PDA

View Full Version : Important: Eurocar parts tie rod end kit question

Wobba
09-10-2008, 03:21
In the track rod kit you get with ECP, you get the track rod, rod end, locking washer...BUT i need to know urgently if they come with the extra part that locks the washer in place and mates with the steering rack (a kind of large washer about 5mm thick)

The garage said they came with them, but I ckecked the boxes and didn't see any before.

In the parts they have returned to me they have one of these in the box. They messed up the track rod ends, and now I am worried they have not correctly locked the track rod, plus cocked up my tracking.

If so its very dangerous and I want to take action against them for shoddy work.

Wobba
09-10-2008, 03:29
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/valverflavour/Picture.jpg

This is eternalifes one. The bit I mean is the part on the very end of the ball joint on the far right just as the thread starts.

schakal
09-10-2008, 09:14
you can re-use that thick washer .

Wobba
09-10-2008, 09:27

Yes, I know that.

But I have a spare one here. Where did it come from?

Did it come from my steering rack? Or ECP kit? If ECP kit does not come with one, then that means I am running a car without a properly locked column, and can die horribly if it comes off.

schakal
09-10-2008, 10:07

Yes, I know that.

But I have a spare one here. Where did it come from?

Did it come from my steering rack? Or ECP kit? If ECP kit does not come with one, then that means I am running a car without a properly locked column, and can die horribly if it comes off.

you allready mentioned you are running a car without properly
locked rod ends anyway (locking washers )

did not you open the box of your ecp kit ??
even if ecp kits come with a washer you cant just
assume ,the one you bought had one or the spanner
monkey that was fitting it did not chuck it away .
unless you take the gaitors off and have a look its all
a work of guestimation . thats why most of us on here
does our own work

Wobba
09-10-2008, 10:33
Sorry, I dont quite get you. Your telling me what I already know.

For the record I did not say my locking washers were not locked, that was the purpose of this thread, to help me investigate the possibility they were not locked properly.

Been on phone for 45 minutes to ECP and they confirm the kit comes with the part I mentioned. I have now gone out to the car, taken it apart again, checked under the gaitors and they have thankfully put the part I asked about back on correcty.

The garage have rung me and offered to have it retracked for free after they fitted the ends on the wrong way.

white16valver
09-10-2008, 11:52
That is at least a goodwill gesture off them.

Wobba
09-10-2008, 12:36
That is at least a goodwill gesture off them.

Yea. The boss was very apologetic. They've given me a RIGHTEOUS 306 diesel while they check it over again and get the tracking done for me. IT HAS AIR CON! I have forgotten what it is like to drive a car that you dont need ear muffs to drive hehe.

white16valver
10-10-2008, 09:47
I don't think I like quiet cars - I have less sensation of speed and end up going too quickly when I shouldn't! lol

Wobba
10-10-2008, 09:51
I don't think I like quiet cars - I have less sensation of speed and end up going too quickly when I shouldn't! lol

I know what you mean, it's hard to tell what revs you are at etc.

Well, got car back and tbh I dont think they touched it as my tracking is still out (but miles better) and my original markings are still in exactly the same place on the rods from when I corrected their work.

Anyway, nuff said about this. I filled my socks with whining threads this week :D

white16valver
10-10-2008, 10:02
As long as you didn't pay for the latest (non-) effort then I guess you haven't lost anything.

Just damn inconvenient and a bit shocking, seeing as people rely on these sort of people to make their cars safe and not rip them off!

white16valver
10-10-2008, 10:03
Oh, and have a good weekend driving it! :D

Wobba
11-10-2008, 01:43
Well, I didnt pay for the last effort. Checked the car properly today and they had not touched the tracking at all it seems, apart from marking the rods.

So...took it all apart again. The steering lock to lock was very imbalanced, which was causing the wheel to scrub on inside splash shields. I reset steering so it it now true centre with the rack centered too. I took off the rod ends and redid them from scratch to match the new steering wheel/rack as well.

I now have a car that goes in a straight line without wandering and a correctly set steering wheel/rack and rod ends.

I am satisfied I have now corrected their errors and failure to get the job right or get the tracking done right.

Yay!

Think I will stick to my own work and have plenty of fun doing it too, and I reckon I had best start a new project thread while I am at it :D

white16valver
12-10-2008, 18:32
Good man ;) :D