PDA

View Full Version : Arghh!! Advice Needed..

measor
15-11-2008, 21:41
Ill cut a long story short -

Had a full engine rebuild 2 months ago, broke down on the way home, started off a loud hard rattling tapping noise from the engine, eventually conked out. Being towed home keys in the ignition but only on accessories at 50mph the noise started again, like it had just been jump started even though it wasn't in gear, it kept doing this and it was making some horrible noises until I dipped the clutch...

Took it back to the garage hoping that the engine would be covered under the 12 month warranty its got but hes told me that the gearbox is ****ed and the vibrations from that has caused a crack in the block, hes told me I need a new engine and a new gearbox!! Obviously im not happy as Iv just spent 3k on the engine and the gearbox is only 2 years old bought reconditioned from Renault....

Basically I need some advice on what to do as I think hes trying to wriggle out of it by pinning in it on the box...

Jamie.
15-11-2008, 21:45
Well, if it were me I would get an independent examiners report.

Then I would serve a liability notice on him if it could be proved it was his work that failed.

If that were the case I would ask for a full refund and go somewhere else.

If he has liability insurance he can get it refunded anyway....

Sounds a load of bollocks to me as well - not long after a rebuild it go's bang, hmmmm.

BRUN
16-11-2008, 16:52
would someone like the RAC not be able to do a vehicle inspection ?

i know they do them on cars that are for sale, not sure about with regards to faults

katbloke
16-11-2008, 16:54
id find it hard to believe that a knackered gearbox would cause the engine to break, youd just have a box full of neutrals

Coops
16-11-2008, 16:56
as said, u need at least a second opinion, and preferable more than that, then make a decision based on that

try to get a refund if you can, then source second had components and find a new mechanic to fit them, provided its above your own abilities?

lewis_willy2
16-11-2008, 17:41
is it a modded engine?

measor
16-11-2008, 19:24
No its not a modded engine, just a full rebuild on a 1.8... A refund would be the best case scenario but Im not sure how likely that is!!

Cheers for the advice, going to get a second opinion on tuesday and see what he says. Fingers crossed!

Jamie.
16-11-2008, 19:55
If I were you I would go to your local citizens advice as its free and usually can get an element of professional help which will be applicable.

measor
17-11-2008, 18:09
The latest -

Spoken to the garage concerned and he said he has investigated it further and the gearbox was seized in 5th onto the crank and was stuck in two gears and has put such a load on the engine that it has caused the crack.. After speaking to Renault they want me to get the car to them for assessment and customer services maybe able to help depending on the outcome. Bit of a nightmare as hes already got the engine out and the gearbox apart!!

white16valver
17-11-2008, 18:56
"siezed in fifth onto the crank and stuck in 2 gears"

Perhaps I'm just being thick but that sounds utter bollocks to me...

I'm sure you'll be able to get an independant inspector person come out if you can find one! Would remove problems of getting it to renault, unless they were willing to travel to him.

measor
17-11-2008, 19:04
Well the bloke Iv spoken to sounds genuine and is trying to help me out, hes sending the gearbox to Renault for them to inspect it and if they can supply the parts of the engine and the gearbox then he will put it all together free of charge. Im a bit of a rookie when it comes to the ins and outs of an engine but he reckons its why my last engine went bang. Hes adamant its a fault of the box so I guess Iv just got to let him and Renault sort it out..

measor
20-11-2008, 19:30
THE LATEST!!

Renault dont want anything to do with it as the gearbox is out of warranty. The cars in bits at the garage and luckily a williams is being broken around the corner so as long as I can pay for the parts hes going to fix the box and the engine free of charge, Iv just got to supply the new block and a few bits and pieces. Think Iv had my pants pulled down and raped!! But I seem to have no other option!! Last chance saloon for this car I think.

kneesparks
20-11-2008, 19:46
Mate i hate it when somthing like this happens to ppl, feel for you.
Iv had my pamts pulled down the once from a bloke that iv known for years on my 2.0 DTI Astra. Robbing fooks, dont trust any garage now :shock:

number1
20-11-2008, 21:54
Sounds to me like someone might have neglected to do up some bolts in the transmission, i.e. Clutch, Flywheel etc,
Ive seen a 182 engine blow up because he missed a gear or something chasing me and blew his clutch to smithereens! ripped the box away from the engine and thus causing the gearbox bellhousing bolts to pull a fair chunk of engine casing away with it, a right mess!

measor
21-11-2008, 12:02
Yeah I was starting to think that might be the case it had the clutch changed about a week before it went bang and finding 1st gear after that was quite difficult, problem is there is no way of proving that now so just got to bite the bullet!!
On this subject, as I'm getting some parts of a williams would it be worth swapping my manifold for one off the williams or will it not make much difference?

Wobba
21-11-2008, 13:52
You mean exhaust manifold? For a valver I wouldnt bother, the valver mani helps develop more low down torque for the 1.8 engine. Willy one would give less low down pick up.

Daz.
22-11-2008, 17:27
if your swapping the lump for the willy lump I'd swap the mani over too..

bendee
22-11-2008, 18:11
ive ran both manifolds on my hybrid defo get the willy manifold. i dodnt notice any loss in torque but noticed it pulled better in the revs.

measor
22-11-2008, 19:11
Yeah the exhaust manifold, keeping the 1.8 engine just using some parts off the williams, the block. So you reckon put the willy manifold on as well then?

16v_paddy
22-11-2008, 20:10
Thought the williams & valver blocks are different :?

unless I've read this thread wrong :oops: