PDA

View Full Version : Random fan issues!

white16valver
07-11-2008, 13:31
I've had similar to this before but today was a new variation on a theme for the 'character-building' niggles... :roll: LoL :lol:

Basically, I've not really driven it for about a month. It's also pissed it down recently (hence the generous in car shower I'm getting at the moment :roll: ).

Today I decided to drive the couple of miles to work. Engine was barely warm when I parked up. All looked fine. Switched the ignition to off. The fan cut in... :roll:

Seems to want to come on when the ignition's off, and go off again when the ignition's on :? :x

Any ideas on what's causing it?

I gave up waiting for it to sort itself out and just disconnected the battery, ****ing thing LoL

I'm guessing it's just damp and will sort itself out when it's dried out, but it's a pain in the arse!!

MAXIBOY
07-11-2008, 13:36
its meant to come on once stopped for a certain time if the engine is warm enough..

schakal
07-11-2008, 13:50
its meant to come on once stopped for a certain time if the engine is warm enough..

not supposed to if engine is not warm enough though :wink: :lol:

the best thing to do is ,leave it to idle untill it heats up above the 3rd line
if the fan still does not cut in ,there is some ghey interference somewhere :roll: :shock:

LEIGH-ANNE
07-11-2008, 13:56
That sounds like dodgy wiring....justin helped me a bit with my plug.

My fan was never cutting in when it should have done as the temp was raising. Although it quite happily cut in after the ignition was off :evil: We rewired a new plug on it etc with the use of my tiny hands. :wink: And now works perfect.

Btw this just happened over night sort of thing.....the fan worked perfectly then one day was just too loose and played up until we sorted the wiring out...

A trip to the scrappy should fix it... :wink:

eternalife
07-11-2008, 14:24
Warm the car up first, take it for a spin, and see if the problem remains.

I do remember reading a similar problem to this previously - get on that search button :wink:

eternalife
07-11-2008, 14:26
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32307&highlight=fan+ignition

Last post may be of help...

white16valver
07-11-2008, 17:56
Cool, thanks for the link and advice all 8) :)

Will drive around so it's properly warm then leave it to idle till the fan cuts in and back off again. That better fix it or I will be having words with it!! :x LoL

cliokiz
07-11-2008, 17:56
That sounds like dodgy wiring....justin helped me a bit with my plug.

My fan was never cutting in when it should have done as the temp was raising. Although it quite happily cut in after the ignition was off :evil: We rewired a new plug on it etc with the use of my tiny hands. :wink: And now works perfect.

Btw this just happened over night sort of thing.....the fan worked perfectly then one day was just too loose and played up until we sorted the wiring out...

A trip to the scrappy should fix it... :wink:

Hit the nail on the head.

With ignition on, the fan relies on the temp sensor in the radiator to tell it when to switch on or not. If your wiring is broken on the connector which plugs into the sensor (common as the wires are rocked about when the engine moves), this will cause the fan not to come on when your car is up to temperature and running.

When you switch your ignition off, it doesn't rely on that sensor to decide whether to switch the fan on or not.

Unplug the sensor connector and turn your ignition on. Wear some protective gloves.

If, when you bridge the connections on the connector the fan does not come on, your connector wiring is fubar. If it does come on, but doesn't come on when it's connected up to the sensor, you need a new rad temp sensor.

white16valver
07-11-2008, 17:59
I *think* I understand that... ^^^ :oops: lol

Will let you all know how it goes!

MatBrown
07-11-2008, 19:12
Check the diode in the relay box hasn't melted.

Mat.

white16valver
07-11-2008, 20:32
Nothing's ever simple... :roll: lol

Bloody thing!! :lol:

LEIGH-ANNE
08-11-2008, 00:16
cheers kiz

Yup well hope u get it sorted mate

Wobba
08-11-2008, 10:44
YOU CAN DOOO EEETT!

Laine_16v
08-11-2008, 11:12
Check the anti perc plug isnt shorting on the stat housing.

white16valver
10-11-2008, 13:45
Well, it was as I thought - it was seemingly just a bit damp...

I let it idle till hot, the fan came in and out twice, I parked up and it was fine.

I'll put it down to 'character', as usual :roll: LOL :lol:

Thanks for all the advice though, ladies and gents! :D

LEIGH-ANNE
10-11-2008, 14:12
no probs mate....good old character excuse ah LOL...... :wink: