PDA

View Full Version : oh.. bugger!!!

foshizzle
14-11-2008, 13:46
just tried to remove the steel road wheels from this clio i just bought to fit alloys, and theyre well and truly rusted in place.

Any tips for getting them off?

thanks
paul.

MAXIBOY
14-11-2008, 14:07
loosen the bolts but only so there loose by a few mm then drive around slowly until the wheels come loose..in a safe place like a car park..

andreas395
14-11-2008, 14:35
rubber head hammer from behind the wheel the bigger the better give it a few smacks then turn the wheel 1/4 of the way and keep on smacking it as turning should come of mate if your not bothered about the steels and you have not got a rubber hammer just use a normal hammer mini sledge etc

Wobba
14-11-2008, 14:51
If there is a tiny bit of wobble keep at it wobbling it back and forth. Eventually, it will come off! All the above methods are tried and tested though :)

white16valver
14-11-2008, 20:50
Possibly dangerous but has worked for me:

Sit on the floor facing the front/back of the car, by the wheel you want to get off. Get a leg underneath and one next to the outer face of the wheel to stop it from going anywhere, then kick it off with the leg that's underneath the car.

Just don't boot it so hard the car drops off the jack :o LOL

1995clio16v
15-11-2008, 19:17

Sit on the floor facing the front/back of the car, by the wheel you want to get off. Get a leg underneath and one next to the outer face of the wheel to stop it from going anywhere, then kick it off with the leg that's underneath the car.

Lol, this is what we used to do when I did tyres at BMW main dealer lol!!

:roll:

Most effective way and only way really I think.

Ps - Wire brush the hubs before you put the wheels back on to help it doing it again. Thatd be my advice.

:lol:

andreas395
15-11-2008, 19:32

Ps - Wire brush the hubs before you put the wheels back on to help it doing it again. Thatd be my advice.

dont forget some copper grease great stuff will stop them getting stuck again

foshizzle
15-11-2008, 21:03
Im going to have a go at all of these methods tomorrow. Hope i can get them off as ive got a gucci set of alloys to slap on :D

volymmannen
15-11-2008, 21:46

dont use copper grease with aluminium wheels..

Daz.
15-11-2008, 23:27
bah loosen all the bolts and mount a kerb sideways fast 8)

schakal
15-11-2008, 23:47
bah loosen all the bolts and mount a kerb sideways fast 8)

:twisted: :twisted:

foshizzle
16-11-2008, 19:11

Worked a treat for me, first kick. Thanks very much mate.

white16valver
17-11-2008, 19:09
Sweet :D

EvilJohn
27-11-2008, 21:11
Kicking works wonders! Done it countless times!

EvilJohn
27-11-2008, 21:12
Oh but remember to get someone to catch it if its an alloy!!

1995clio16v
27-11-2008, 22:22

dont use copper grease with aluminium wheels..

True.

We were always told at BMW NEVER EVER EVER to use copper grease on wheels, threads (wheels im talking about) or anything as it ''apparently'' stretches the bolts...we just used to put them on dry.

If you crank the bolts up with a torque wrench there should be no reason to use any lubes..anyone agree or is this all rubbish?

:o

Allan
28-11-2008, 10:15
the copper grease should go on the hub not in the bolt holes.
a thin layer will stop it seazing out.

had this problem with a 172 cup a few weeks ago