PDA

View Full Version : underseal/protection?

Brealbags
06-11-2008, 21:55
Right ive just finished building the valver lump and its ready to go back in this weekend or next.

The next stage of the project is to underseal and protect the underneath but i want some advise as im new to this sort of thing.
Before i put the engine in i was thinking steam clean it all off and remove any loose rust then some sort of clear wax stuff because i don’t want the engine bay or sills to be black. Dont suppose it matters about colour of underside. Has anyone got any products or methods to recommend?
I know clios are notorious for rotting sills as i lost my first one to that and i know mine are in a fair condition so i would like to keep it that way throughout winter and as long as poss.
ta

Wobba
07-11-2008, 01:13
Arj256 is doing his at the moment. Go see his project thread.

Brealbags
07-11-2008, 19:28
where can i find that?

speed
07-11-2008, 19:42
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14980

arj256
07-11-2008, 21:07
My preferred method is the Mk1 screwdriver/multi scraper
Scrape off the underseal. And find your cars rotten from the inside out :lol:.

Keep faith and continue scraping lol.
Then using a wire wheel in a drill or wire brush if your feeling keen.
Clean the rust away till your back to clean metal.

Then i put some Kurust onto the area. Vinegar is said to work as well.

Then i use Zinc 182 primer to give it some decent protection.

Then a few coats of Hammerite. If your doing the engine bay, you could use spray paint over the primer.

Can use underseal if you wish, but that just ends up being the case of out of sight out of mind..

Wobba
08-11-2008, 10:34
I am choosing the out of sight out of mind option.

Wobba
08-11-2008, 10:35
Only kidding!

Actually the underside of my car is quite good tbh. ONly two areas where I have jacked the car up that I would like to put right.