PDA

View Full Version : Idle up and down ???

dannyboy3767
24-11-2008, 23:02
hey people need your help again, when i start the clio williams 3 it just dies, but when it heats up a bit it will run but the idle is going up and down a little bit. What is causing it, is it the throttle position sensor or the air flow meter. Is the throttle position sensor the little red thing on the intake manifold and how do u adjust it. thanks again

drsmith1979
24-11-2008, 23:25
the throttle sensor is the red thing on the throttle body but i wouldn't suggest altering it as its very sensitive and is unlikely to have simply 'moved' so to speak, have you tried your coolant temp sensor? its the plug near the distributer, id also look into the ISCV and give it a clean, its the black valve thing on the front inlet manifold.... possibly O2 sensor too, but it should still start with a bad one?!....

bbaazz-08
25-11-2008, 01:43
i had this before and it turned out to be the idle control valve......this is probably what you think is the air flow meter.....its to the front of the inlet manifold......they can be taken apart too

dannyboy3767
25-11-2008, 09:07
yeah ive tested the coolant temp sensor it seems to be ok. Yes i thought that was an air flow meter, ill try changing the idle control valve then and see what happens. Thanks boys

drsmith1979
25-11-2008, 19:21
Just to clarify here is a quick pic of it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/isvc.jpg

dannyboy3767
03-12-2008, 23:52
right lads ive fitted the new idle control valve and i have a major problem. When i start the car its going straight to 4500 rpm and staying there, i cant figure out what is wrong. the throttle is back full. I noticed the throttle position sensor only has one screw holding it on so im wondering if it has moved, what effect would it have or how can i adjust it.

Wobba
04-12-2008, 01:23
Check the pipes are on correctly on the ISCV. Sounds like possile air leak.

Clamp the air hose leading to ISCV, revs should die, or even stall engine, thats normal. If not, air leak somewhere eg split hose or hose not on properly.

Did you renew the ISCV or clean it? Is it defo working and not jammed open?

Check the MAP sensor vacuum hoses (small rubber pipes leading into drivers side of intake manifold, and small rectangular box on bulkhead in front on driving position).

If none of those, check that the throttle itself is not stuck open. Take off the air filter box and look at the throttle paddles inside, make sure they are not jammed open or throttle cable is incorrectly tensioned.

Whilst air box is off, start car and block the pipe that leads from the air box to the ISCV completely, mind yourself, the suction is strong. Engine should start to stall on idle. If not, air leak. Trace pipework or other areas for leaks.

Or could be faulty ECU (wet).

If none of the above try unplugging the white plug in the inlet manifold on the drivers side, start car, any change? With it off it should give ECU default reading.

Do the same with the white CTS plug in thermostat housing afterwards.

Wobba
04-12-2008, 01:24
Dont tamper with the throttle adjustment screw unless its a last resort.

queegan
04-12-2008, 19:47
Spray some brake and clutch cleaner over the pipes mentioned and if there is a leak then u will notice a change in the enigne tone very handy for finding splits or holes

dannyboy3767
05-12-2008, 10:04
think ive found the problem lads, it seems like there is no signal going to the idle control valve, why would this be. i fitted a brand new idle control valve but i think its just staying open too much. ive tested the new ICV and works fine when hooked up to 12v battery. if i block the pipe going to the intake manifold the car will stall and if i block 2/3rs of the hole the car will run fine so it has to be no signal going to it. would the coolant temp sensor have anything to do with it ??. i had the temp sensor out and looks like new. Any ideas.

Wobba
05-12-2008, 14:42
Get a multimeter and do a check on the ISCV power pins.

When you say close the hole 2/3rds and it runs fine, by 'fine' do you mean at a sensible idle?

Check the wirig there, it can get bashed about a bit and wires may be broken/damaged.

bbaazz-08
05-12-2008, 20:40
by any chance deos the up and down only occur after you have driven up the road and then let it idle.........think you might be looking at a burnt out circuit board in the ecu if the signals arent right........if you take the cover off the ecu you will either be able to see black burn marks, deterioration in general or a bad burny smell check this out i think it could be the problem

dannyboy3767
08-12-2008, 22:50
oh lads things just got worse, where is the ecu located. I took out a box behind the fuse board which turned out to be the alarm box. i disconnected it and hooked it back up when i realsed it was the alarm box and now the car wont start at all. the alarm is just clicking and the indicators are flashing, the alarm isnt arming or disarming, the red light is just flashing on the dash. any ideas

bbaazz-08
08-12-2008, 23:20
your alarm is more than likely wired into your fuel relay you should have a little key maybe with the fob for recodeing it..........the idle problem is definitly the ecu ...ive got 2 and the second one i have deos what your car is doing if its plugged in and when i plug the other one in its fine

dannyboy3767
09-12-2008, 20:42
fixed the alarm problem, there was a wire out of the top of it. the car is starting again thank god. I checked my ECU baz and your dead right there is a fried bit in it. where would i get a new ecu. is there an aftermarked one i can buy.

bbaazz-08
09-12-2008, 20:54
i got one off ebay and just hoped it would be in good condition and it was like new.......theres people on here breaking cars in the breaking section so they should have one.....or put a new thread in the wanted section......that should solve it

drsmith1979
09-12-2008, 23:08
try and pm winston and the like on here, they tend to have ecus hanging around and they go for a good reasonable price...

glad you found the issue........ also good you found the alarm stuff under the dash, as you'll be removing it soon when it all goes tits up haha..good old cobra

dannyboy3767
09-12-2008, 23:14
thanks for help lads i was really stuck, this site is brilliant. The alarm is clifford whats that one like. will it give trouble

bbaazz-08
10-12-2008, 01:51
1 of the best....ive got a clifford and no trouble atal

drsmith1979
10-12-2008, 03:37
cliffords aren't bad, overpriced for what they are and there are definitely better ones out there... however they are no where near as bad as the original Cobra alarm fitted! haha... so you'll be fine ;)

Wobba
10-12-2008, 14:06
I had ECU problems too, exactly the same. It caused high idle.

ECU codes: (Part at the end of the serial number thingy)

107=Williams
105=Ph1 Valver (no immobiliser)
103=Ph2 Valver (with built in immobiliser)