PDA

View Full Version : Changing brake pipes (ie to braided ones)??

The Raiderman
26-06-2005, 20:01
need to do this soon as i am changing from the standard girling calipers to hi-spec 4 pots, how easy are the brake pipes to change?? the nuts look like they might take some shifting and how can i clamp the hoses or how can i stop it leaking brake fluid once i have removed the old lines as there is no rubber pipes to clamp to stop it all leaking out as its all metal piping right to the brake fluid reservoir??

if anyone has changed to braided hosing please let me know how you did it as any help would be much appreciated
jim

Lunner
26-06-2005, 20:48
I would guess you drian all the fluid out when changing them....but not sure, might be a good excuse to get some decent fuild in there rather then the std stuff

richy
26-06-2005, 21:18
tbh stick to dot 4 brake fluid, just see if theres some better stuff out there!

best thing to do is buy some brake hoses spanners to try stop u rounding them off and use plenty WD40 and a wire brush to clean all the crap off the joins,

we did mine not long ago and they cam off pretty easy, one i had to use mole grips to get it started but other then that easy job! :)

KingStromba
26-06-2005, 23:10
I got the garage to do mine. Havnt noticed fook all difference. Might swap back for originalities sake.

2 live
27-06-2005, 00:13
aye mate id drain the old stuff out, then put the flexis on...hope u got the longer ones lol

u sold ur others yet?

northy
27-06-2005, 08:33
jim. go to halfords and buy a brake hose clamp, that squeezes the rubber pipe together (pinch) so the fluid doesnt leak out, then once the new calipers are on - pumb all the old fluide through the system till u see new.

2 live
27-06-2005, 10:19
that doesnt answer his question tho mate...its the ruber flexi hes taking off and wants to know how to stop the fluid comin out while doing so

if theres no fluid in the system.it wont leak evrywhere

and i have scientific proof of that if needs be

northy
27-06-2005, 10:41
oh yer....lol never read it fully.

er. If i was doing it i'd clamp the pipe and fit one end into a jar, relase the clamp and wait for the fluid to drain out, repeat on all 4 corners.

katbloke
27-06-2005, 11:07
in my old days in a garage when we changed any flexible hose we would clamp one end then remove the end nearest caliper/ drum whatever, then connect new one to the end just removed then remove other end of hose and refit new qwikly that way minimal fluid loss compared to removing it all in one go.

matty
27-06-2005, 19:36
If they are like my union nut sthey would not budge so gave up on fitting the braided hoses.

Use some Plus Gas on them rather than WD40, let it soak in, spray some more and use proper union spanners. As to fluid leakage, would have though you would undo calipr end 1st and let run out. Some new types of Brake Fluid like millers don't like being mixed with old stuff so maybe good to drain the old stuff out completely before refilling. Apparently Millers stuff is as good as Castrol costing 2-3 times the price. And their engine and gearbox oils are god so no doubt so is their brake fluid.

I'm going for new calipers when I can work out which Wilwood ones to go for and where from.

richy
27-06-2005, 20:58
I got the garage to do mine. Havnt noticed fook all difference. Might swap back for originalities sake.

from what i heard u wouldnt notice u drive like a pansey? :wink:

The Raiderman
28-06-2005, 07:52
ok cheers lads iwill let you all know how i get on

northy
28-06-2005, 08:04
If they are like my union nut sthey would not budge so gave up on fitting the braided hoses.

Use some Plus Gas on them rather than WD40, let it soak in, spray some more and use proper union spanners. As to fluid leakage, would have though you would undo calipr end 1st and let run out. Some new types of Brake Fluid like millers don't like being mixed with old stuff so maybe good to drain the old stuff out completely before refilling. Apparently Millers stuff is as good as Castrol costing 2-3 times the price. And their engine and gearbox oils are god so no doubt so is their brake fluid.

I'm going for new calipers when I can work out which Wilwood ones to go for and where from.

Mark Ritchspeed is our club suplier Matt. Check the links page for his details. www.ritchspeed-imports.com