PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Proxes

talkingfish
18-10-2008, 13:33
I know these have been discussed at length before but I'm wondering if mine are contributing to my current handling "issues".

Took 0425 and 0062 out with Coops last night and both agreed that 0425 with it's new standard set up definately felt slightly "light" on the limit (were taking 8/10ths and above) compared with how we think a Willy should feel...

Now, I know some people have said that Proxes are weak on the sidewalls - do you think they could be having an effect? If so, what tyres have a stronger sidewall - F1's?

Any ideas??

Wobba
18-10-2008, 13:50
Could just be worn parts like track rod balljoints. Checked tyre pressures?

busterhymes
18-10-2008, 13:57
guess tyres are a potential issue they are subject to large amounts of lateral stress and if as you say the tyres have a weak sidewall then a degree of distortion will occur
but from reading some many threads about handling issues linked to worn suspension components like track rods/suspension units front and rear worn bushings on the ARB or suspension arms is it really worth bothering to much about the prob unless there are major handling issues
suppose if coops would be willing to allow you to try out his wheels on your car this may give some indication of a tyre issue
im afraid with old cars there are so many variables to consider without a pot full of cash then it might be a nightmare to resolve or you could hit on the answer first time good luck and be interested to see how things go :) :)

Jamie.
18-10-2008, 14:01
I have proxes and I think that describing it as light on the limit is a brilliant description.

Try the wet....... Bloody dangerous tbh. Feels like you are running a car with 5000bhp so, so twitchy.

busterhymes
18-10-2008, 14:16
mmmmm not goin to try them then :lol:

talkingfish
18-10-2008, 16:08
this is my issue though.. I've replaced shockers, springs, wishbones and bushes - just got the track rods to go.... Coops mentioned that as everything else is new, would this highlight a weakness in the trackrods now....???

Jamie.
18-10-2008, 16:10
If you live next to Coops why not have a go at swapping your wheels and see how it goes?

busterhymes
18-10-2008, 16:26
definitely think the track rods contribute to your issue i have play in both inboard joints and i get the lightness you mention when accelerating hard and as mention by northy in an earlier posting that changing these items transformed the handling in a big way on his car so looks fav at mo if you get the front end jacked up you may be able to detect play when you trying to turn the front wheels need to grasp tyre at both sides and given a bit of a wiggle if you get me easier to do than explain :?

Coops
18-10-2008, 17:35
i'd be more than willing to swap wheels :wink: :wink:

talkingfish
18-10-2008, 18:28
i'd be more than willing to swap wheels :wink: :wink:

I bet you would.... :lock:

spikey-ben
19-10-2008, 18:04
I had proxes on a astra gte a few years ago and were leathal mate, Try F1's or PE2's. I would recomend you do your track rods aswell they made a huge difference to mine making it a lot more presice on the steering and lost the twichyness. Can be a pain to change though i would do this first before changing tyres though.

talkingfish
19-10-2008, 20:21
I have some track rods ready to put on - do you need some new rubber gaiters too before installation??

My front Proxes are quite worn on the inside edge - will changing the fronts to F1's make a difference??

Allan
19-10-2008, 21:14
running f1's on mine and its running lovely but it has a weird knock, all my suspension is new too, just going to change all the bush's an see if that helps

Coops
19-10-2008, 23:08
its likely you will need new boots mate, they tend to split when they are removed iirc, but garage may be able to cover that for you.

and as said, maybe try some different rubber

i am more than willing to let you borrow my wheels to go for a spin, just to see, can check over your bolts at the same time.....ahem...give me a shout, am free monday and wednesday nights 8)

Purple
20-10-2008, 00:40
What cold tyre pressures are you running?

talkingfish
20-10-2008, 09:06
What cold tyre pressures are you running?

30psi all round

Purple
20-10-2008, 10:02
30psi all round
That's about right. Proxes T1Rs on mine feels fairly neutral all the way till it 3-wheels. And, obviously, when 3-wheeling it lightens up the rear a whole lot. If yours is 3-wheeling too easily, the rear might be sitting too high or too light.

Although the wear on the inside edge of the tyre is highly unusual. It usually wear evenly or on the outside, if you sling the car round corners a lot. Have you check the tracking?

talkingfish
20-10-2008, 11:20
my tracking was way out - hence the wear, but this was checked and rectified when the suspension was changed....

Purple
20-10-2008, 12:37
Are you still on the old tyres? The severe misalignment earlier could have messed up the tyres, if you had them on for a long time. OTOH, if the new tracking alignment holds its setting even after driving a bit, I would think that there should not be a major problem with the track rods. Does anything "wobble" if you grab the wheel and shake it while put on a jack? If not, it might be down to the tyre condition.

busterhymes
20-10-2008, 13:05
:roll:

Purple
20-10-2008, 13:29
Sorry buster, only read his stuff and skipped the rest until your eyeballs rolled.