PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass/Carbon Fibre Roof Skins ...

ClioDan87
09-12-2008, 23:55
Ok so i have a possibility of setting up a Group buy for a direct replacement roof skin for the mk1 clio.

The mould and skins will be made and produced by www.performance-trim.co.uk

They need a minimum of 4 Carbon Roof skin orders to make the mould and it will take approximatly 2 weeks to make the mould and they will be making 1/2 a week.

The prices ..

Carbon Fibre Skin - £395 + VAT
Fiberglass Skin - £225 + VAT
Delivery Charge - £29.50 (Optional) Fully insured, and offers a direct replacement for broken or lost Skins

Now they do not expect you to pay the entire amount for the skin before they produce the mould but they need a deposit off the members interested.

THIS WILL MEAN PUTTING A 50% DEPOSIT DOWN ON WHICH SKIN YOU WANT ..

NAMES :-

1. ClioDan87

Any Queries welcome, ill do my best to answer, if i cant answer i shall email Performance trim to ask. :)

MAXIBOY
10-12-2008, 01:05
Ok so i have a possibility of setting up a Group buy for a direct replacement roof skin for the mk1 clio.

The mould and skins will be made and produced by www.performance-trim.co.uk

They need a minimum of 4 Carbon Roof skin orders to make the mould and it will take approximatly 2 weeks to make the mould and they will be making 1/2 a week.

The prices ..

Carbon Fibre Skin - £395 + VAT
Fiberglass Skin - £225 + VAT
Delivery Charge - £29.50 (Optional) Fully insured, and offers a direct replacement for broken or lost Skins

Now they do not expect you to pay the entire amount for the skin before they produce the mould but they need a deposit off the members interested.

THIS WILL MEAN PUTTING A 50% DEPOSIT DOWN ON WHICH SKIN YOU WANT ..

NAMES :-

1. ClioDan87
2. Maxiboy...

Any Queries welcome, ill do my best to answer, if i cant answer i shall email Performance trim to ask. :)

white16valver
11-12-2008, 19:30
Dumb question alert...

So the skin just replaces the entire roof section?

or bonds on top?

Is it as structurally strong as the standard metal version?

:oops:

Will16valver
11-12-2008, 20:07
well i was thinkin it was to replace the roof linning :oops:

scott j
11-12-2008, 20:12
Dumb question alert...

So the skin just replaces the entire roof section?

or bonds on top?

Is it as structurally strong as the standard metal version?

:oops:
yes i wana know this too, as very intrested in a carbon one for myself, not too fusy about strenth as guna go leightweight, but how do u bond, and where does the roof run too? or what needs to be cut?

speed
11-12-2008, 21:01
hi guys
it is a replacement roof skin, the original roof will need cuttin off and the new one bonding on.

the part that is removed is between the roof gutters, all that section from windscreen to tailgate, a + is that those leaky sunroofs get removed.

if you are genuinly intrested add your name to the list, we need a min of 4 carbon roofs inorder for the molds to be made.
dont forget a 50% deposit is needed. i think deposits will be taken in january

ClioDan87
13-12-2008, 16:45
Ok as Speed said, it is a complete Roof skin WITHOUT a sunroof.

It will be as strong as a metal one yes, cause if you remove the roof lining your roof will flex like a bitch.

It will be professionally made by Performance-trim.co.uk and as Speed said you need to pay a 50% deposit upfront so they will produce the mould and start knocking the skins out at 1/2 a week.

To fit this skin you will need to remove the bulk of the roof without cutting into the Chanels. The skin will come into the chanels to give you something to bond to. Either use Sikoflex or Tiger seal or equivilant.
Once skin is laied on you will need to drill a hole every 6 inch's down both the chanels and rivet the skin to the shell while the panel bond is curing.

Please note, to fit this skin you need to remove the tailgate and front windscreen! Removing the front windscreen isnt a problem, just use a sharp blade and cut from the inside around the edge. If you dont feel confident enough to do it, RAC or Auto Windscreens would do it for a small fee.

Pictures of the same skin can be found off Beanie. has he has just fitted one to his Track toy. I will ask him permission to use a few pictures to give an example.

Hope this helps, and any other questions are welcome.
If i cant answer them i will email Mike at Performance-trim and ask him

Cheers Dan

busterhymes
13-12-2008, 18:38
whilst i can appreciate the lightweight aspect of this mod surely you lose the structural integrity as a bit of goo and some rivets will offer no where near the rigidity that the std body offers resulting in a reduction in strength of the whole body and seriously compromising safety :? :?

ClioDan87
13-12-2008, 21:34
I understand where your coming from.

But have you ever removed a mk1 clio rooflining? The flex on the roof is rediculous!

I put a cage in mine once id seen how much flex there was!

It wouldnt make the structure of the car any weaker, as you are replacing the metal skin with a carbon one. Ie - Flexing

This group buy is aimed at those people who have track toys. not a day to day run around which most of the guys in on the group buy already have Cage's and bucket's.

Hope this clears it up! :)

scott j
13-12-2008, 21:48
thats clear with me, lol, im already saving money for a serious cage, but needed sum info on how and what work is ivolved to fit the skin

busterhymes
13-12-2008, 23:20
happy to leave my roof lining where it is :wink: and get the idea that the buy is aimed at the trackday lads but still wonder if you run a carbon roof fitted in the way you state would it give anymore rigidity especially without a rollcage or are you stating that this mod is to be done inconjunction with a rollcage my comments are just on here as food for thought and not to piss on your ideas for your group buy and certainly like to see some further postings from someone who carries out this mod should make good reading :) :)

ClioDan87
14-12-2008, 20:06
I completly understand what you mean mate, no hard feelings on my behalf! :)

Tbh, yes it would require a rollcage in conjunction with the Roof skin if you wanted to be alot more safer and in line with the newer modern day cars if you rolled it.

But ...it can be fitted without and it wont cause the shell to flex, it will simply be for looks on a day to day car, IF you were to roll it, without a rollcage i dont know what distorsion the carbon skin would go threw but just look at videos on you tube of mk1 clios that have rolled, you will see how poor the structure is.

As for fitting for the other member who asked, i have put a brief description in the thread a few posts back :)

Any more questions welcome!

arj256
14-12-2008, 20:34
Ok as Speed said, it is a complete Roof skin WITHOUT a sunroof.

It will be as strong as a metal one yes, cause if you remove the roof lining your roof will flex like a bitch.

To fit this skin you will need to remove the bulk of the roof without cutting into the Chanels. The skin will come into the chanels to give you something to bond to. Either use Sikoflex or Tiger seal or equivilant.
Once skin is laied on you will need to drill a hole every 6 inch's down both the chanels and rivet the skin to the shell while the panel bond is curing.

Hope this helps, and any other questions are welcome.
If i cant answer them i will email Mike at Performance-trim and ask him

Cheers Dan

The roof may perhaps flex, but if you look at the cars structure. The flexing of the chassis has to be channeled out to the weakest part of the chassis.
Which on Clio's is the roof.
If you fit a roll cage and strut braces etc, you can eventually see signs of the roof trying to flex.
Despite the chassis being stiffened up.
So the movement of the roof is a good thing in ways, as its not being channeled else where.
Which could cause cracks etc.

You could find that long term these sort of roofs will be subject to fatigue because of this.
It would be good if there was an approved fitting guide from the manufacturers, rather than a sheet of carbon being sold as a direct replacement..
There's always more to something than meets the eye.

ClioDan87
16-12-2008, 18:34
www.performance-trim.co.uk

Offer a fitting option at an approved bodyshop of there own.

For the cost of £400

Dan

ClioDan87
31-12-2008, 01:50
Bump. The new year is almost here ..

Any takers to you track slags?! ;)