PDA

View Full Version : Towing on a solid bar

rochdale_williams
02-10-2008, 19:17
What are the laws on these? Am going York dragway on the 12th for the last RWYB this year and haven't had time to do the Valvers MOT and the tax is out. Was just gonna drag it there on the solid bar as am poor with no trailer. Can this be done? (legally)

Rich
02-10-2008, 19:48
no because the valver will still be being towed on the public highway with all its wheels in contact with the floor so it needs to be taxed and tested i'm afraid (has to have all 4 wheels off the highway for it to be legal)

rochdale_williams
02-10-2008, 22:25
Balls. Look's like i need to get a tow bar on the focus pretty sharpish. Are a frame's legal for towing then?

speed
03-10-2008, 06:33
yes because the cars still on the road, you need a full trailer to tow it.

Rich
03-10-2008, 14:27
Are a frame's legal for towing then?

nope, not unless taxed and tested. Trailer only for your car im afraid

Taylor
03-10-2008, 14:44
Are a frame's legal for towing then?

nope, not unless taxed and tested. Trailer only for your car im afraid

im not sure of this.. we towed a nova to france and back on a A frame and that certainly didnt have any sort of MOT and was never going to get one

we got stoped by the police at dover and all fulled into them search sheds to check over our vehicles (SPL audio cars) they didnt mention anything about the A frame

Rich
03-10-2008, 16:12
did it have tax though? if it had neither i'm very surprised they didnt ask questions

stevie_b
03-10-2008, 17:08
Towing on a rope/bar/A-frame would be seen as the vehicle being kept or used on a public road. If it was a race car that had never been road registered then I'm not sure what the penalty is but ironically I would think it is a lot less than for a vehicle which is road registered and so has probably been SORNed where you could be charged with fraudulently declaring SORN and fined up to £5000 and/or imprisoned for 2 years!

rochdale_williams
03-10-2008, 18:37
All sorted, got a tow bar on my Focus today and have borrowed a trailer for next weekend. Need to stay legal really, can't afford anymore points or fines. Cheers guys

stevie_b
03-10-2008, 19:53
I doubt anyone would pick you up on it but just so that you are aware you might still be illegal with it on a trailer with that as a towcar. Even a smallish trailer that could take the load of a Clio probably weighs around 300kg. With the Clio on the back (another 980kg) you might be above the permitted legal towing limit for the Focus (should be in your handbook - it is only 1200kg on most models I think). You'll certainly be above the 85% towing load to car weight ratio that all trailer makers would recommend to avoid handling issues so take it very cautiously! Did you get your licence long enough ago that it already has category E entitlement on it as you might need that too if the trailer you borrow can carry the weight of the Focus?

rochdale_williams
04-10-2008, 14:07
Yeah i passed before all the changes came in. Can do caravans (god forbid) and all other nice little extra's. Have made it as legal as possible so will just have to go for it

gazz81
04-10-2008, 19:17
towed a clio I bought last night, with no tax or mot past a traffic cop and he wasnt remotely interested. As far as I was aware aslong as its on a solid bar then it doesnt have to be taxed and tested.

franksvalver
05-10-2008, 14:13
I recon on an a frame you can get away with it if you have a set of trailer lights on the arse of the clio/car being towed

Literally be like towing a trailer then