PDA

View Full Version : Replies needed asap!

LEIGH-ANNE
01-11-2008, 17:41
Ok, so just about to have my cambelt done next week, along with my stupid water pump that keeps ferking leaking!

Im gona get a compression test done to see how the headgasket is bearing up.. if its bad ill get him to do this too.

He says that to do the pump and belt will be 12 hours in total?? Is this right?

Remember (for those that read) he quoted me £150....

:?

franksvalver
01-11-2008, 18:21
If he quoted 150 then you wana double check before he does anything.

Not your problem how long he takes is it lol

LEIGH-ANNE
01-11-2008, 18:22
I have doubled checked....hes saying 12 hours, but aint gona turn around and say £150 for that now is he.....

It dont take ferkin 12 hours does it.....am i going mad?

thanks frank :D

bendee
01-11-2008, 18:32
i wouldnt of thought it would of took that long not that ive ever done it lol but if it is 12 hours for 150 quid thats mega cheap.

BRUN
01-11-2008, 18:38
even as a foreigner, nobody is gonna charge £12 an hour

talkingfish
01-11-2008, 18:50
should be about 4 hours if he's doing it without the engine out.....

katbloke
01-11-2008, 18:58
yep book time is 4 hours for cambelt change, naybe 1/2 hour more or so for waterpump too

Mr.AdamB
01-11-2008, 19:03
stan fitted my catcams, verniers timed them up, with a new cambelt in about 5 hours. so a cambelt on its own shouldnt take to long!! (for someone who knows wat there doing anyway)

Rich
01-11-2008, 19:33
i could do it on my drive without taking the engine out in less time! definitely too long 12 hours!!!

number1
01-11-2008, 19:38
waterpumps a b1tch to do and is pretty much seperate from the cambelt side of things, me and andyp took about 4-5 hours to do his and that was going steady

eternalife
01-11-2008, 20:23
Warranty for the work is essential

MatrixGuy
01-11-2008, 21:11
Am having mine done next week too, but my mechanic is taking the engine out, how long will that take?! :shock:

LEIGH-ANNE
02-11-2008, 00:05
Ok thanks for all the replies.

Ill get back to him and set him staight. If not ill get another mech to do it. There were a few in the garage willing to do the work on the side so ill tell him to jog on.....

Either that or pay one of u lot to do it.....dont mind putting sumone up for a day or 2 till its dun......or ill travel.....tbh id rather one of u lot did it! :D

thanks again :wink:

Rich
02-11-2008, 10:57
Am having mine done next week too, but my mechanic is taking the engine out, how long will that take?! :shock:

its quicker to get the engine out and do it that way tbh, engine comes out in an hour and a half easily and then just a case of swapping bits and bobs, getting it all timed up and off you go again.

summeh
02-11-2008, 16:59
Everyone works at diff paces etc. Someone who is familiar with clio's/reno's will obviously be faster at working on them.

But 150quid for "the job" is quite cheap regardless of whether it takes him 4 or 12 hours. What EXACTLY did he quote FOR? 12 hours of work, get the job done in 12 hours, or just get the job done for 150quid and would prolly take 12hours?

From memory ktec doing a full cambelt change for 150+vat. Now that's cheap for a reputable(?) company.

Normally though a company is going to want to charge £35-50/hour down here, plus parts which they will also make some money on. Or a renault dealer whom charge £75/hour :O

2 live
02-11-2008, 20:46
12 hours???

has he only got 1 finger and is blind in both eyes??

£150s not a bad price, but 12 hours lol......

summeh
02-11-2008, 20:51
aye 12 hours is on the long side...

don't forget we are all hardcore members and can do a cambelt within a few minutes, scoff scoff.

number1
02-11-2008, 20:53
"Oh Dear i thought it was going to be a 1.2" was his first thoughts after opening the bonnet i bet!
Id be more than happy to do it but im down ere in rainy old cornwall miles away from civilisation!

LEIGH-ANNE
02-11-2008, 22:42
Yea i see matt.....ill have another chat to him. Ideally i want the car back the same day....

I assumed it would be the £150 for the job, pump and belt. Like u lot are saying how long it takes him is hes problem. But now hes trying to tell me that it will take 12 hours to do :? cock!

Tbh i have a feeling hes just trying it on with me. Ive met him the once. And to look at me ud prob say im into having my nails dun and hair done weekly. I havent had a 'chat' to him about it face to face, dont think hes realised i know a little more than ur average blonde lol :wink:

Ill pop over there tmora me thinks and have a chat face to face and gets facts straight with him! I personally think £150 for a days work is very good ferkin money to anybody. Hes being a bit greedy in asking for double. Ive set aside £500 for the stuff i want doing and WILL get it all done for that price!!

Matt does that include the cambelt kit from k-tec?? Ill certainly quote this to him anyways if he tells me to ''go to them then'' then ill sweet talk another reno employee......which will work!

Number1 - i have family in cornwall.....if ur keen??

Allan
02-11-2008, 22:43
took me 11 hours to do mine first time lol, but that was first time never having done one..

And that inculded plenty of trips to halfrauds buying extra tools :D

doug2.0
03-11-2008, 18:57
^^ haha sounds like everytime i do a job on mine, try alternator belt.. 2 and half days!!!
ive sworn its the last thing i do myself, everytime it goes wrong through no fault of my own!

£150 for cambelt is cheap tho, but id take it to a reputable reno garage if i were you, all the other monkeys dont seem to know what there doing on the f7's

LEIGH-ANNE
03-11-2008, 18:59
Its a reno mech that will be doing it doug....and in a reno workshop....

Didnt get around to going over there today....

I just want it sorted now!!!!! :evil:

cliorod
03-11-2008, 19:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got mine changed about 3 months ago,by a senior Renault maniac ( mechanic) as a "foreigner" who just loves Williams ,use the workshop,changed the auxillary belt,oil and filter at the same time,started 12:30 after work,Ipicked the car up at 4:30 all done and dusted running like a dream ~~~ £50 plus £80 for the parts,
He is an absolute demon on the Clio's.
I guess it is all about who you know ~~Makes you think why main agents charge the NORMAL fees to do this task.

I hope I have not upset anyone ~~ not intentional if I have.

Leigh ~ Anne,
I posted this some while ago,fairly self explanatory.If the mechanic is a good one, :roll: he should be able to do in a similar time ~ certainly no more than 6/7 hours :roll: :roll: ~ job is booked at 12hours to be done through the garage.
Rod

LEIGH-ANNE
03-11-2008, 19:39
Thanks cliorod.....

Ok yea u lot are right here. although the decision to be made is whether to confront him and say 'Look, ffs stop playing games' or just say forget it mate, ill find sumone else. Then ask one of the other mechs to do it... :P

Wobba
04-11-2008, 16:21
have you actually asked him to confirm the price, or is this all just speculation on if he will charge more?

LEIGH-ANNE
04-11-2008, 16:49
ME - Main things are cambelt and water pump. Possible head gasket change too. plus other minor things i could prob do myself but im lazy haha

Mech - headgasket. Ouch, that will take a lot of time

Me - I am aware of that :(

Mech - The cambelt is part of the headgasket

Me - Ok was due to go on a rr day up in leeds but needs this dun saturday if poss. I have the money waiting. How much discount do u get on parts? Ive only got the pump, and aux belt so far

Mech - A bit, that jobs gona be 3 days work

Me - 3 days for a waterpump and cambelt? ( :evil: ) :^o

Mech - Headgasket. Otherwise cambelt will have to be dun again, its nearly 12 hours for pump and belt

Me - So how much did u say to ***** it would originally be when it was just the cambelt and pump?

Mech - £300 will do it

Me - ****** Told me £150

Mech - Never for all that work!

That was the convo i had with him, through txts. So thats how it stands. My source is going to speak to him to see wot hes playing at i think, but hes off sick at the mo....

lewis_willy2
04-11-2008, 17:10

cant see him being a mechanic if he said that.

basically my view is. if he fixes for £150 make sure if he breaks it he fixes it.

im not a mechanic but a qualified electrical/mechanical engineer with some very good knowledge of clios.

i done a headgasket water pump and cambelt on my matt black clio in 2days. prob coulda cut that time down to a day and a half but parts kept turning up wrong!!

i also have a friend who wants his engine changing in his clio. ive told him £250 and i will do it. should only take 2days. but insisting he has me change the cambelt.

another friend wants a gearbox fitting to a clio. will take the lump out and replace the box. again told him to give me 2 days. hes my best m8 and chargin 170.

i work on the basis. if i break it i pay for it/fix it.

i would do your cambelt and water pump for £150. this would just be chrimbo money for me. i would charge an extra 100 for the headgasket aswell and would insist on a head inspection and maybe a skim. i dont do it for loads of cash but because i dont like being charged the earth . so i dont either. maybe this mechanic has the same views as me, cheap because he wants to help you out. by no means does it or should it question his ability

Wobba
04-11-2008, 17:16
Thing is with HG you have to consider all the other jobs it entails. I mean, waterpump and cambelt are easy compared to HG itself as there are usually a lot of other things to consider with it like comp. testing, possible head skimming, cleaning valves, stem seals etc etc.

With a big job like that you may as well do a shit load of other stuff like Inlet and exhaust mani gaskets, cleaning inlet out of all crap buildup, ISCV, Throttle body cleaning, new headbolts and cleaning bolt holes, cleaning pistons, checking bores for damage etc etc.

HG can turn into a big old job mate. Lowest quote I had was £700+vat for that and cambelt, not including waterump.

busterhymes
04-11-2008, 17:16
hi been reading your post and sounds like you got a few probs but to be honest with todays labour charges £300 is not a lot for what you want doin as for the time to do the job seems a long time but wondering if he is working on having to get head skimmed before refitting so guess you need to enquire good luck :)

Wobba
04-11-2008, 17:18
The cambelt is not part of the HG lol. What he may have meant is that the cambelt is part of a HG job.

lewis_willy2
04-11-2008, 17:20
i miss read it. but ye do a headgasket then your not gonna an old cambelt back on

Wobba
04-11-2008, 17:33
i miss read it. but ye do a headgasket then your not gonna an old cambelt back on

Yea defo, but as I said, with an HG, if you have the time and while it's all off you may as well get really dirty and do a shedload of other stuff.

lewis_willy2
04-11-2008, 17:35
ye totally agree

LEIGH-ANNE
04-11-2008, 17:39

cant see him being a mechanic if he said that.

basically my view is. if he fixes for £150 make sure if he breaks it he fixes it.

im not a mechanic but a qualified electrical/mechanical engineer with some very good knowledge of clios.

i done a headgasket water pump and cambelt on my matt black clio in 2days. prob coulda cut that time down to a day and a half but parts kept turning up wrong!!

i also have a friend who wants his engine changing in his clio. ive told him £250 and i will do it. should only take 2days. but insisting he has me change the cambelt.

another friend wants a gearbox fitting to a clio. will take the lump out and replace the box. again told him to give me 2 days. hes my best m8 and chargin 170.

i work on the basis. if i break it i pay for it/fix it.

i would do your cambelt and water pump for £150. this would just be chrimbo money for me. i would charge an extra 100 for the headgasket aswell and would insist on a head inspection and maybe a skim. i dont do it for loads of cash but because i dont like being charged the earth . so i dont either. maybe this mechanic has the same views as me, cheap because he wants to help you out. by no means does it or should it question his ability

Sorry lots of questions first -

How much to get the head skimmed?? and an inspection then?

As this was an off the books job, he was doing this on a saturday, as apparently mechs get saturdays to do there own work or sumthing....

LEIGH-ANNE
04-11-2008, 17:41
Thing is with HG you have to consider all the other jobs it entails. I mean, waterpump and cambelt are easy compared to HG itself as there are usually a lot of other things to consider with it like comp. testing, possible head skimming, cleaning valves, stem seals etc etc.

With a big job like that you may as well do a s**t load of other stuff like Inlet and exhaust mani gaskets, cleaning inlet out of all crap buildup, ISCV, Throttle body cleaning, new headbolts and cleaning bolt holes, cleaning pistons, checking bores for damage etc etc.

HG can turn into a big old job mate. Lowest quote I had was £700+vat for that and cambelt, not including waterump.

I certainly wouldnt entertain changing sumthing unless it was broken, i no wot clios are like!

lewis_willy2
04-11-2008, 17:43
well its 28 quid for a skim.

not sure on how much to get it x rayed to check for cracks etc. wouldnt have thought it would be needed tho as it hasnt suffered any damage. a set of valve stem seal wouldnt go a miss while it is off tho. re-lap the valves etc. i would do this at no extra cost as its not that hard and doesnt take too long

LEIGH-ANNE
04-11-2008, 17:47
hi been reading your post and sounds like you got a few probs but to be honest with todays labour charges £300 is not a lot for what you want doin as for the time to do the job seems a long time but wondering if he is working on having to get head skimmed before refitting so guess you need to enquire good luck :)

Thanks buster....He wants to charge £300 for just a new belt and pump. That aint including parts. Id be happy to pay him that for the other bits i want doing too and the head gasket

LEIGH-ANNE
04-11-2008, 17:47
well its 28 quid for a skim.

not sure on how much to get it x rayed to check for cracks etc. wouldnt have thought it would be needed tho as it hasnt suffered any damage. a set of valve stem seal wouldnt go a miss while it is off tho. re-lap the valves etc. i would do this at no extra cost as its not that hard and doesnt take too long

Where are u from then my new best friend?? :wink:

lewis_willy2
04-11-2008, 17:52
kent

pm replied

LEIGH-ANNE
04-11-2008, 17:54
:D

I brought the willy from kent... gillingham, drove up with summeh 8)

busterhymes
04-11-2008, 18:02

Thanks buster....He wants to charge £300 for just a new belt and pump. That aint including parts. Id be happy to pay him that for the other bits i want doing too and the head gasket

mmmmm bit expensive for a job on the side especially given he wants it for as long as u quoted would he be doing it at his work place think u mentioned he was reno tech bit cheeky if he is maybe worth seein if you can get a few quotes at least will give you an idea of costs as comparison :) :)

Wobba
04-11-2008, 18:02
Relapping and decarbonising valves and new stem seals, along with compression test, reboring exhaust manifold bolt hole, skimming and sorting seized thermo housing bolts cost me £300!

BRUN
05-11-2008, 07:58
if he is doing it at work, in the workshop, and he is a renault tech, your basically getting your car done at Renault, and £300 for that job is cheap, really cheap

when my headgasket went on my valver, and i wanted cambelt doing aswell, none of the local garages would do it for less than £800 all in, i ended up getting it towed to GDI for them to do it, and even with that it was cheaper

most of the lads at work would charge ~ £150 to do a cambelt, another £100 or so for the head gasket job, plus coolant etc and your their

i wish i could have got mine done for £300 !!!

although some on here have done their own, very few mechanics know these engines very well, and they can be a c**t to work on, their is no room to do anything, i think if you get someone to do it for less it either wont be as good a job, or they will want more £ half way through when they realise how much extra work it is over a normal clio