PDA

View Full Version : strut brace

mutley
27-06-2005, 20:52
i bought a nice ans shinyt sparco strut brace from ebay the other day, when i get round to fitting it, is it just a case of wacking some holes thro the bodywork (suspension mount?? - i cant remember what that bit is called!! :oops: ) and then tightening a few nuts, bolts and washers or just bolts and washers? can i get a nut up onto that bolt???

any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated before i get the drill out :twisted: :lol: :roll:

Nick Hill
28-06-2005, 18:39
If you only want it to look good under the bonnet just use 10mm head self tapping body bolts. If you want it to work as well, then you have to take the shocks off and use nuts and bolts.

mutley
28-06-2005, 21:02
cool, thanks nick - i want it to work so will do the nut and bolt option!

2 live
28-06-2005, 22:40
if poss try n get a blob of weld on the nuts when its in..that way you wont have to pull the struts off evry time u wanna pull the brace off......for servicing items etc.

scotte666
29-06-2005, 16:49
so if i just screw a brace in instead of bolting it its purely for looks?if i do it this way will it still make my roof crease

Nick Hill
29-06-2005, 19:49
The idea of the strut brace (besides looks) is to attempt to stop suspension movement from flexing the body shell. Its this movement combined with stiffer suspension that puts creases at the back of the sunroof.
If you just screw the brace down with self tapping body bolts, over time with suspension movement the bolts can become loose and the strut brace becomes less and less effective. If you drill throught the suspension top on the car and fix it firm with bolts there is less likelyhood anything will come loose.. On most competition cars the strut brace mounts are welded to the shell.