PDA

View Full Version : headlight bulb upgrade

schakal
03-12-2008, 15:16
realised how crap my headlights are night driving on the motorway
a few days back :? been hearing good stuff about phillips bulbs
for a while ,just wondering if anyone have experienced them ?

there is the 2 i found on ebay , anyone been using these ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330285793249

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290278067956

FATBOY
03-12-2008, 19:12
i would convert straight to HIDS mate. cant beat them. not sure a bulb upgrade would help that much????(IMHO). see what some other members say on this?

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 19:39

there is the 2 i found on ebay , anyone been using these ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330285793249

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290278067956

As per FATBOY mate

HID's

IIts the best £100 ive ever spent on my car without question.

Theyre like lighting up a city when you have them on

Fcuk all these idiots who flash you, peeps who say 'no they are too bright, theyre dangerous', everyone is here to look after themselves! :o

I was coming back on the m62 the other week ands theres a lot of unlit parts and i lamost dread to think how id of done with my 1995 oe originals! The whole path was just lit for me.

Im on 8000K at the mo and some peeps think theyre gash but i like them :o

The best thing about them too is you know they look cool, as when your coming up behind peeps in there cars you can just see the bulb twinkling away on their rear paintwork.

I had some and the ballast went after 2 weeks but 6 months down the line after the guy replaced the ballast under warranty ive had no probs.

Theyre a bit fiddly to fit but well worth it

:o

I got mine from this chap, great guy to deal with despite a few negs he has, UK too

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/hids-direct

Thats my penneth about hids

arj256
03-12-2008, 19:42
I bought a HID kit for my 19, and yes it was lovely and bright. The regular flashes from oncoming traffic lost its novelty.
Despite it being mot legal and correctly aimed.

Personally its going to be PIAA bulbs for me each time.
Not as bright as HID's, but not far off either with healthy headlights and alt.

arj256
03-12-2008, 19:46
Fcuk all these idiots who flash you, peeps who say 'no they are too bright, theyre dangerous', everyone is here to look after themselves! :o

Perhaps there flashing for good reason ;) there being blinded :roll:
I wouldn't want it on my conscience knowing i caused an accident for a selfish lighting setup.

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 19:50
The regular flashes from oncoming traffic lost its novelty

It happens a lot to me to be honest and they are correctly aligned too.

I dont get a smile from it at all, im not arsed, at the end of the day i like them so im real chuffed with them.

Some of these porsches and mercs have stupidly bright hids on i notice.

I think they should reduce your insurance premium anyway, as theyre a safety feature! :P

One of my friends works for morethan insurance and he says theyre just writing cars off that have these hid lights on when theyre involved in accidents, im referring to cars like puntos at 5k new, as theyre just too expensive for replacing the lights. Sort of true if you think about it, these bulbs are £100's oe from dealers!

8)

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 19:52

I wouldn't want it on my conscience knowing i caused an accident for a selfish lighting setup.

:roll:

MatrixGuy
03-12-2008, 20:06
Has anyone tried Osram Nightbreakers? Supposed to be good.

eternalife
03-12-2008, 20:22
Fitting after market HID kits to headlight lenses that were not designed as such is ridiculous.
The 'cut off' for the scatter of the light and the blinding nature of them is hugely increased.

OEM Fitted HID's:
http://www.3.je/hid.jpg

Aftermarket Fitted HID's to non designed Lenses:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa134/northern_imports/AfterB_Re.jpg

Clear to see the difference in the two examples above.

To simply say 'i like them and I don't care about others' is not only selfish it is irresponsible.
Cannot even begin to think what it must do for motorcylist who are viewing the world through a visor - glare must truly be unbearable!!

If persons do want more light, a good set of bulbs will do the trick, be totally legal, provide good visibilty without the stupid scatter reaching the moon and stars, cost less and not piss of every oncoming road user.

Hardly a difficult choice IMO :roll:

Matty86
03-12-2008, 20:23
The regular flashes from oncoming traffic lost its novelty

It happens a lot to me to be honest and they are correctly aligned too.

I dont get a smile from it at all, im not arsed, at the end of the day i like them so im real chuffed with them.

Some of these porsches and mercs have stupidly bright hids on i notice.

yeh, great attitude 'I'm ok, **** everyone else' :roll: :roll:

thanks for all that unnecessary glare you and others give me, causing me to be blinded - real safe.

how you can think a clio with hids fitted will have a proper beam pattern and cutoff is beyond me

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 20:42
Matty86 - Firstly, do you run an aftermarket exahust on your car? Im sure you do like the rest of us on here, and I bet ''strictly'' its not road legal despite what the manual says, causing ''unwanted and unecessary'' noise levels..maybe you even run a decat pipe thus giving extra unwanted and undue noise levels..so to an effect you are using a product that is unnecessary and a pain in the arse quite frankly to the everyday passer by who will think what a 'twat' when your driving down the road and ragging the arse of your car

Eternalife - That picture you have there is of my clio hids, taken at night with a camera phone not giving the full 'proper picture'. I can assure you that my hids on my car look no different whatsoever to my next door neighbours £30k jaguar x type

So if you both went to a main bmw/jaguar/porsche dealer and bought a car with hids on, youd ask them to downgrade the lights would you for thought of other road users? The answer would for sure be NO

I had a porsche cayenne behind me coming home from work tonight and the brightness of their lights was shocking, but i just let them get on with it

:lol:

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 20:47
Fitting after market HID kits to headlight lenses that were not designed as such is ridiculous.
The 'cut off' for the scatter of the light and the blinding nature of them is hugely increased.

OEM Fitted HID's:
http://www.3.je/hid.jpg

Aftermarket Fitted HID's to non designed Lenses:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa134/northern_imports/AfterB_Re.jpg

Clear to see the difference in the two examples above.

To simply say 'i like them and I don't care about others' is not only selfish it is irresponsible.
Cannot even begin to think what it must do for motorcylist who are viewing the world through a visor - glare must truly be unbearable!!

If persons do want more light, a good set of bulbs will do the trick, be totally legal, provide good visibilty without the stupid scatter reaching the moon and stars, cost less and not piss of every oncoming road user.

Hardly a difficult choice IMO :roll:

I cant quite see how you could possibly makes judgements from two pictures?

A - the fact being mine is quite obviously of poorer quality to the 1st?

B - Them being 2 totally different Kelvin ratings?

Im going to do you for copyright infringement anyway!

:P :wink:

FATBOY
03-12-2008, 20:59
right for a start people. calm down!!!! lets not get heated over this!!!! in my 2 years of having HIDS ive never been flashed for them being aimed wrongly/blinding other road users. also mine always pass my mot. and where can we get these headlight lenses from????

eternalife, is that first picture from a clio????

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 21:04
:discussion:

schakal
03-12-2008, 21:09
easy people :P

i dont know why this turned out to be a fight especially
when i did not start it :D

anyways ,i dont want hids at all ,i just want something
between hids and £5 a pair h4 bulbs .

schakal
03-12-2008, 21:11
I bought a HID kit for my 19, and yes it was lovely and bright. The regular flashes from oncoming traffic lost its novelty.
Despite it being mot legal and correctly aimed.

Personally its going to be PIAA bulbs for me each time.
Not as bright as HID's, but not far off either with healthy headlights and alt.

tell me more about this please ?? :P

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 21:14

I dont think its a fight mate, just a heated debate.

Im just not into the 'your bulbs are dangerous nonsense'

Im sure everyone on this forum speeds which is far more dangerous than a set of road legals headlight bulbs

I used these mate before i got my hids

was more than happy with them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PHILIPS-X-TREME-POWER-H7-EXTREME-XTREME-XENON-BULBS_W0QQitemZ260326413404QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item26032641340 4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

schakal
03-12-2008, 21:24

I dont think its a fight mate, just a heated debate.

Im just not into the 'your bulbs are dangerous nonsense'

Im sure everyone on this forum speeds which is far more dangerous than a set of road legals headlight bulbs

I used these mate before i got my hids

was more than happy with them

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PHILIPS-X-TREME-POWER-H7-EXTREME-XTREME-XENON-BULBS_W0QQitemZ260326413404QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C arsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item26032641340 4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A13 18

cheers ,thats the sort of info i was after .
same bulbs here in h4 style and cheaper

just wondering if piaas are worth forking out an extra
20 quid thats all

:roll:

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 21:32
^^

Ive heard a lot of good things about piaas but never used them so couldnt comment, maybe some one will come along to give a bit

Im no expert about electrics but i presume technology and brightness of bulbs running off a battery is probably at its best now.

The hids come with a ballast for each bulb which i presume is like their own battery giving unlimited brightness to a point.

So id presume of unless your running real shitters maybe you wont get any brighter than what your already on..maybe im wrong though

I usually am! lol!

arj256
03-12-2008, 21:45
tell me more about this please ?? :P

I bought some PIAA H4 Plasma Fx Blue Headlight Bulbs few years ago for £29. Which was good value as they have doubled now on tweeks :(

They give off a nice clean white light around 4300k with a pink tinge to them.
The beam is strong and clean. Which goes as far as the headlight lamp allows.
Might be able to get a comparison picture later on in the week.

Are they worth the money? well there a lot of money for in essence bulbs.
They do give decent light imo, when you consider your putting them inside a 90's lamp design.
I will be buying some again when i need to.

It could be worth looking at your lighting system first though.
Changing the headlights for new items helps out well.
And making sure you have a decent wiring and alternator helps keep the lights brighter.

The standard lights are not that bad if the system is in top order.

Matty86
03-12-2008, 22:32
Matty86 - Firstly, do you run an aftermarket exahust on your car? Im sure you do like the rest of us on here, and I bet ''strictly'' its not road legal despite what the manual says, causing ''unwanted and unecessary'' noise levels..maybe you even run a decat pipe thus giving extra unwanted and undue noise levels..so to an effect you are using a product that is unnecessary and a pain in the arse quite frankly to the everyday passer by who will think what a 't**t' when your driving down the road and ragging the arse of your car

yes, an exhaust is really the same as blinding people :roll:

you assume I rag it everywhere, upsetting all the locals, thanks - or is that just how you drive? The 911 turbo at the end of my road makes more noise! hell a diesel transit van is probably louder and more annoying.

When I see a car coming the other way with massively out of alignment lights, *that* makes me think 'what a twat'. Maybe I should paint my car a nice shade of grey to be easier on the eye too? :roll:

also, see here: ;)
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30236

Eternalife - That picture you have there is of my clio hids, taken at night with a camera phone not giving the full 'proper picture'. I can assure you that my hids on my car look no different whatsoever to my next door neighbours £30k jaguar x type

no, it wont be will it. you don't seem to realise that cars that come from the factory with xenons will have a suitably designed lens. look at the photos EL posted - can you honestly say your upper beam cut off is as good as a factory installed HID?

So if you both went to a main bmw/jaguar/porsche dealer and bought a car with hids on, youd ask them to downgrade the lights would you for thought of other road users? The answer would for sure be NO

no one is deny that the light is bright, we're complaining about it being bright in the wrong directions!

I had a porsche cayenne behind me coming home from work tonight and the brightness of their lights was shocking, but i just let them get on with it

yes, just because other road users do it, it must be alright

I cant quite see how you could possibly makes judgements from two pictures?

A - the fact being mine is quite obviously of poorer quality to the 1st?

B - Them being 2 totally different Kelvin ratings?

I don't get what photo colour/quality or light temperature has to do with the beam leakage! look at the walls of that building and you can quiet easily see beam leakage and a poorly defined cut off. I fail to see how you're finding that so difficult to see

hahah, another one suckered in to the whole OMGZ SPEED KILLS!!1! - let me guess, you're worried about my CO2 emissions as well :roll: Imagine wafting down the motorway at 75mph... think of all those children that will be killed!!

and just because you don't get flash doesn't mean you're not causing glare! although by that argument I could invalidate your exhaust argument based on the fact of not getting any complaints.

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 23:20
Im afraid to say Matty that some of your points are absolute nonsense...

You seem to have some serious issue with HID's, maybe you should think about not speeding and protesting against people that do speed rather than people who have HID's installed into their vehicles, that are perfectly road legal, set up in an MOT sation light box That would probably save more lives than my HID's that apparently blind people, causing crashes, and blinding motor cyclists looking through clear visors, that have apparently terrible beam leakage, which after all is easy to see from that picture that I took which is over an approx area of 15+ ft wide...

I doubt that your picture would show a cut off like it does over an area of 15ft+ wide, butted right up against a fence, squashed into an area that is probably no more than 6ftx3ft. I guess light has to fade out unevenly at some point doesnt it?

AND FACT OF THE MILLENIUM, SPEED KILLS. :roll:

arj256
03-12-2008, 23:36
Not quite 'perfectly road legal' http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps :wink:

Matty86
03-12-2008, 23:37
Im afraid to say Matty that some of your points are absolute nonsense...

Please can you tell me which ones and why?

You seem to have some serious issue with HID's, maybe you should think about not speeding and protesting against people that do speed rather than people who have HID's installed into their vehicles, that are perfectly road legal, set up in an MOT sation light box That would probably save more lives than my HID's that apparently blind people, causing crashes, and blinding motor cyclists looking through clear visors, that have apparently terrible beam leakage, which after all is easy to see from that picture that I took which is over an approx area of 15+ ft wide...

I doubt that your picture would show a cut off like it does over an area of 15ft+ wide, butted right up against a fence, squashed into an area that is probably no more than 6ftx3ft. I guess light has to fade out unevenly at some point doesnt it?

I'm sorry, where did I say I speed?

I will say it again, I have nothing against HIDs... in the correct lens. Yours aren't and so you get that glare, which can blind other motorists

I don't know why you're quoting widths theres, thats totally irrelevant. Firstly your car is just as close to that wall as the other example posted. secondly, no matter how far back the car is the sharp cutoff from the projectors won't change - light tends to travel in a straight line.

AND FACT OF THE MILLENIUM, SPEED KILLS. :roll:

FACT OF THE MILLENNIUM, no it doesn't - inappropriate speed might, but even then it only accounts for a tiny amount accidents - but don't let that get in the way of the anti-speed brigade :roll: - certainly expected people to know better on this forum.

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 23:47
[quote="arj256"]Not quite 'perfectly road legal' http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps :wink:[/quote

Some people have too much time on their hands :wink:

Always a grey area after market stuff though isnt it.

I wonder how theyre approved to be road legal and not just the ones i have purchased but other market hids too. The ones I purchased have several coding/markings on them for approval et

PS - I feel sorry for schakal, we have totally pilfered his thread

:delete:

Matty86
03-12-2008, 23:56
not exactly grey based on that link

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

and I'm glad this thread arose. discussions like this are always useful when recommending proposed upgrades

schakal
04-12-2008, 00:11

chill , i just bought a pair of philips extremes with
15% discount voucher from ebay :P :lol:

FOR THOSE AFTER BUYING STUFF OF EBAY THESE DAYS
USE REDEMPTION CODE CUKGV3 FOR 15% DISCOUNT.
HURRY !!!! OFFER ENDS TOMORROW :shock:

FATBOY
04-12-2008, 00:11
does a correct lens unit exist for the mark 1 clio? I take it the unit will be clear and not frosted type like a oem lens?

1995clio16v
04-12-2008, 00:20

Your Joking! That means we could all go to ebay and buy some aftermarket HID's with 15% off. BARGAIN! :wink:

Im going to bed, youve got your extremes, good bulbs! PLus im bored of this thread now :o

Matty86
04-12-2008, 00:23
would have to be a projector lens... the angel eyes that k-tec sell look like they might be? who knows on the quality though...

then again, they do say they they're E-marked :?

Justin..
04-12-2008, 00:49
angel eyes are projector lensed. though the set i have had a sticker saying no HID lol

i guess its cos of the plastic front? i still fitted some tho :oops:

Daz.
04-12-2008, 07:53

FOR THOSE AFTER BUYING STUFF OF EBAY THESE DAYS
USE REDEMPTION CODE CUKGV3 FOR 15% DISCOUNT.
HURRY !!!! OFFER ENDS TOMORROW :shock:

arse bastard! I was sent that code and bloody deleted it, had to pay full price for a pair of trainers :lol:

Daz.
04-12-2008, 07:55
Im going to bed, youve got your extremes, good bulbs! PLus im bored of this thread now :o

is that because you lost? :lol: 8)

1995clio16v
04-12-2008, 14:29

is that because you lost? :lol: 8)

Depends how you look at it... :D

arj256
04-12-2008, 19:27
Not quite 'perfectly road legal' http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps :wink:

Some people have too much time on their hands :wink:

Always a grey area after market stuff though isnt it.

I wonder how theyre approved to be road legal and not just the ones i have purchased but other market hids too. The ones I purchased have several coding/markings on them for approval et

Sorry to disappoint but i have a good memory, thus being able to recall what i read and where :wink:

This particular item isn't a grey area though. Its clearly stated what the rules are.

Lunner
06-12-2008, 15:47
halford rally bulbs, had then fitted for good few years now, dipped beams are slight improvement, and main beams are a huge improvement, never been flashed with them, and best part is they are about a tenner per side

LEIGH-ANNE
06-12-2008, 16:12
white16valver was after another set of these PIAAS im sure he has an opinion - but as new bulbs are now brought i dont suppose theres much else to discuss.....lol

BRUN
06-12-2008, 17:10
bought

LEIGH-ANNE
06-12-2008, 17:11
Whats your name schakal?

schakal
06-12-2008, 17:19
Whats your name schakal?

stop flirting with me :P

Daz.
06-12-2008, 21:49
halford rally bulbs, had then fitted for good few years now, dipped beams are slight improvement, and main beams are a huge improvement, never been flashed with them, and best part is they are about a tenner per side

I've got these and don't think they're much cop? there was a slight improvement I guess but i'd like to know if these piaa ones are significantly better for the money.

Lunner
06-12-2008, 21:56
Just have quicker reactions, makes it more fun if you can only see 6ft infront of you doing 90 round twisty A roads

white16valver
11-12-2008, 20:27
PIAA every time for me!
http://www.piaa.co.uk/bulbs/bulbs.asp

(They have a colour guide at the bottom of that page too.)

I have been extremely happy with my Extreme White Plus! I can't believe HID could be any brighter, plus the EWP are E-marked and legal :)

One has recently gone after about 3 years :( so as said earlier in the thread, I'm currently looking for new ones.

The best place I've found for them is Specialist Leisure.

They have a website:
http://www.specialist-leisure.co.uk/index.php

but also sell off ebay, although they haven't got much on there at the moment:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/specialist-leisure_W0QQ_dmdZ1QQ_sopZ12?_nkw=PIAA+-24v&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=PIAA+H4+-24v&_osacat=0

Drop them an email with your requirements and they should come back pretty quickly!

I'm looking at the Extreme White (not Plus) at the moment as they are a fair wedge cheaper, although not E-marked.

When I finally sort my life and finances out, I will let you know my opinions :)

Purple
12-12-2008, 00:02

I have using them since last year. Significantly brighter than Philips' previous "extra bright". Runs legal wattage and beam colour. Paid about 28 GBP for the pair.

Purple
12-12-2008, 00:06
I meant the first link ones, X-treme Power model.