PDA

View Full Version : Torque...

1995clio16v
19-11-2008, 23:58
Is there one main reason as to why 16v's have like zero ****ing torque at around 2k...or is it a combination? Obviously talking about when your in cruise...

The list of cars that do me now is just embarassing, we're talking about family fooking bus diesels for ****s sake, with all the kids and shopping in the back! It goes alright in a sprint, but if your under pressure in cruise on lows revs im i trouble!

And why did the bastards at renault make em like this!?

:twisted:

Coops
20-11-2008, 00:01
short throw crank mate, the rest is history, just dont get caught out of gear, ur better than that :wink:

1995clio16v
20-11-2008, 00:06
short throw crank mate, the rest is history, just dont get caught out of gear, ur better than that :wink:

Thats the reason is it...maybe in the early 90's it wasnt as much as an issue it is today!

Oh, its a happy chappy alright in and around 4k..

:twisted:

Justin..
20-11-2008, 00:42
always always always always always knock it down a cog, 2 if you got them, else you'll get into trouble in a valver lol

eternalife
20-11-2008, 02:36
Valver = the poverty spec Williams...And the rest truly is history :twisted:

talkingfish
20-11-2008, 12:48
most modern diesels have got twice the torque of a valver and even a Willy..... you just have to drop down and rev.....

simonr85
20-11-2008, 14:06
a bit off topic, how is your website doing????

1995clio16v
20-11-2008, 15:31
Valver = the poverty spec Williams...And the rest truly is history :twisted:

Pft!!!

The williams nicked most the bits off the 16v!

:roll: :wink: :lol:

1995clio16v
20-11-2008, 15:33

Yeah, going good mate, pretty pleased with it, thanks for asking!

If you guys ever need a memory card just give us a tinkle and Ill do one at cost

Sorry to plug on here! Ill leave it at that!

:roll:

8) :lol:

www.memorycow.co.uk

simonr85
20-11-2008, 15:50
is it making a profit??? do you hold the stock yourself???

J o n
20-11-2008, 16:25
shorter crank stroke and high revving nature of the engine is the reason for the pish torque figures... that and things have rightly moved on after 15 years. Valver's still hold their own in the hot hatch world, but as said, you literally have to drive the tits off them to go anywhere. For a car so slow on cruise and lacking power it's quite remarkable how well they go once they are above 5k

2 live
20-11-2008, 17:30

Yeah, going good mate, pretty pleased with it, thanks for asking!

If you guys ever need a memory card just give us a tinkle and Ill do one at cost

Sorry to plug on here! Ill leave it at that!

:roll:

8) :lol:

www.memorycow.co.uk

u got the ds cards mate??

1995clio16v
20-11-2008, 19:58
shorter crank stroke and high revving nature of the engine is the reason for the pish torque figures... that and things have rightly moved on after 15 years. Valver's still hold their own in the hot hatch world, but as said, you literally have to drive the tits off them to go anywhere. For a car so slow on cruise and lacking power it's quite remarkable how well they go once they are above 5k

I must have a drive of a williams, are they a totally different animal? Think you have owned both..?

A 16v would surely hold its own in a sprint, standard on standard against a willy...

Justin..
20-11-2008, 20:04
:shock:

willy's torque comes in very low down in the revs, i think that a williams would pull away a fair bit quicker than 16v

2 live
20-11-2008, 20:37
williams would pull quite well over a valver, std for std.

quickest i got my valver down the strip was 15.9, which at the time was 1 of the quickest about

williams in same trim, 14.8

number1
20-11-2008, 21:49
on a 2ltr the Torques there from 2k onwards i can drive mine to work and back not going over 2k and stay with traffic, 5th gear roll ons are great for catching people out too!
I did a roll on with my ex missus in her valver, 5th gear 70mph i just left her sitting in the inside lane, she then started in 4th, i still left her there, not quite as much but i was surprised

I dont think i could go back to a valver unless it was a run around

Coops
20-11-2008, 22:28
i was pleasantly suprised with the R spec F series lump tbh, i never saw what the fuss was about first time i tried one, but now i have learnt how to drive the lump day to day its a much nicer unit than the valver one. but for some reason the valver is soooooo much more fun unit to thrash the nuts off

simonr85
21-11-2008, 10:10

I must have a drive of a williams, are they a totally different animal? Think you have owned both..?

A 16v would surely hold its own in a sprint, standard on standard against a willy...

you can have a go of mine, only down the road in Kirkham mate

J o n
21-11-2008, 11:25

Yeah owned both and they are totally different aye. They may look the same and have similar/nigh on identical interior, but the Williams engine characteristics and suspension/chassis setup mean that when you drive one or the other it's just a totally different experience. The Williams is much easier to drive, especially if your lazy as you really dont need to work the box as much to get it to go anywhere. 90% torque available at 2000-2500rpm iirc... and you can feel it!

In a sprint against my old valver (had it same time as the Willy) and my mates freakishly fast one, my Williams would easily leave both at any speed in any gear. 4th gear onwards is where the difference really shows though.

white16valver
24-11-2008, 10:23
Aye, willy pulls like a train above a ton whereas the valver struggles!