PDA

View Full Version : what the best way to drain the power steering fluid and repl

andreas395
17-10-2008, 13:59
what the best way to drain the power steering fluid and replace with new and what fl uid should i use thanks 8)

LEIGH-ANNE
17-10-2008, 14:04
just unloosen the bottle attachment and tip upside down, careful not to soil....it's a mare to clean up! Be ready with a bottle to empty into.

Slick 50 is the best to use! It's shuts up whining pumps!

andreas395
17-10-2008, 17:23
just unloosen the bottle attachment and tip upside down, careful not to soil....it's a mare to clean up! Be ready with a bottle to empty into.

ok thanks for the info just one more thing is slick 50 added to the power steering fluid or is it power steering fluid and will 1 bottle 500ml be enough thanks

Clio_GTT
17-10-2008, 17:34

That won't completely empty the system, you'll need to take one of the pipes off the rack and empty it from there, if you're going to be really anal i'd take the rack off and drain that too

mossyv6
17-10-2008, 20:31

Is this true?

LEIGH-ANNE
17-10-2008, 23:41

ok thanks for the info just one more thing is slick 50 added to the power steering fluid or is it power steering fluid and will 1 bottle 500ml be enough thanks

As willy lover explains - thats down to whether u wana go the whole hog and drain it ALL out. If u do drain it all.....add a load of new stuck (slick 50 - which IS the fluid itself) then turn the steering wheel around and back again, this will help to circulate it. I think wen justin helped re-do mine, we didnt drain the entire pipe work, just the bottle. And that 500ml bottle will fit just nicely in there iirc

:D

number1
19-10-2008, 21:19
I disconnect the pipe that returns from the rack to the bottle and connect a longer piece of pipe into it then run the engine and work steering from lock to lock until no more comes out, thats for a full system flush but usually emptying the bottle and refilling with new stuff and or additive works wonders, i used some wynns pas stop leak on mine as the pump seals were tired, kept spitting it out the top of the cap, wynns stuff worked a treat!

Dave