PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary fuel pump failure

Wobba
21-11-2008, 13:21
I have a considerable fuel leak when the tank is full. I fill up to top and come back to car with petrol spilling out on the forecourt. Not much fun, and neither is the 19 MPG I am getting to a tank.

Now, I have never heard the aux pump priming and pumping fuel, and the leak comes from somewhere near the filler pipe, flowing down the side of the aux tank.

Anyone had any experience of this kind of problem? Is an aux pump a simple refit job? Can I do away with the whole lot and put a 1.2 filler pipe to main tank, and save weight in the process ? :)

Anyone have a spare aux pump?

arj256
21-11-2008, 15:09
Have you checked the wiring for the Aux fuel pump?
Oh wait there is none :wink:

Wobba
21-11-2008, 16:32
I have read Haynes mate, it says there is a pump! I know you didn't find one on yours but I am sure it hides under the bumper near the fuel filler hose!

arj256
21-11-2008, 16:47
I have read Haynes mate, it says there is a pump! I know you didn't find one on yours but I am sure it hides under the bumper near the fuel filler hose!

Haynes book of lies :wink:
If you have a look at the Williams tech manual there isn't one mentioned there.
Iirc there is a pump on the early 16v's as i remember having to tye wrap one against the neck which goes into the main tank.

Either way why complicate a simple fix. Said your welcome to my old aux fuel setup ;)

Wobba
21-11-2008, 18:27
Yea thanks mate, I was just reading up on it and was trying to predict any problems I could bump into whilst dismantling a petrol tank in the street. haynes says pump. Both my early valvers had one.

Matty86
21-11-2008, 18:29
fairly sure both my ph1 valvers have an aux pump...

wavy
21-11-2008, 19:37
im sure my williams has 1 or i seen it when i was stripping bits off another williams ?
memory has gone lol
:lol: