PDA

View Full Version : Balljoint / Pinchbolt trouble.

Swervin_Mervin
05-10-2008, 22:39
Started today on the removal of the subframe which needs to be swapped for a straight one.

Got loads done and were ready to start unbolting the frame. Went swimmingly with no trouble undoing the front or rear bolts. Cages are fine and everything.

Then the trouble began! Unbolted the nuts off the ends of the pinch bolts for the balljoints and couldn't get the bolts out. Tried twatting the hell out of them and they're stuck fast.

In the end we re-tightened the subframe bolts and dropped the car back down leaving the pinchbolts soaking.

Are we missing a trick/being thick or what?

16v_paddy
05-10-2008, 22:49
If you're on about the wishbone ball joints, undo the 2 nuts & bolts to remove the balljoint from the wishbone

then you can take the hub off to get some more room & better leverage to be able to twat the pinch bolt out, I had to do that when changing my wishbones

hope that helps

Justin..
05-10-2008, 23:04
as paddy said really, i've never had problems with pinch bolts but if i did have i'd just undo the 2 on the wishbone!

Swervin_Mervin
05-10-2008, 23:19
It's just a load of extra hassle to have to undo those, then the caliper and then the strut to then still have to get teh feckers out.

slippy
05-10-2008, 23:35
May sound obvious mate but if you can use a longer bar or a something like a pipe to give you more leverage they will budge

Justin..
05-10-2008, 23:40
i think he's got the nut off its just stuck in the hole

slippy
05-10-2008, 23:41
Aghh right :oops:

Wobba
05-10-2008, 23:42
Hmm. Often the balljoint gets stuck in the swivel hub pinch bolt.

A universal balljoint splitter can be used but they can be a pain as there isn't much room, plus you have to keep wedgeing the thing in and out. You can very carefully jack the brake disc up and keep working at the balljoint, get the bolt out, stick screwdriver in the gap in the pinch bolt and work it back and forth with the disk/hub jacked up and it will pop out eventually. Retrieve the little plastic balljoint shield thingy dont forget.

I guess you are renewing the wishbones? If so you have no fear of beating crap out of the joint itself. If you are not replacing it then be careful not to split the balljoint rubber cover!

16v_paddy
05-10-2008, 23:44
either way, remove the ball joint off the wish bone and come back to the pinch bolt later as you've still got a lot more work to do any way (by the sound of it)

Swervin_Mervin
06-10-2008, 00:00
Got new balljoints/wishbones so I couldn't give a monkeys about giving them death.

Got teh nut off yeah, just can't budge the bolt. Might blowtorch the feckers.

Justin..
06-10-2008, 00:01
does the bolt turn? if it does, try tapping it with a hammer while undoing it

Swervin_Mervin
06-10-2008, 00:09
Nope. Both are stuck fast. Almost look like they've become one with the hub. Tried to whack a roof-tiling tool in between the bolt head and hub, that's got chiselled ends, but nada.

Might try the trusty old torque gun.

stevie_b
06-10-2008, 08:41
Balljoint splitter will do it no problem - those things can put serious pressure on the joint. I've got a Sykes-Pickavant one, from Halfords I think, which is very robust.

Wobba
06-10-2008, 11:54
It could be someone has used a different bolt than before. Normally, they are only threaded on the end, the middle is just plain surfaced.

I would get a deep socket 16mm on the bolt head, and on the handle of the ratchet get a long pipe and turn it too loosen. Once it is spinning you can surely bash the bolt out. Get some penetrating fluid on it too. Mine were hard to get off but I did it fast as I am used to shitty bolts on Renaults now...

Swervin_Mervin
06-10-2008, 13:16
It could be someone has used a different bolt than before. Normally, they are only threaded on the end, the middle is just plain surfaced.

I would get a deep socket 16mm on the bolt head, and on the handle of the ratchet get a long pipe and turn it too loosen. Once it is spinning you can surely bash the bolt out. Get some penetrating fluid on it too. Mine were hard to get off but I did it fast as I am used to shitty bolts on Renaults now...

Already tried it fella and it started to strip the bolt head so I stopped sharpish!

Might just get a splitter. Although every night this week I'll add penetrating fluid and also give it some death with a hammer.

slippy
06-10-2008, 13:25
penetrating fluid.

I use that on our lass, it's called Red Wine :lol:

Chris H
06-10-2008, 13:47
what use will a ball joint splitter be when the bolts still in the hub? Thats right no use whatsoever. Its a bit like someone now saying Hitler was a bad egg. Totally pointless.

Anyway, get it up in the air, turn the wheels then get a chisel and chap it into the split, this will open up the split and free the bolt off. Then belt the bolt out.

If no go still then the hot spanner will sort it

Swervin_Mervin
06-10-2008, 13:58
Anyway, get it up in the air, turn the wheels then get a chisel and chap it into the split, this will open up the split and free the bolt off. Then belt the bolt out.

If no go still then the hot spanner will sort it

This is one of the routes we were trying Chris. Driving a chisel shaped roofing tool into the split. Any ideas on what sort of gap the split would be at to allow the bolt to slide out?

I'm sure it's the head of the bolt that's causing the problem so heat sounds like a good idea.

Chris H
06-10-2008, 14:04
just get in there and belt it, it will open up, when it does you'll see the hub move over the threads. WHen that happens it means at least 1 side is free.

Open it up and this will take off a load on the bolt, if its still solid try tightening the bolt, I assume its only starting to round as you have been undoing it.

It will come you just need to work at it. If you have heat then all the better, if its a blowtorch then its limited help, if its burning gear get the bolt head cherry red, it'll go then

Allan
06-10-2008, 16:51
Little tip for you, if youlift the hub up so its not sitting on the pinch bolt it will come out very easily.

Also goes the same for when you are refitting the hubs if you ever take them off, when they are all the way down you cant put the pinch bolt in, lift it a few mm and it will side in easy (or out in this case).

also i they wont budge get a big hammer and a punch :D

diathermy
16-06-2010, 15:14
I am having problems with the pinch bolt.

Got frustrated and took a grinder to it. bad idea.

Cut the nut off, still wont budge.

Annoying this is, realising this was the wrong approach, on the other side, I applied some heat and it came ot fairly easily.

Now, On the other side I am left with the pinch bolt it, but will not budge. Trided hitting with a punch, tried heating, sworn a lot, still will not budge.
car has been on axle stands for weeks now and I just want it done!

I have tried drilling it a bit, but thats no use as I am just eating through drill bits.

any advice.......even though about buying a new knuckle, but that 230 pounds from renault!

Think I will take off the hub and and knuckle as I need to have driveshaft out anyway. Will try and get it out on the bench.

May attack it again with the hammer one last time tonight though!

Any ideas much appreciated.

Would put pics up, but am embarrassed to show what a mess i have got myself in!

cliokiz
18-06-2010, 12:02
Just get a new hub from Mat Brown

Coops
18-06-2010, 12:37
as above, mat will have a spare hub kicking about for 20 squid or so i'd guess ;-)

schakal
18-06-2010, 12:55
I am having problems with the pinch bolt.

Got frustrated and took a grinder to it. bad idea.

Cut the nut off, still wont budge.

Annoying this is, realising this was the wrong approach, on the other side, I applied some heat and it came ot fairly easily.

Now, On the other side I am left with the pinch bolt it, but will not budge. Trided hitting with a punch, tried heating, sworn a lot, still will not budge.
car has been on axle stands for weeks now and I just want it done!

I have tried drilling it a bit, but thats no use as I am just eating through drill bits.

any advice.......even though about buying a new knuckle, but that 230 pounds from renault!

Think I will take off the hub and and knuckle as I need to have driveshaft out anyway. Will try and get it out on the bench.

May attack it again with the hammer one last time tonight though!

Any ideas much appreciated.

Would put pics up, but am embarrassed to show what a mess i have got myself in!

the only thing holding the pinch bolt there is the ball joint itself.
hit the ball joint from different directions to budge than tap
the remains of the bolt with a screw driver and hammer again .