

The driver side vent (on the right of the steering wheel) doesn't work. It is open and the closing mechanism seems to work i.e. not stuck shut. The system must be blocked somewhere...

MikeTCB
18-12-2008, 18:20
Yeah, my drivers vent is stuck open too so maybe they are related. Let us know what happens with it.

kneesparks
18-12-2008, 18:22
That sounds like a good idea too! I found another little issue which i guess could possibly be related maybeeee

The driver side vent (on the right of the steering wheel) doesn't work. It is open and the closing mechanism seems to work i.e. not stuck shut. The system must be blocked somewhere...
Undo the lil screws on the side of the vent where the lil speaker sits, slide out the whole vent and have a nose, the pipe may not be conected. :wink:

bodben
18-12-2008, 18:28
Also a good suggestion :) I can't wait to have time to tinker!

talkingfish
18-12-2008, 22:08
mine won't heat either, I think the matrix is knackered - bugger of a job to do (dash out)... try all the other things before having to bite the bullit (or wear a big coat!!!!)

bodben
18-12-2008, 22:27
haha, it was so cold on the drive back from Glasgow yesterday that I actually had to buy a pair of gloves at a service station to stop my fingers falling off! Add that to the torrential rain from the Lakes down to Birmingham and you have quite a nerve wracking outing!

But yeah, Don't mind replacing the matrix if I have to, Done lots of jobs like that on other cars before, I just switch the radio on and go onto auto pilot! Still though would be nice if it was something easier than that :) Hopefully I will have an hour or 2 this weekend to have a good old play!

Wobba
19-12-2008, 16:35
A new matrix is cheap, but if you get a quote from renault they will say it's a 9 hour job and that's what costs the money!

It's not a hard job, just a laborious one.

Daz.
19-12-2008, 16:59

The blocked bent is usually a crushed pipe - mine had been squshed and there was no way of pulling it out - in the end I used a picture screw hook twisted it in and pulled it out and just patched up the little hole I'd made.

Daz.
19-12-2008, 17:01
and by bent I mean vent :?

LEIGH-ANNE
19-12-2008, 18:09
and by bent I mean vent :?

:gay:

(second time tday ive used this lil pink fella on u lol

Daz.
19-12-2008, 18:35
I know I feel the internal battle brewing... George clooney a good looking chap isn't he?

LEIGH-ANNE
20-12-2008, 01:01
Internal battle.....?

Dont go much on george! :?