PDA

View Full Version : how much power?

Brealbags
11-10-2008, 18:47
wondering how much power to expect from my valver. All i want is close as poss to 137bhp manufacturers spec.

Im rebuilding the engine with the following work;

Crank regrind to first oversize
Lightened and Balanced crank/flywheel/pulleys
New rings and shells
Skimmed and gasflowed head
De-cat
8mm Magnecor leads

The engine had done approx 100K and the bores looked in good enough condition and measured up fine. This is the first time iv done this so im not sure if it will knock my plug in with a shitty output or not

Jamie.
11-10-2008, 19:39
I would say closer to 150. Are you going to have it remapped or tuned to that specification?

spikey-ben
12-10-2008, 08:47
I dont think it would gain that much bhp but i rekon driveabilty would be vastly improved. ie rev up alot faster and pull a bit more. BHP readings are ok for pub talk but torque and drivabilty make the difference IMO.

Brealbags
12-10-2008, 10:38
yeah true its torque that you want.

They say that bhp is for top speed but its torque that will get you there faster.

Im planning on getting it chipped up after iv run it for a while and ill take it for a dyno and get some advise from there.

Jamie.
12-10-2008, 10:53
A friend of mine added a decat to his Valver and got 6bhp alone from that one mod. He had rr'd before and after. I think 150 is very realistic.

Brealbags
12-10-2008, 15:42
cooool!

number1
13-10-2008, 22:33
Clio cups have just blueprinted 1.8's? 150bhp with a free flowing exhaust and i think theres a few alterations on the air inlet and a Remap,
Im sure northy could Clear it up! i fancy Rebuilding a 1800 to a blueprinted spec for a bit of a hobby!

Hiking your torque up is what you want, something the 1.8 lacks, fit a 2ltr bottom end! ;)

Dave

Brealbags
13-10-2008, 23:23
yeah true but while i had the 1800 lump in bits i thought it would be best to stick with it.

If i did source a 2.0 bottom i would have to spend more money on that and i would have to buy a williams or megane head with the bigger valves :D

I couldnt just put the valver head on knowing that im hindering performance. it could be so much better with the bigger inlets.
Ill run it with the 1800 for a bit and maybe think about having a 2.0 build in the garage on the side :wink:

number1
14-10-2008, 22:36
mines running a ported valver head on a megane block, it was rolling roaded at 170bhp a few months ago so valves arent really an issue, i believe they bring the torque in sooner, which seems the case with mine

Dave

Brealbags
15-10-2008, 18:52
yeah iv heard the valver heads are good when ported properly. Im halfway doing mine now at work and its looking great so far.

As i say the only thing letting me down is the 1800 bottom end. Maybe ill find a nice low mileage megane or williams bottom end in the future. To be honest i just want the bloody thing running i havnt even enjoyed it properly yet. had it a year and drove it for bout 4 months with a knocking engine.

cant beat them fresh autunm days thrashing round the twisty peak district roads. I got the whole peak district pretty much in my back garden :D

number1
15-10-2008, 19:26
Off topic but stayed on holiday in buxton 3 weeks ago, roads were excellent up around there, especially the cat n fiddle ;)

Wobba
18-10-2008, 23:54
Off topic but stayed on holiday in buxton 3 weeks ago, roads were excellent up around there, especially the cat n fiddle ;)

Yea I went to a wedding enar there in the scooby yearrrrrs ago, some fine roads. Got pulled over by some policemen at 3 a.m wondering why a Southampton registered car was driving round backroads at that time of night, truth is they just wanted to see the car :D

Allan
19-10-2008, 09:34
cat and fiddle eh, most dangerous road in the uk lol :/

Has a stupid amount of deaths on it due to bikers doing silly speeds at the weekends, i do love the down hill part as you pass the cat and fiddle heading to macclesfield, scared the crap out of a mate on the way to work the other week :D

number1
19-10-2008, 12:01
The road is pretty damn ace! i didnt drive it hard as id only drove it twice and didnt know it at all, tbh it wasnt as dangerous as i thought, you wanna try some of the roads down here!
Some of the people driving i followed along it seemed to run wide on every other corner!!