PDA

View Full Version : fitting throttle cable

rickyquicky
15-11-2008, 13:48
hi people,

bought a pattern accelerator cable yesterday, didnt fooking fit, so ive just gone to renault today and bought another one.

tried fitting it and no luck! i cant get the plastic clip through the hole in the bulkhead, anyone fitted one before?

got the complete kit with cable and all the rubber/plastic bits that go all over it. am i supposed to take it to pieces or what?!!

cheers :oops:

rickyquicky
15-11-2008, 14:06
ive removed the old cable and the cover it was in, and have removed the heat shield, is there anything else i should be taking off?

1995clio16v
15-11-2008, 16:40
All done on feel this mate. No need to remove anything else really.

Just around the brake lines on the bulk head iirc, there may be some rubber seal, around/behind this there'll be some foam maybe, its in all that where the hole is.

Id recommend poking some string/flexy wire through from the footwell as a guide.

You can feel for the hole from the engine bay.

I think I removed all the foam and this made it easier to get at and shed light through

That rubber bung is a bitch to get in but it will go...its a while since i did this, i may have used some long nose pliers to pull it through..

Good luck! :wink:

doug2.0
15-11-2008, 17:14
absolute nightmare this job, getting the cable through is easy its the rubber bulkhead grommit that is near on impossible to fit. In the end i sacked it off, i ended up just wrapping the plastic in a few layers of insulation tape so it was a tight fit, and securing it on the footwell side with a small cabletie, bit of a bodge but seemed to be adequate.
Id spent 3 evenings on the grommit, and my knuckles were cut to bits, ive got small hands too!

queegan
15-11-2008, 17:35
this job is easy take the wheel arch cover off and poke it through there use a piece of metel first to find the hole. as for the rubber gromit u put it on from the inside of the car when the cable is through :roll:

doug2.0
15-11-2008, 17:39
nah because the thicker side of the grommit goes to the engine bay side and it just doesnt fit through the hole, no matter how much poking and easing through, it was even lubed up lol

1995clio16v
15-11-2008, 19:13
put it on from the inside of the car when the cable is through :roll:

Na, it doesnt mate, it goes from the bulkhead side/engine bay. :roll:

:wink:

rickyquicky
15-11-2008, 21:18
cheers for the replies....(except queegan haha)

i have got pretty good access to everything and could feel the hole with the tip of my finger, the reason im asking is i could feel the hole and there is no way that i can see that plastic clip that goes into the pedal getting through the hole in the bulkhead.

what a shitty job... :x

1995clio16v
15-11-2008, 21:22
it will go through mate

Just put some string through from the footwell side, or something similar, and tie in to the inner bit of the cable, from the engine bay if ur struggling, you'll be well on ur way then..

I couldnt be arsed taking the wheel and arch liner off, although I know some ppl prefer it that way.

If you think thats difficult, wait till you have to put a new clutch cable and pedal assembly together, then youll think its a shitty job! lol!

:twisted:

queegan
16-11-2008, 14:25
nah because the thicker side of the grommit goes to the engine bay side and it just doesnt fit through the hole, no matter how much poking and easing through, it was even lubed up lol

how u work that out when u put the cable through u can push the grommit over the cable and put it into the hole in the footwell does go in mate done it loads a times u r wrong mate it doesnt matter wot way round the gromit goes as long as it protects the cable from scrappin on the bulkhead

rickyquicky
16-11-2008, 14:30
yay.....got it through!!!

if you wanna get the cable through with the plastic clip - the only way i can see it being possible is to tie some cable to it and then literally forcing it through, that clip that goes into the pedal is a tight fit through the hole.

as for the rubber bung/grommet whatever its called, i cut a bit out of it and then fitted that, then when the cable bit goes into that it sort of expands it again if you know what i mean?

well thanks for all the help 8) 8) 8)

AndyFielder
17-11-2008, 11:08
you know the clip comes off!

rickyquicky
17-11-2008, 12:01
how though?

at both ends there are metal stop things, one end to hold the clip, the other end has the metal stop bit that goes into the throttle - i cant see any way you can get it off!

as for the rubber grommet thing, even after cutting it i could get it in the hole but cant get the throttle cable to slide into it. do i really need to use the rubber? its a fairly snug fit anyway without it :?

AndyFielder
17-11-2008, 12:04
it comes off to one side.

leaving you with just a small metal stopper, crimped onto the cable to poke through.

rickyquicky
17-11-2008, 12:57
the clip from the proper renault cable kit wont come off unless you break it off - both metal stops either end are too big.

the pattern kit that i got originally does allow the plastic clip on and off - but there is no metal stop for the throttle - so thats good for the bin

rickyquicky
17-11-2008, 17:37
so how important is that rubber that goes into the bulkhead?

i havent fitted mine!

EvilJohn
27-11-2008, 21:09
Quite, you'll wear the cable out quicker without the grommit, metal on metal ftl

rickyquicky
28-11-2008, 16:09
found it nearly impossible though mate, i coated it n wd40, even cut bits out of it, eventually managed to fit the rubber but gave up then trying to fit the throttle cable kit into it :x

queegan
28-11-2008, 17:55
u fail

Will16valver
29-11-2008, 12:06
i cant remember havin any trouble fittin them on my car and i went through 4 or 5, then realised that i needed a manifold heatshield :) lol

rickyquicky
03-12-2008, 15:06
queegan - you sound like a retard

ive left it as it is now it seems fine, my hands are too big to do anything useful with it, might take it to a garage sometime get them to wack the rubber on cant be bothered pissing about with little jobs like this that should be straightforward

queegan
03-12-2008, 15:10
retard i would look at wot you are typin take a very long look in the mirror who is the one who can even fit a throttle cable right u are the retard :!: if i were u i would sell the car and buy a moped at least u mite b able to fix something on that u loser :wink:

Wobba
03-12-2008, 15:24
Jack driver front up, get mudguard shield off, make sure you rout the cable correctly from throttle body etc behind heashield and other pipes.

Guide the white clip into the hole in bulkhead, pull it through with some string or something, dont damage it.

Rubber grommet can be done by pushing it through the rubber housing shield thingy. Once through, get some washing up liquid on the grommet, get a decent prodder, like a pencil or screwdriver, pullthe flexible cover thingy/heatshield thingy back to get access and push the grommet in as much as you can and push the remaining bit through with your chosen 'prodder'. Try not to damage it.

Took me a while but once jacked up and with a good 'prodder' I did it np.

1995clio16v
03-12-2008, 20:00
'prodder'

LMFAO!

Prodder!

:thumbsup:

number1
03-12-2008, 20:29
Cant beat feeding a bit of wire from the footwell into the engine bay, then tape the new cable to the aformentioned wire and get an assistant to pull the wire back through while you feed the cable in, when its up to the Bulkhead get a pair of long nose pliers and put the little extrusion thats on the White bit through first, at an angle, thought the cable grommet didnt come off the cable? this needs to clip into the bulkhead,

Dave

doug2.0
04-12-2008, 21:29
i gave up on the grommit too, the cable is easy to fit just like number1 said i had it in and out numerous times while ****in about with the grommit.

this is a pic of my bodgetastic fix, insulation tape round the plastic till its a tight fit in the hole, pull it through with some needle nose pliers then small cable tie it in the footwell to stop it pulling through, mines held up for over 6thousand miles

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/doug123_2006/DSC02116.jpg?t=1228422375

doug2.0
04-12-2008, 21:30
damn edit button! :evil:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/doug123_2006/DSC02116.jpg

Wobba
04-12-2008, 21:50
'prodder'

LMFAO!

Prodder!

:thumbsup:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Im technical me.

rickyquicky
06-12-2008, 21:23
here queegan, im not into online arguments.

obviously a pussy boy sitting behind your computer giving it to people.

if someones having trouble fitting a fiddly piece of rubber and has better things to do with their time then yeah i give it up.

whats your opinion matter? it dont, your a nobody.

queegan
07-12-2008, 15:13
who started the argument u so who is the pussy boy sitting behind a computer giving it to ppl better off saying nothing coz wot comes out your mouth is shit :lol:

rickyquicky
07-12-2008, 15:45
Jack driver front up, get mudguard shield off, make sure you rout the cable correctly from throttle body etc behind heashield and other pipes.

Guide the white clip into the hole in bulkhead, pull it through with some string or something, dont damage it.

Rubber grommet can be done by pushing it through the rubber housing shield thingy. Once through, get some washing up liquid on the grommet, get a decent prodder, like a pencil or screwdriver, pullthe flexible cover thingy/heatshield thingy back to get access and push the grommet in as much as you can and push the remaining bit through with your chosen 'prodder'. Try not to damage it.

Took me a while but once jacked up and with a good 'prodder' I did it np.

thanks for this, im going to leave it as is for the moment, then ill cut the grommet so that i can open it and 'wrap it' round the cable and fit it so that i dont have to remove the cable out of the hole and try to get that rubber on.

rickyquicky
07-12-2008, 15:49
who started the argument u so who is the pussy boy sitting behind a computer giving it to ppl better off saying nothing coz wot comes out your mouth is s**t :lol:

ok little boy. this is a forum for help, talk, and advice. replies like 'u fail' dont help anyone. it just makes you look like a child.

Wobba
08-12-2008, 13:42
This is indeed a forum which is partly there to provide help and advice for people with our type of cars.

No one here is a stranger to what a bitch of a car the Clio is to work on and ranting about it here is oft a good way to get it off yer chest before going back to a problem. I know alllllll about that, trust me.

Please be considerate folks, and remember that we have people here from all walks of life with extreme variations in experience with mechanics and Clio's. Calling people names or antagonising people that are struggling is not constructive.

And yes, the throttle cable is a pain.

rickyquicky
08-12-2008, 14:46
thats right mate.

got about 50 things to do to the fooking thing ready to get it back on the road by the new year - and as is typical with cars in general, the most straightforward jobs are normally the pain in the arses, rounded bolts, really bad access etc etc.

and its a bit cold for me to be pissing about with it if im honest, i have ZERO patience which aint good when working on a 13 year old car!

Wobba
08-12-2008, 14:57
thats right mate.

got about 50 things to do to the fooking thing ready to get it back on the road by the new year - and as is typical with cars in general, the most straightforward jobs are normally the pain in the arses, rounded bolts, really bad access etc etc.

and its a bit cold for me to be pissing about with it if im honest, i have ZERO patience which aint good when working on a 13 year old car!

I know the feeling, if things get too bad just walk away or you end up getting tired and hacked off!