PDA

View Full Version : Gear box probs on the williams

kneesparks
07-10-2008, 18:45
Hi all, iv not had the car very long but it seems to me that the box is on its way out.
It crunches in 3rd and 5th at highish revs, it also sounds like the gear box is making a clacking/rattle noise at tick over, was thinking maybe the oil is low, but if i top it up it will still have the crunching prob.
Would i be better off getting just another 2nd hand one or go down the recon rout? What sort of money would i be looking at for this? Any help would be great as i dont want this spoiling the williams experience.

MAXIBOY
07-10-2008, 18:53
could be the clutch or adjustment and a clucking might be clutch related..

as for price if getting a recon from renault you looking at between 500/600 hundered plus a new clutch 60/70 and fitting...

secondhand box will also be a high mileage unit and may not last..

kneesparks
07-10-2008, 19:54
Its not long had a clutch, it has a lil crunch in 3rd and 5th on up change and also 2nd when you are gassing it on the change down and sounds noisy when on tick over when out of gear........ think box is kaput me thinks?

franksvalver
07-10-2008, 19:59
Its not long had a clutch, it has a lil crunch in 3rd and 5th on up change and also 2nd when you are gassing it on the change down and sounds noisy when on tick over when out of gear........ think box is kaput me thinks?

Sort of a flapping noise almost?

kneesparks
07-10-2008, 21:39

Sort of a flapping noise almost?
Not really, its a sort of rattle a bit like when the big ends have gone on a engine, it also makes a noise- sort of weer but not a wine when you let off the throttle and roll slower......... not really explainin myself well but you know what i mean? :shock:

franksvalver
07-10-2008, 22:14
yea i think its your clutch release bearing?

is the clutch new you said?

I fitted a clutch recently and apparantly there was a batch of faulty release bearings so i bought another clutch kit and it was fine.

However its started to do it again after hard driving and i believe its now the clutch cable.

I would 100% try the clutch cable first as obviously its the cheaper fix. 20quid iirc

franksvalver
07-10-2008, 22:15
edit button lmao

If the clutch cable has stretched then obviously its not depressing the clutch fully so will clunk slightly

Coops
07-10-2008, 22:16
i have similar issues, no noise but it snatches into 3rd, or it did, now thats stopped and the snatch has moved to 4th and 3rd is juat hard to find on the down shift

am changing clutch cable and re-adjusting linkage first

kneesparks
07-10-2008, 22:23
Thought the clutch pedal had a self adjuster on it to take out any slack, i know this as i had some probs with it 6years ago with my last willy, the bloody spring came off the linkage and dug right into my finger trapping me in the foot well for half hour!! Oh that smarted :twisted:

Coops
07-10-2008, 22:25
it has, but if cable stretches too much it wont compensate. pedal machanism itself can be at fault also, ratchet wears out

kneesparks
07-10-2008, 22:31
Ok i'll try the cable, i may aswel get a OEM cable from Renault as i'll get no probs from that. Does anyone live anywhere close ish to me that i could show the noise to coz i dont wan2 try stuff if it turns out to be a shagged box :oops:

franksvalver
07-10-2008, 22:55
clutch cable is worth doing anyway.

its probs the only thing you can do other than remove box anywayss

Coops
08-10-2008, 10:29
i dont live near really but i'm down peterborough not this weekend but next if thats any use

Wobba
08-10-2008, 13:46
On idle, if you hear a clanking noise from box, which may dissapear with clutch pedal down, its the release bearing. Not worth taking whole box apart for till you need something more serious done.

Crunching gears...I'll elave that to the experts :D

kneesparks
08-10-2008, 21:07
i dont live near really but i'm down peterborough not this weekend but next if thats any use
Yeh that would be handy, p'boro is only 32miles from me so could pop over some time if you have a few mins to spare? I'll PM you my number m8. Scott

PC-PLOD
08-10-2008, 22:36
first sign of gearbox death had same problem a month ago idler bearing on 3rd gear lay shft does sound like release bearing but the give away is crunching gears as the shaft is floating i n box meaning gears not meshing correctly cost me a new gearbox perfect now

kneesparks
08-10-2008, 22:46
first sign of gearbox death had same problem a month ago idler bearing on 3rd gear lay shft does sound like release bearing but the give away is crunching gears as the shaft is floating i n box meaning gears not meshing correctly cost me a new gearbox perfect now
Did you get a recon unit or a 2nd hand one? What you pay if you dont mind me asking? :?:

PC-PLOD
08-10-2008, 22:52
had recon box fitted 600 supplied and fitted

kneesparks
08-10-2008, 23:10
From renault or another place?

Coops
09-10-2008, 09:21
diy job last time my box popped, rebuilt ex-cup team williams gearbox £100, fitting free as i did it :lol: :wink:

kneesparks
09-10-2008, 18:11
Any more lieing around :lol: Dont think i'll try fitting as it looks a real gangarillapigdog to fit, one garage said its a engine out job! :cry:
Prob cost more in fitting than getting the box :evil:

number1
09-10-2008, 19:28
Its not an engine out job but its not easy,

Dave

Coops
09-10-2008, 20:44
tbh if car needs any engine work like belts etc at same time its worth whippin the whole lump out, otherwise its drop subframe that side and wiggle for your life :lol: