PDA

View Full Version : FAO mechanical boffins

J o n
30-10-2008, 12:30
right, any of you mechanically minded smart people happen to know if the fitment of Jenvey ITB's differ at all from the Williams/Megane to the F4R engine? I know the Megane and Willy heads are different, but I basically want to know if my bodies can go on a Mk1 engine?

Evogone
30-10-2008, 13:52
right, any of you mechanically minded smart people happen to know if the fitment of Jenvey ITB's differ at all from the Williams/Megane to the F4R engine? I know the Megane and Willy heads are different, but I basically want to know if my bodies can go on a Mk1 engine?

Why ? Are you selling them ??

J o n
30-10-2008, 16:34
yeah I reckon so mate, my engine is due a rebuild as it's getting on for 100k on a stock BE and head and it's a bit smokey.

I've decided to go low compression instead of high as it will cost the same in that respect. I've had fun with the ITB's and while it's a great noise and the power is much better I just want a more effortless kind of power... boost is the only real option.

I'll have to sell the jenveys to buy my boost creating device.

bendee
30-10-2008, 17:53
if your bodies will fit a williams block gimmie a shout if your selling im after some bodies myself.

J o n
30-10-2008, 18:22
will do, I'm not sure if they will or not, I'd guess they would require a different manifold... I could probably get Simon at Jenvey to do a swap if need be

bendee
30-10-2008, 18:40
yeah might just be a case off different manifold, would you be selling the lot? management ect?

Matty86
30-10-2008, 19:49
I've got a spare 172 head and I've got a spare valver manifold in my garage, i'll try and test them tomorrow for you. I'm fairly sure the stud spacing is different though (like the exhaust manifold)

Jamie.
30-10-2008, 19:54
What you up to?

Haven't you just spent a shed load on these at GDI?

Not feel you should give it more of a go seeing as it will be alot of money 'wasted'?

Coops
30-10-2008, 19:57
he's turboing as finally he realises all the quick clios are turboed :wink: :lol:

eternalife
30-10-2008, 20:57
he's turboing as finally he realises all the quick clios are turboed :wink: :lol:

and broken?
and do 2k a year?
:lol:

Agreed turbo for big power 8) - unsure of vehicle reliability personally :?

arj256
30-10-2008, 21:02
Why not put an Mitsubishi Evolution engine in? If your going the turbo route.
For the hassle of mating it to a Colt gearbox and abit of fabrication of drive shafts etc.
You end up with 260bhp out of the box of lovely reliable power.
Rather than making something its design brief never was.

summeh
31-10-2008, 00:24
what boost generating method will you be using :?:

J o n
31-10-2008, 09:52
bendee - just the bodies mate, you'd need to get management for them as I'm keeping my Omex. Been told the bodies will deffo fit ANY 4 cylinder engine too, just the manifold that's different.

Jamie - didn't spend much at all as I already had a map for ITB's and already had the management, so was just a case of putting the bodies on and away we go. I've had ITB's for almost 3 years now though, so have certainly given them a good go! lol

Coops - no turbo for me, I want reliable power and less lag the better :)

Arj - Evo engine etc would cost an absolute fortune, but what I'm doing wont as I already have the ECU, I literally just need the boost creating device.

So no turbo for me, leaving only one choice... positive displacement Rotrex super charger. Will be WELL over 300bhp in that spec with a mental amount of torque :)

Matty86
31-10-2008, 15:42
starting from the centre (between #2 and #3) the F4R head's bolts are increasingly further out compared to the valver manifold, if that makes sense

i.e. they don't line up

Coops
31-10-2008, 16:52

and broken?
and do 2k a year?

jealousy will get you no where mate, i know your car is slow but theres no need to take it out on me :wink:

eternalife
31-10-2008, 17:48

and broken?
and do 2k a year?

jealousy will get you no where mate, i know your car is slow but theres no need to take it out on me :wink:

Doh! self owned :cry:

2 live
31-10-2008, 19:10
lol...can i show u how to drive it wen u finished buildin it??

hehe

number1
31-10-2008, 19:17
Are the bodies "direct to head" or do they have a manifold? Most have a pattern i.e. dcoe but there are some custom jobbies that will only fit what there intended to fit..

summeh
04-11-2008, 04:38
ooo rotrex you say... someone else that's seen the light then :wink:

You could run it on the std ecu btw :wink: No omex needed.

300 is on the low side though. Guess you are restricting it or using one of the smaller chargers then because the internals aren't up to the job/you don't want reliability issues...

Daz.
04-11-2008, 08:16
I asked about these ages ago on the willy, no-one said it would fit - is it easier on an f4 then?

MAXIBOY
04-11-2008, 12:14
there no kit as such and its twice as difficult as a turbo installation for very little gain against a low lag gt28rs type turbo with a loss at the top end..

J o n
04-11-2008, 14:44
number 1 - they are not DTH, they are Jenveys so have a manifold mate.

Summeh - Roxtrex aye, may as well as GDI and TCS are the only people you can buy them off lol.

Can run on standard ECU, a lot of things will, but I want more than just the top line being mapped for power, I can do that myself in 30 minutes. I want it to run and drive well all over the rev range... so may as well do it properly.

300+bhp doesn't seem low to me, not on the RR I use anyway. Going to use as big a charger as I can and forged internals, standard ones dont last.

Maxiboy - there is a kit and it's easier according to the people that will be doing it and I get to keep the AC :)
No idea what a GT28 is (other than a turbo lol), but I'm not going down the turbo route. I hate them tbh... lag and reliability are two major put off's, I'm yet to hear about a daily driver turbo car... most seem to do about 1k a year then need a rebuild :lol:

Matty86
04-11-2008, 14:47
did you see my reply?

J o n
04-11-2008, 14:58
sorry mate, yeah I did. The manifold wont fit, that would need to be for a 710 or 714 head, but the bodies themselves I'm told will fit nearly any 4 cylinder car :)

summeh
05-11-2008, 04:35
Summeh - Roxtrex aye, may as well as GDI and TCS are the only people you can buy them off lol.

What? There was loads of companies selling these when I looked in to it :?: Cheaper to buy from USA etc and have it imported anyway.

J o n
05-11-2008, 13:21

What? There was loads of companies selling these when I looked in to it :?: Cheaper to buy from USA etc and have it imported anyway.

not in kit form, Rotrex dont sell to individuals and TCS and GDI are the only two authorised dealers in the UK. Rotrex themselves told me this... then again policy can change to suit, I'm sure they are flexible lol

and dont be silly, I wont be paying anything like full price ;) lol

Matty86
05-11-2008, 18:02
sorry mate, yeah I did. The manifold wont fit, that would need to be for a 710 or 714 head, but the bodies themselves I'm told will fit nearly any 4 cylinder car :)

they should do yeh, the f7 fuel rail fits an f4r perfectly, so the bodies should be spaced correctly too

summeh
05-11-2008, 19:38

not in kit form, Rotrex dont sell to individuals and TCS and GDI are the only two authorised dealers in the UK. Rotrex themselves told me this... then again policy can change to suit, I'm sure they are flexible lol

and dont be silly, I wont be paying anything like full price ;) lol

You might want to tell them to update their website then, as at the moment they only list "TTS" as authorised dealer for UK.

You can buy the "kits" (rad, piping, charger, tank, etc) from loads of places, quick search on google comes up with a few places, even in the UK.

J o n
05-11-2008, 22:33
tbh it's not really on my list of concerns or cares, I'm getting a good kit at a good price