PDA

View Full Version : smoke and heat problems!!!

Mattie
30-06-2005, 11:16
iv just bought a clio williams 2! its been standing since feb though so needs a little TLC n sortin out (spark plugs etc) this aside i got home from work the other day n noticed smoke was cumin from under my bonnett so i ad a luk but cdnt c where it was cumin from, all i can tell you is that it was cumin up between the heat sheild and the engine...any ideas???

also im gettin really bad heat problems! after about 15 mins of drivin the area around the handbreak, gear stick and the head unit (after bout 40mins drivin) start 2 get extreamly hot! could it be the cat over heating or sumthin?

can sum1 plz help?!?!? :(

KingStromba
30-06-2005, 11:22
Until youve located the problem. DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR

FlamingMonkey
30-06-2005, 11:28
Could be oil leaking on the manifold after being stood for so long, it would burn off pretty quick I would imagine

Welcome by the way 8)

Purple
30-06-2005, 11:29
Colour of smoke? Does it smell like exhaust? Could the exhaust be escaping from a loose manifold or downpipe.

Bottom of handbrake can get quite hot to touch.

Slithers
30-06-2005, 11:32
Smoke probs, possibly summit stuck on the manifld thats burning, maybe an oil or coolant leak onto the zorst manifold.

Spark plug covers falling onto the manifold produce a lot of smoke from this area, also maybe a faulty starter motor.

Heat problems, its prob the summer weather and the intense light heating the plastic up.

Mattie
30-06-2005, 11:38
ye it dus smell like the exhaust burning, the smokes a light grey kinda colour...also wen i rev the engine to around 3000 / 4000 rpm aload of orange rusty type stuff cums out the exhaust :?

northy
30-06-2005, 11:46
get the car jacked up and have a look to see if there are any heats shields missing.

as for the smoke...probally just crap burning off...let it idle with the bonnet open till its all gone.

Mattie
30-06-2005, 11:57
if i leave it idle the smoke dies away but cums bk agen after i use it agen!
it luks like theres only half a heat sheild over the cat...is it ment 2 luk like that or dus it sound as if theres sumthin missin? the heat sheild is over the rear end end of ther cat...

northy
30-06-2005, 12:03
there are 3 heat shields under the car.

small above the cat, then the cat heat shield mounts to the middle heat shield.

There is another one to cover the back box.

Sounds like u might have a oil leak somewhere on your engine which burns off once the engine is started the next day.

can u get some pictures up ?

Purple
30-06-2005, 12:04
Should be something like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tywee/cliowilliams/shield.jpg

Mattie
30-06-2005, 12:17
not sure i got 3 heat shields luks like only 1...allthough i cant remember if bk box as got 1 over it or not :? cant get any pictures up cuz im at work at the mo , sorry! ill try and get sum up though as soon as pos. thanks for your help every1!

keep the info cumin!