PDA

View Full Version : You will never guess what happened..... :(

MatrixGuy
18-10-2008, 15:24
I was topping up my engine oil outside work on Thursday with just 1 litre.

Now, Thursday evening and Friday morning i could smell oil but didn't really think much of it :roll:

Friday night i came back home from somewhere and noticed oil on the driveway, shvt!! i thought. First thing i did was to have a look in the engine bay....... that's when i noticed the horror of what i had done (or forgot to do!!!!) :shock:

I had forgot to put the screw lid back on after topping up the oil!!! to be honest i feel more ashamed telling you guys this as i can't believe i did it!!!!! After thinking about how i could of done it i remember our receptionist at work coming out to talk to me while i was doing it, now i do like her but surely she couldn't of distracted me that much!!! :shock:

There was oil everywhere, and i mean everywhere. Luckily i have been driving like a old pensioner recently so maybe that helped the situation somewhat!?!

I spent a good 2 hours cleaning the engine bay in the dark last night with absorbent cloths and microfibre towels.

My qustion is could this stupid incident have done any serious damage? :cry:

Iain

Jamie.
18-10-2008, 16:03
I cant believe you didn't notice.

Surley your oil pressure was materially down/

MatrixGuy
18-10-2008, 16:08
I cant believe you didn't notice.

Surley your oil pressure was materially down/

Thinking about it now i did notice the pressure was down but didn't think too much of it.

I think i get the dumb ass award, lol. :oops:

schakal
18-10-2008, 16:49
this is beyond school boy error

BIG FAIL !!!! :?

MatrixGuy
18-10-2008, 16:52
I know, i feel awful mate, don't make me feel any worse! lol.

Jamie.
18-10-2008, 16:58
At least you didn't put a sock over the cap. Think that was someone Gunner knew. ****ed his engine.

Mr.AdamB
18-10-2008, 17:12
LOL!!!! it will be ok man. but atleast u will never do this again. :D

busterhymes
18-10-2008, 17:18
no ones perfect :lol: bet we could all have a story to tell i know i do :oops:

Jamie.
18-10-2008, 17:20
no ones perfect :lol: bet we could all have a story to tell i know i do :oops:

Haha, I will agree with that one.

MatrixGuy
18-10-2008, 17:32
No i won't!!! :oops:

To be honest am still in shock that i actually could do something like that, being the way i am. I have an OCD checking illness (for real) so this incident has really fuvked me up! lol.

I think the only plus point is that the engine bay is now quite clean and the oil has given a nice 'new' look to all the plastics, lmao. :shock:

The downside is that its a bit smokey when the engine is running, am guessing this is from the burning oil on the exhaust manifold!

Winston
18-10-2008, 17:56
Ive done it before :oops:

Justin..
18-10-2008, 18:43
^me too, thought my car was on fire :oops:

MatrixGuy
18-10-2008, 20:02
ahhhhhh, such a relief now, lol. Thought i was the only one, in the world!! lol.

McPikie
18-10-2008, 20:41
I hold my hand to not replacing a dipstick

It was like a ****ing fountain

Daz.
18-10-2008, 21:07
I was on my way to an mot in the old valver when black smoke started pouring out of everywhere - shit myself as I rolled into the garage - their faces were pictures..

Forgot to remove the roll of bin liners I'd used to cover the 'leccy bits pre mot time :oops:

The manifold was a bit manky for a while!

LEIGH-ANNE
18-10-2008, 23:37
I no sumone thats dun this to their williams too lol! :lol:

katbloke
19-10-2008, 12:13
better for the engine than over filling it, now get some degreaser and trim dressing on their :D

titcharoony
19-10-2008, 12:47
my first car was a nova sr, i did exactly the same. well i put it on, but not properly, and yup, i thought my engine was on fire about 2 miles down the road. cue best mate retracing my step and finding my cap, then my bro delivering it, then ultimate jetwash

franksvalver
19-10-2008, 13:14
haha the fiesta mk3 turbos suffer from blown off oil cap syndrome too! Smmmmokkaaayyy

Coops
19-10-2008, 15:27
daz, why would you need to cover things before an mot :?

and yeah twas gunners mate who lost his cap, then used a sock to plug it up, it worked its way down, caught on a cam and jammed it, ****in the lump :lol: :roll:

good old gibbo himself has done it once aswell when i took his car for a spin back in the day, didnt screw cap on tight and we lost the ****er, had to walk back to my car, borrow my cap and return his car home :lol:

MatrixGuy
19-10-2008, 15:45
Cheers for the replies everyone, feeling much better now, especially after Daz came out with his story, lol.... only messing mate :D

cliokiz
20-10-2008, 17:44
I did this in my old hybrid.

Thing is, i drove for about 30 minutes down a motorway before i noticed, had blue smoke pouring in the heater vents and all i could see was blue!

Wondered WTF was going on!

Had to pull over at a services to find my engine bay absolutely dripping with oil.

Replaced the cap and replaced the oil and my engine was never the same again, it ****ed the valve stem seals :(

About a month after that someone torched the car anyway then the engine was completely ****ed.

Sigh.

bendee
20-10-2008, 19:09
i did a oil change put the cap on top but didnt tighen it drove up the road and randomly thought about it got out had a look ad thank god i rememberd lol. also the othger day drove off with wheel locking nut still on my bolt lost that now lol

Justin..
20-10-2008, 19:12
lol, i've dont the locking wheel nut thing, luckily it was on the road out side my house squashed into the tarmac a bit LOL

white16valver
20-10-2008, 19:21
The ex did this too - hence the underside of my bonnet is more black than white LoL

LEIGH-ANNE
20-10-2008, 19:21
i did a oil change put the cap on top but didnt tighen it drove up the road and randomly thought about it got out had a look ad thank god i rememberd lol. also the othger day drove off with wheel locking nut still on my bolt lost that now lol

:lol:

Daz.
20-10-2008, 19:23
daz, why would you need to cover things before an mot :?

and yeah twas gunners mate who lost his cap, then used a sock to plug it up, it worked its way down, caught on a cam and jammed it, F***IN the lump :lol: :roll:

good old gibbo himself has done it once aswell when i took his car for a spin back in the day, didnt screw cap on tight and we lost the f**ker, had to walk back to my car, borrow my cap and return his car home :lol:

I was doing some re-wiring and it was raining so I was using the bin bags to cover the exposed cabling while I worked on it - when I took everything in and closed the bonnet ready for dropping it off in the morning I hadn't removed the roll of liners :oops:

2 live
20-10-2008, 20:04

lol....iv done that 1 before now too.iv also had someone put their oil filler cap on with a hammer n lump o wood too....took it to a trackday,obviously drank quite a bit of the oil......could we fuk get the cap off to throw some more oil in..... u know who you are hehe.

MatrixGuy
21-10-2008, 12:53

Thing is, i drove for about 30 minutes down a motorway before i noticed, had blue smoke pouring in the heater vents and all i could see was blue!

Had to pull over at a services to find my engine bay absolutely dripping with oil.

Replaced the cap and replaced the oil and my engine was never the same again, it f**ked the valve stem seals :(

About a month after that someone torched the car anyway then the engine was completely f**ked.

Sigh.

Shvt!!

Sorry to hear that mate.

Wobba
21-10-2008, 13:42
The guy who owned my car before me did the same thing. Its left a big big mess in the bay, some I have cleaned but th rest will need to be done when/if I take the engine apart.

Laine_16v
21-10-2008, 15:41
Im guilty of this too, probably did about 10 miles before i finally noticed, makes a f***ing mess of the engine bay, but everything stays shiny and doesnt rust lol!

MatrixGuy
22-10-2008, 12:33
Im guilty of this too, probably did about 10 miles before i finally noticed, makes a f***ing mess of the engine bay, but everything stays shiny and doesnt rust lol!

ahh, thats good then, lol.

titcharoony
22-10-2008, 14:21

Replaced the cap and replaced the oil and my engine was never the same again, it f**ked the valve stem seals :(

About a month after that someone torched the car anyway then the engine was completely f**ked.

Sigh.

good times.

LEIGH-ANNE
22-10-2008, 14:23

lol....iv done that 1 before now too.iv also had someone put their oil filler cap on with a hammer n lump o wood too....took it to a trackday,obviously drank quite a bit of the oil......could we f*k get the cap off to throw some more oil in..... u know who you are hehe.

U cant say sumthing like that then not say who it was!! :lol: