PDA

View Full Version : Need rational input on the following potential purchases ^_^

Wobba
01-12-2008, 22:56
Guys, I need some sense talking into me!
I need to renew my springs and struts. Currently have JR Coilovers on the front, but I think they are shot. Its handling extremely badly on anything but perfectly smooth roads, every other component is new but these were 2nd hand and if the shot rears (which I’ve taken off) are anything to go by the fronts are shagged too. Need to sort it asap as it’s just not much fun to drive, far too harsh and bump steer is a nightmare.

So...assuming we are working within a budget of about £650, the following are my options, but I think I need a good talking too with regards the first option, as it is a major expense for a single item:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/resources/images/zoom/KWA_VARIANT2.jpg
KW Variant 2 all round adjustable suspension from Demon Tweeks at £626.36 (VAT inc at 15%)
Or...
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/resources/images/zoom/AVOEVOSK.jpg
AVO adjustable from Demon Tweeks again, at £483 (inc VAT at 15%)
AND uprated pads and new brake discs for about £150
Or...
Standard shocks front and rear, 172 springs for £200 ish
Alloy wheel refurb £250
Uprated discs and pads & fluid change £200 ish
OR
Fukc the car, buy a PS3 and play GT Prologue instead with uber steering wheel controller with a new 28” LCD monitor.
Someone talk some sense into me before I go buying more stuff that’s just gonna cause me more hassle, leading to loads of posts in the Mechanicals section on how gay Clio’s are to work on (again) :)

Bare in mind that I have always seen KW2's at way over £700 in the past and the price looks a bargain to me...

richy
01-12-2008, 23:11
first thing i will ask is what do you intend to use the car for???

if just road and odd trackday stick with std just get all new front renault, no halfords specials etc lol

otherwise id go with the kw coilovers and save up to get some new pads/discs IF theres nothing seriously wrong with your current brakes lol

i personally have the avo coilovers on my hybrid and they have done 10 trackdays and 1 trip around the nurburgring, cant fault them myself other then 1 front unit started leaking so gotta send it back to avo for rebuild, (after 18month btw) but like most things in this world the more you pay the better you get!

16v_paddy
01-12-2008, 23:12
Std shocks + whatever springs u like (30mm eibach ftw :wink: )
Wheel refurb and brakes, job done no messing get on with it :twisted: :lol:

Coops
01-12-2008, 23:17
send the current fronts off for a 100 quid or so refurb

spend rest on ps3 and telly :wink:

ThRaXaIR
01-12-2008, 23:30
ok then so if i got a totally standard suspension setup but then got -30mm lowering springs that would be a good thing?

scott j
01-12-2008, 23:34
may i ask, are standard o.e renault shocks a erlay gud road handling shock setup? i was thinking about teh avo setup myself, but unsure if ill benefit from it,

i fink my standard shocks are shot enuff as it is tbh, so defo need to replace

also, ps3 with prologe for the win ;)

richy
01-12-2008, 23:37
the std renault set up is very good, so if you only gonna be tackling B-roads etc then no need to change tbh

unless you want to lower it etc

scott j
01-12-2008, 23:43
the std renault set up is very good, so if you only gonna be tackling B-roads etc then no need to change tbh

unless you want to lower it etc

yer i do, i prefer it sitting about 30mm lower, is there a gud setup of springs with standard o.e dampers that give anice feel, and gud grip?

16v_paddy
02-12-2008, 00:26
I can only comment on the valver :oops: but mine was stupidly low with (allegedly) uprated Apex shocks :roll: when I bought it

I got new std shocks & raised it with some 30mm eibach springs, and cup shocks on the back :twisted: it was a massive improvement rides over bumps nicely, no crashes etc, much better turn-in and felt much more planted. Although saying that I did replace the wishbones & ball joints at the same time :roll:

Daz.
02-12-2008, 08:55
renew everything you can with new renault items - at the very least you have a standard base to experiment with in the future, if like you say yours a are ****ed now how do you know £800 of suspension is better suited to YOU that a few hundred quids worth of renaults finest?

To me its like renaultsport trying to improve a, I don't know, a 406 coupe's (random car alert!) suspension without ever driving it first to see how it is in its normal state...

Wobba
02-12-2008, 11:26
I've already renewed everything.

I hoped the JR coilies would do the trick but they havn't.

Don't think I can get them refurbed can I? They are a harsh ride as is, I reckon they are far better for track s they feel fine on smooth twisty roads.

I like the OE setup, but pushing it round bends can sometimes feel a bit fraught due to roll (though I am sure its fine it just does not inspire me as much), and I like the lower look and am keen to see how the adjustable damping and ride height can give me new options.

Next year will see a foray into the track day world, but I use the car as a daily driver too.

The KW's are very good I have heard, but as with most of us the price is restrictive. With VAT down, larger purchases appear better value for money!

Need a new monitor as well :(

Coops
02-12-2008, 14:18
should be able to get them refurbed mate yeah, no reason why not. just get in contact with JR and see

LEIGH-ANNE
02-12-2008, 18:55

Im with coops on this one!! :wink:

16v_paddy
02-12-2008, 19:27
I need a TV as well, but sod that I'm buying rods & pistons :twisted:

speed
02-12-2008, 19:54
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3815895

Smudger
02-12-2008, 22:15
Std shocks + whatever springs u like (30mm eibach is very good in my books :wink: )

where is the best place to get the Eibach springs?

jay s
02-12-2008, 22:27
**** the car get a ps3 with gtp and a g25 steering wheel, awesome bit of kit :D grab a copy of cod: waw aswell :twisted: http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31800&highlight=

number1
02-12-2008, 22:30
Put clio 172 Cup Springs on the hybrid, far stiffer than the ones that came off, going to get new dampers all round at some point, maybe Bilstien ones, silly money but i bet there worth it!

16v_paddy
03-12-2008, 00:17
Std shocks + whatever springs u like (30mm eibach is very good in my books :wink: )

where is the best place to get the Eibach springs?

I got mine from Roadrunner in Nottingham £100 iirc, that was about 18 months ago though :?

Can't remember if mine are pro-line or sport-line. They're the black ones mine are, the red ones are the chavtastic silly low kind :roll:

Coops
03-12-2008, 00:40

8) :wink:

Wobba
03-12-2008, 15:00

8) :wink:

You two and yer secret jokes...

The PS3 option is a tempting one for sure!

I've been offered another option in the form of some quite serious suspension at a reasonable price, I'm being a bit vague I know :)

Had another offer of some new AVO's too!

Nothing is an easy choice is it?

I also want to move home but need to wait until I go for a new job which may require I move anyway...no point moving now if I have to move so soon after is there!?

Need to do brakes too before track day season next year, preferably sooner, would like Santa to bring me some bucket seats too, and refurb my alloys if his Elves can do that sort of thing (grandad said never trust an elf to do anything)...

I could just heighten the car and stick the old OE back on for now.

I've tried to contact JR suspension but they seem to ignore me, and their email link is invalid as is the contact form.

J o n
03-12-2008, 15:16
Wobba - get a console, have some fun and spend a bit of money having the JR's rebuilt and revalved imo

Wobba
03-12-2008, 15:17
lol lots of support for the PS3!!

Been a few years since I caned Gran Turismo. Version 1 was awesome :D

J o n
03-12-2008, 16:56
not necessarily a PS3, just any next gen console. Personally I'd get the 360 as Pro Evo is the only game I play religiously and it runs like a sack of shit on the PS3 lol. Oh Forza too, best racing game I've played.

Daz.
03-12-2008, 17:04
ps3 hasn't come of age at all yet, I'm sticking with my 360 - Lego Batman rocks! :oops: :lol:

LEIGH-ANNE
03-12-2008, 18:03
:wink:

Wobba
03-12-2008, 18:27
:wink:

:-s

ThRaXaIR
03-12-2008, 19:55
going off topic but.......360 FTW!!

white16valver
11-12-2008, 19:18