PDA

View Full Version : need help taking rods of steering rack please

andreas395
22-10-2008, 20:09
any tips easy way what tools and this breather pipe does it go in the gator thanks people

andreas395
22-10-2008, 20:11
any tips easy way what tools and this breather pipe does it go in the gator thanks people

sorry in typing so short i was writting for about half hour about the missions i have had to day and it said its in debug mode :x

Mark One
22-10-2008, 20:21
is this track rod ends?

If those are stiff you need heat, and lots of it.

franksvalver
22-10-2008, 20:21
track rods are arsehole mate. leave the trackrod in the hub. heat the steering rack arm up where the track rod thread is and spin it off.

andreas395
22-10-2008, 20:39
its the whole rod not just the ends there well a trully fooked tride for a bout an hour to get ends of with heat and everything possible and bent the rod and rod end did not move one bit so replacing the rods and track rod ends does it just unscrew from the rack then thanks

franksvalver
22-10-2008, 20:56
kinda. imo its easier with rack off car :S

andreas395
22-10-2008, 21:08
taking rack of is to much of mission i have a lot of rome to work with as all of the suspension hubs a lower arms are of getting replaced surley i don have to tkae the rack out also whats this locking nut on the rod how do you make sure its on prop thanks

Wobba
23-10-2008, 13:52
The rods have a locking washer made of metal where they bolt onto the steering rack.

Jack car up, put on full lock for access, wheels off, get a small stilson wrench/mole grips or whatever yer weapon of choice and force the bugger to unscrew. It's hard but it will go with heat as well. You can get a wet flannel and wrap the parts that may get heat damage if you are worried about that.

Get new replacements, replace, do tracking, job done.

white16valver
23-10-2008, 18:07
I assume the locking bit just locks into place as you put the new ones on? :)

Wobba
23-10-2008, 19:52
I assume the locking bit just locks into place as you put the new ones on? :)

Basicly, yes. Theres a big washer type bit that goes in between the rack and rod and the washer squidges between it and the ball joint when you tighten it up.

white16valver
24-10-2008, 13:41
Cool :)

You make it sound so easy but I bet I **** it up when I have a go :( lol

andreas395
24-10-2008, 14:08
Cool :)

You make it sound so easy but I bet I f**k it up when I have a go :( lol

was quite easy mate done it with some mole grips and a hammer you have to put the mole grips on and give it a smack to break the locking nut then after that it should move its still very stiff to undo till the end but got there in the end. the breather pipe that goes on the gator is a bitch drivers size but the other side you can do it from the top in 5 mins just unclip you collant bottle and you have loads of room and you can see where it goes in

white16valver
24-10-2008, 18:37
cool, this is all good advice, thank you everyone! :D