PDA

View Full Version : Just been out in the Williams

Jamie.
13-12-2008, 13:56
Decided to tax my car and take her out.

Wow, how much feed back do you get from these cars - felt amazing to drive it again. Also LOVE the gear ratio's perfect IMO. And you know EXACTLY where you are with this car, little too much throttle, sliding a bit etc etc.

However, two issues arose:

1.) Brakes - these really are shit. Not sure if it is beacuse it has been sat for a while? It has those hi-spec 4 pots and prior to that the standard brakes were also shit. Don't like how much pedal travel there is maybe a performance master cylinder?

2.) Grip - maybe just those Toyo's but you could light them up in 2nd so easily and felt so slidy. Like it was running on tip toes, the 172 doesn't feel that 'edgy'.

I cannot make up my fecking mind with this car. I feel by holding onto it I am missing out on further opportunities to drive and own other cars. Bloody brilliant to drive.

arj256
13-12-2008, 14:33
However, two issues arose:

1.) Brakes - these really are s**t. Not sure if it is beacuse it has been sat for a while? It has those hi-spec 4 pots and prior to that the standard brakes were also s**t. Don't like how much pedal travel there is maybe a performance master cylinder?

2.) Grip - maybe just those Toyo's but you could light them up in 2nd so easily and felt so slidy. Like it was running on tip toes, the 172 doesn't feel that 'edgy'.

1.) - Could be that you have become used to over servo'd brakes.
The older the car, the more you have to push the pedal to make the brakes work.
Either drive the car a lot and get used to it, or fit a modern master cylinder..

2.) - Have a look at your tyre pressures. Can make or break a tyre imo.

2 live
13-12-2008, 18:23
I cannot make up my fecking mind with this car. I feel by holding onto it I am missing out on further opportunities to drive and own other cars. Bloody brilliant to drive.

if u enjoy driving for the sake of driving........then how are u missing out by owning one of the best drivers cars ever produced??

they werent up against serious competition, and still years after they ceased production for nothing mate..............u not losing out on anything. if owt, tis the ppl who dont own one of these cars that are missing out on sume pure driving pleasure........keep it....u know u want to.

andreas395
13-12-2008, 18:58

if u enjoy driving for the sake of driving........then how are u missing out by owning one of the best drivers cars ever produced??

they werent up against serious competition, and still years after they ceased production for nothing mate..............u not losing out on anything. if owt, tis the ppl who dont own one of these cars that are missing out on sume pure driving pleasure........keep it....u know u want to.

WELL SAID ^^^ KEEP IT NOT MANY OTHER CARS OUT THERE CAN GIVE YOU AS MUCH FUN TO DRIVE AS A WILLIAMS :!:

Jamie.
13-12-2008, 19:40
Yeh just if I sold both me cars I could knock about in a Focus RS or something similar and the events are mutually exclusive.

Will be keeping it for now though as jumping back into it after not driving it for a couple of months it is megger!!!!

2 live
13-12-2008, 19:44
yeah but why would u want a fucus Really Shite?

hehe

too many of these cars end up in garages/storage not getting driven. its like buyin a top of the range plasma/lcd, all singin all dancing.......then leaving it in the box and watching a 14" black n white portable all the time.

Jamie.
13-12-2008, 19:50
The Williams will be only a weekend car for me now but I will be making time for it. Maybe take it once a week to work or something. Its too raw for my 30 mile a day commute on A/Motorways. The 172 is perfect for that, easy to use, low hassle and good mpg. In hindsight I should have gone for a small engined car for a rebate on insurance but nm.

Tommo
13-12-2008, 22:26
Yeah that's what I do mate, take her to work once a week and give her a blast at weekends. Keeps the miles down but also gets used and driven hard like they were intended! Keep hold, you know it makes sense!

Coops
15-12-2008, 20:28
get the system fully bled mate, std brakes on my williams are bob on, bite hard and stop quick, in fact am thinkin of gettin the 4pots on the turbo rebled as they dont feel that much better than the std setup on the willy :shock: or maybe thats just suspension, willy is a bit more spongy :lol:

kneesparks
15-12-2008, 20:59
get the system fully bled mate, std brakes on my williams are bob on, bite hard and stop quick, in fact am thinkin of gettin the 4pots on the turbo rebled as they dont feel that much better than the std setup on the willy :shock: or maybe thats just suspension, willy is a bit more spongy :lol:
What he said, my williams has std breaks and they are vgood, i also have TOYO T1R's on mine and they are pap in this weather, im going for the Goodyear F1 GSD3's next, will not use the TOYO's again. :roll:

white16valver
16-12-2008, 16:28
Get the system drained and refilled perhaps?

And yes, F1s are 100000% better than shit toyos!!