PDA

View Full Version : D7F running issue

cliokiz
13-10-2008, 17:05
Anyone have any experience with these engines?

I've got my hands on a free MK1 1.2 ph3 clio, it has a slight running issue though.

It idles really rough and the exhaust is popping and farting like it's running on three cylinders. Problem is, it's not.

I pulled each plug out one by one and each cylinder is firing.

I checked all the connections and everything seems fine.

One thing i noticed is that if i disconnect the map sensor, this makes no difference at all to the way the engine runs, but if i disconnect the vacuum hose leading to the map sensor it seems to run a bit smoother, but still rough.

I tried my valver map sensor on it but it wouldn't run at all.

If i disconnect the map sensor when the valver is running it will just cut out, and it won't start without it connected. If i remove the vacuum hose when the valver is running, it runs really lumpy, similar to the 1.2

Do you think this could be my issue?

The car has been stood for 12 months, and before it was abandoned it had new cambelt, new valves, new head gasket, etc because the cambelt snapped beforehand.

I noticed there's mayo in the filler cap, and in the breathers for the head, but putting this down to it not being run for ages.

Any ideas?

MAXIBOY
13-10-2008, 18:18
sounds like the map sensor as you suggest really..

mayo is there because it stood or left from the head gasket maybe..

have you checked the cam timing was right and that the compression is ok..

cliokiz
13-10-2008, 23:23
Hi Neil,

Thanks.

Did some more testing this evening, we unplugged the map sensor when it was running and it just died, so that does actually seem to be working.

Tried unplugging each lead as it was running and can confirm again that all 4 cylinders are firing, and it made the same difference whichever lead we pulled out, so i think that kinda means each cylinder is firing 'evenly' as such.

One thing we did notice though is that when we unplugged the coolant temp sensor, it made no difference at all.

Do you think that could be the problem?

Checked all the sensors and everything is plugged in.

Timing seems to be OK as it starts very well, just runs really crappy when it is started. :?:

MAXIBOY
13-10-2008, 23:33
could be they tend to fail....have you a spare to test it..

cliokiz
13-10-2008, 23:39
I plugged a valver sensor in (didn't swap it, just unplugged the cable while it was running and randomly plugged in a spare valver sensor i had), but this didn't make any difference to the running of the engine.

I assume from that test that it's not the sensor then? As the engine runs just as shitty when hot as it does when cold...

MAXIBOY
13-10-2008, 23:42
no really as maybe it think's its cold so is over fuelling as it would on cold start.

put the valver sensor in a cup of boiling water and see if this makes any difference..

cliokiz
14-10-2008, 00:03
Good call, will try that tomorrow and report back.

MAXIBOY
14-10-2008, 02:09
ok..

BRUN
14-10-2008, 06:42
does it drive ?

if so take it for a run up an A road for a few mins, if its been sat for so long then that might be why, be a fair bit of damp in places id imagine, once the engine gets hot that will go

check for splits in the map sensor hose aswell

Mark One
14-10-2008, 07:52
give the map sensor hose a little blow through and see if it's a bit blocked?
Try another Map sensor as suggested?
I've had a very bad lambda sensor cause issues like this. Unplug the lambda and the ECU resets to a base map, worth a try.

cliokiz
14-10-2008, 09:43
give the map sensor hose a little blow through and see if it's a bit blocked?
Try another Map sensor as suggested?
I've had a very bad lambda sensor cause issues like this. Unplug the lambda and the ECU resets to a base map, worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I haven't tried unplugging the lambda, but i'll try that this evening and see what happens.

I tried the map sensor from my valver but it just wouldn't start with this, so i don't think they're the same, and i don't have another one to test with. Hose isn't blocked as you can hear it hissing when you unplug it from the sensor.

Cheers.

cliokiz
14-10-2008, 09:43
does it drive ?

if so take it for a run up an A road for a few mins, if its been sat for so long then that might be why, be a fair bit of damp in places id imagine, once the engine gets hot that will go

check for splits in the map sensor hose aswell

Yes it does drive, but it has no MOT, no tax, and therefore no insurance.

However, my friend drove it for half an hour back to my house using his trade plates and we let it warm up beforehand, but it's still the same.

bendee
14-10-2008, 14:40
i know what it is, it knows you got a big 2.0 in the garage and wants it inside it it also wants to br stripped and every last little bit of weight removed, then given to me as it like me more than you :P

cliokiz
14-10-2008, 15:10
lol, you like boys not cars x

bendee
14-10-2008, 18:02
only you babes xxx