PDA

View Full Version : Brake Reassembly Query

stevie_b
03-12-2008, 14:21
I'm sticking the brake system back on the car now after its refurb and replumbing and have a couple of queries.

1. I ran the handbrake cables through the centre of the rear beam and they come out through the hollow near the brake calipers. Now I have put new brake pipes mounted onto the rear axle I notice that the clips have an extra 'space' on them that looks about the diameter of the handbrake cable. Should the cables run through inside the hollow of the beam or are they mounted on top of the beam and held in place by these clips?

2. Putting the servo back on I notice that there are two sets of nuts on the two studs that come out of the servo bowl and into the master cylinder. I can't remember why it would need two pairs of nuts - presumably the inner ones hold the master cylinder to the servo and the outer ones hold something else to the master cylinder?

Any reminders as to what went where gratefully accepted!

geesus
03-12-2008, 14:44
did you remove the abs?

i'm pretty sure the abs cable goes into the 'spare' clip space, my handbrake cable goes through the hollow in the beam like you said :)

stevie_b
03-12-2008, 14:50
did you remove the abs?

i'm pretty sure the abs cable goes into the 'spare' clip space, my handbrake cable goes through the hollow in the beam like you said :)

That's reassuring to know, cheers. I was pretty sure the cable went through the hollow of the beam but just seeing those clips going 'spare' made me question it - I never had ABS on my car so it could well be that those clips are indeed 'spare' and aren't used for anything on my car. Thanks.

richy
03-12-2008, 20:37
yeah handbrake cable through the beam itself and the spare fittings are for abs cables as said.

stevie_b
03-12-2008, 20:45
How about part 2? Is there some sort of bracket for something that is mounted onto the servo, I vaguely recall?!?!

richy
03-12-2008, 20:50
missed that!!, i only remember having 1 nut on each of mine tbh

stevie_b
08-12-2008, 09:41
In case it is of use to anyone searching this thread in the future, the second nuts on the master cylinder/servo hold on a bracket which has a clip for the wires/brake pipes on it. I've not bothered refitting mine though as my pipes are now routed differently.

stevie_b
21-12-2008, 23:45
Another update - the handbrake doesn't work after you wind the pistons back and there is no fluid in the system. Once I refitted the master cylinder, bled the brakes and pumped the brake pedal the rear pads are moved into close contact with the disc and then the handbrake seems to start doing its job. I guess the distance to move the pads prior to that was just too far for the handbrake travel to manage.