PDA

View Full Version : any tips for fitting my widetrack??

Badbill
19-10-2008, 19:15
just looking for some advice really...
should i try this myself/with mates??? or go pro??
cheers guys

franksvalver
19-10-2008, 20:08
depends if you have bought a full subframe or are just going to reuse the valver frame.

it is a big job tbh mate. plenty of things to look out for.

Bumper off, wheels off, discs off, downpipe off.

Thats the best start.

Take calipers off... and hubs off the subframe...iirc 16mm bolt goes through the under side of the hub securing it to the subframe. Hubs and driveshafts will then hang on the suspension leg.

1x13mm bolt which attaches to an arm on the subframe behind the wheel on both sides. remove this.

Four x 16mm bolts that bolt the rack onto the subframe...(bit tight and awkward).

Remove gear-linkage. 2x13mm (one on the gearbox one on the gearstick end...(may have to bend heat sheild)) DO NOT UNDO CENTRE GEAR LINKAGE NUT

Remove dogbone mount.

Make sure powersteering pipe/hose is free from the clips on the subframe.

Get a jack under the subframe and undo the four main subframe bolts. 2 16mm up front and 2 18mm at the back.

If you dont know what you are looking at it might prove very unworthwhile doing it

IMO i would remove the hubs and driveshafts as the hubs are easier to put back on when the subframe is refitted

Wouldnt hurt to change gearbox oil anyway. Driveshafts arent a big problem any way. this way the hub etc are out of your way and makes it easier to replace.

Badbill
19-10-2008, 20:40
well i was thinking about replacing the whole subframe aswell,

i know its heaver and all but seen as i have it, and all the parts are already on it..was hoping for a drop off slip on kinda job...(havent had many of these with the clios so far haha)

would i need to take all the bits off it to put them on the valver or could i just swap the lot at once and be lazy???

also im not sure what hubs to use i herd that with the valver ones you get tons of camber but no tyres haha...
anyone tried or had experiance with this??

number1
19-10-2008, 21:14
Valver and williams hubs are identical i believe, It's the shocks that have different bolt hole spacings and the valver ones give negative camber, quite good if your into cup racer looks, would probably increase grip too

Dave

franksvalver
19-10-2008, 22:53
Ive just finsihed my widetrack mate

I used my valver frame, williams wishbones, williams anti roll bar, valver hubs, williams shocks new polybushes allround, williams steering rack track rod ends.

End of the day mate the subframe isnt a bolt on bolt off job, Theres the other bits you need to take off and remove to do the job. The exhaust manifold could pose a big problem for a novice

white16valver
20-10-2008, 19:17
Can someone move this post into the Guides section? It's good! :)

CRLParis
21-10-2008, 12:40
bill if u want a hand all u need to do is ask u wud just have to get the car to my nans and id get the air tools on it ;)

Badbill
23-10-2008, 17:10
cheers chris :-) just it my not be going on "that" valver...
im thinking i need a toy because ive been good ;-) and tim wants my grey one anyways...