PDA

View Full Version : OIL CHANGE Clio 16v Ph1

shrimperwrx
17-12-2008, 18:38
Going to do an oil change tomorrow, does anyone have a step to step guide on this simple task....... some people do have different ideas !!! Cheers.

16v_paddy
17-12-2008, 19:31
Get the engine warmed up, 8mm square bit to undo the sump plug, let it drain for ages till sod all else comes out

I personally put some more oil in to help flush out the old stuff

Small hands & arms and maybe the skills of a contortionist to get the filter off

Bit of new oil on the rubber seal on the new filter, put it on but make sure its square 1st then tighten it up

sump plug back in, then fill her up

Wobba
17-12-2008, 19:43
Also:

There are two types of plug washer. One has a rubber seal and is reuseable, the other is a copper ring, which you need to renew and is stocked at Halfords.

When you undo sump plug, be ready for the oil as it comes out fast and if yer hand or arm is in the way you'll get coated. Oil in this state is absorbed into the skin and is carcinogenic, so wear gloves.

white16valver
17-12-2008, 19:49
Pretty much as above, although here's a bit more of an 'idiots guide' so that even I could follow it :oops: :lol: :)

Get it warmed up nicely.

Get it up on axle stands (ideally).

Get your container for your old oil ready and underneath the sump plug.

8mm square bit to undo the sump plug (available from halfords for about £4).

(Take care not to drop the plug or washer into the container if it's a deep container as you'll have to fish it out later! lol)

When it's finished draining, or is just a trickle, remove the oil filter. It should just be hand-tight, and I accessed it by lying on the floor parallel to the front of the car and reaching up behind the rad until I could feel it and turn it round to get it off. It will probably still have oil in it so expect to get messy lol

Replace the sump plug and washer. You could fit a new washer on it - they're about a quid from renault. (Part number will be on here somewhere or it should be on the system at Renault.) Otherwise I believe you can heat the old copper ones up again to help them seal properly.

Smear oil round the rubber of the new filter. (I think you can put some oil in it too, ideally, but I can't remember if I did that or not.) Reach up as before and fit it, being careful not to cross-thread it or do it up too tight.

Remove the filler cap if you haven't already and refill the engine with the new oil. 5 litres should do it I think, as iirc sump capacity is 4.5 litres? I'm using 5w40 Elf Excellium from the dealers (about £23 if they're a decent parts department).

Let it settle for a bit, check the levels on the dipstick, when it's all correct replace the filler cap.

Get it off the axle stands. Start it up. Hear the smoothness 8) (when the oil's fiinally circulated fully lol)

Take the old oil down the local dump to dispose of it in the oil container thing there.

Job done. :)

shrimperwrx
17-12-2008, 22:33
cheers lads........ thanks for the info !!!!! don't think i can mess this one up !!!

number1
17-12-2008, 22:58
Should also run it breifly until oil light goes out, then recheck level as the filter has to fill properly, regardless if you fill the filter first, you wont believe how much oil a filter will hold!

16v_paddy
17-12-2008, 23:05
My garage floor can vouch for that :shock: :lol:

Oil filter was the very last thing I took off when stripping my engine :x made a right mess :oops: