PDA

View Full Version : Retarded question about engine rebuilding.....

Jamie.
03-10-2008, 17:19
Those of you who have rebuilt your engines what storage facilities did you need?

I.e. did you do it in a garage? Your garden? Your kitchen (2live)?

If I did not have a garage or shed I take it it would NEED to be inside?

Justin..
03-10-2008, 17:27
ideally yeah, doesnt give surface rust sich a big chance to start.

Jamie.
03-10-2008, 17:32
So considering I do not have a shed or garage I am a bit ****ed as the wife isn't going to allow me to have an engine in the kitchen?

Justin..
03-10-2008, 17:45
do you not have any friends then?

Jamie.
03-10-2008, 17:50
What do you mean?

Mates I can store an engine in whilst rebuilding?

Well, I never thought to ask someone really as I don't think thats a feasible suggestion.

Alot of my mates either live at home or are in the same position as me..... They have recently bought but do not have a gargae.

Rich
03-10-2008, 18:01
inside is a must to be able to rebuild an engine in britain i'm afraid! need i ask why you need to rebuild if its your current engine? whats wrong with it?

Jamie.
03-10-2008, 18:11
well its the head i need to rebuild not the b/e

Just very tappety.

B/e is fine.... Good pressures so i am happy with that.

I think the manifold is blowing so will end up eventually getting a new gasket and potentially mani dependent on the cracks.

The cambelt also sounds rattley not sure what that is tbh.....

I also need some tlc on the rear i.e. new bushes or something to stop it rattling.

Brealbags
03-10-2008, 18:42
if your just taking the head off the rest of the engine can be kept in the car with the bonnet on so bonus. although when i wanted to take the head off mine i found its easier just to take the engine out

plus i found a nasty surprise which was that the tapping i was hearing was my crank been shot to pieces... benefited hugely from a full rebuild. Also you dont want any extra power you get from a top end rebuild to put too much pressure on the bottom.

depends how long its going to take you. if your confident and have all the bits and tools ready you can do it outside and get the head and sump back on to protect the internals. coatings of oil will also protect from rust.

woah iv banged on for ages sorry boot dat.

Jamie.
03-10-2008, 19:58
Hopefully I am buying a new car tomorrow so the Williams can sit on the drive for a bit while I replcae a few things.

Or ultimatley if I get fed up I suppose I can break it up....

Tommo
03-10-2008, 20:58
Get someone else to do it.... :D

Had my top end rebuilt about 2 years ago, cost a bit but worth it imo, the engine has been rattle free since and runs sweet...!!

Also, if you don't end up rebuilding it then get the cambelt done ASAP, mine was rattling (same as yours) and ended up buggering the top end (hence the rebuild)

Jamie.
03-10-2008, 21:21
Need to go for a pint Tommo, still not seen your car.

When you free?

speed
03-10-2008, 22:34
buy a shed :D

MAXIBOY
04-10-2008, 02:14
built mine in the cellar was a twat to get out..

but get an engine stand and do it in the house...

Purple
04-10-2008, 03:42
If you have a spot to park it, renting an 8-ft container to store the engine might work for you.

http://www.mrbox.co.uk/prices.html

number1
04-10-2008, 23:35
Im in the same predicament, need a place so i can give the motor a full rebuild next year, Bugger all wrong now tbh, but going for more power and years of trouble free motoring, Hopefully me and a workmate may have found a project lockup :D

Dave

Tommo
05-10-2008, 10:49
Need to go for a pint Tommo, still not seen your car.

When you free?

PM'd you mate

Chris H
06-10-2008, 14:08
buy a shed :D

I concur with this fellow, after you do your engien you have somewhere to store crap

Matty86
06-10-2008, 16:16
rent a garage?

mine costs peanuts really..

alex_e3
06-10-2008, 20:15
How long a time would you be planning to do this over Jamie?

Just i'm only down the road from you in Wrexham, and i have a unit which my hybrid is in at the moment. Have room for another car, but possibly taking some spray work on soon - so would have to be done sharpish if you brought the whole car down if you wanted?

Let me know mate and we can sort something out.........

Jamie.
06-10-2008, 20:29
I dont know a thing about engine building so i would be at it for an age.

Is a kind offer though.

Was in wrexham tonght and saw a williams/16v parked up. Had a bit of rot on the rear arch....

WOuld be interested to pop along and see you spraying tbh.

alex_e3
06-10-2008, 20:35
When you looking at doing it though mate, and we could sort something out to blast it over a weekend or maybe 2. It'll give me an excuse to work on the hybrid :roll: !!!! & have changed engines and done h/g on these before myself, so should be able to help you with advice!

To be honest i mainly do the prep, and the old man does the final finishing - one day hope to be as good as him! However, wondering if there's much point in getting better, as 2 pack paint is on the way out......

Dunno whos valver/willy you saw - there's only 1 willy i know of round mine, and it was bought off someone on here. Number 70 something and it's mint! Up for sale again believe though :o Have seen a few valvers over time in wrexham, but no really nice or modded ones have caught my eye. At least mine will have no rusty arches when it's done! The mrs has robbed my naples valver for now though - to go on holiday to scotland!!! Luckily i'm following tomorrow night!

Jamie.
06-10-2008, 20:39
If you would be happy to help me do it to a large extent that would be ideal......

As for time scale I am currently doing some exams/study and I wont have time until they finish which will be December.

I would also need to save a bit of money for the parts so an ideal time for me would be Feb time tbh.

Also, my 172 has a scratch on it.... Could you sort that out for me? Obv for a cost...

alex_e3
06-10-2008, 20:55
Feb sounds do-able mate. Get in touch nearer the time and we should hopefully be able to sort something! I'm sure my hybrid project will still be in there by then........ :roll:

Erm....... would have to look at it first mate. We're quite picky of jobs to be honest - some cars turn out to be a nightmare purely on the basis of getting a proper colour match! We'll have a look nearer the time, and see where we can go from there mate......

Jamie.
06-10-2008, 21:01
Ideal mate.

Smokey McPot
07-10-2008, 12:26
So considering I do not have a shed or garage I am a bit f**ked as the wife isn't going to allow me to have an engine in the kitchen?

I think you need to learn your wife a thing or two :) ;)