PDA

View Full Version : Core plug leak

Wobba
30-09-2008, 22:13
I knew I had a minor coolant leak. It started just after I fitted and sealed up my new water pump which was leaking badly.

All was fine then I noticed a few drops each day on the floor. I suspected it could be core plug or oil cooler hoses or bottom of thermo housing.

Took air filter housing off and found the a big cor plug that looks deteriorated looking damp and leaking.

In this pic it's just above the flywheel/gearbox:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSC008842.jpg

Here is a closeup:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSC008831.jpg

It's partially covered by the flywheel. but there is a recess I think I can use to take it out and replace a new one.

Anyone had this before and if so, what's the best method here?

Shame as I have only recently put new type d coolant in :(

Chris H
01-10-2008, 09:58
you might get extra lucky and be able to get it out through the gap but tbh I'd factor in having to pull the box off.

Other option is clean it up as best you can and chemical metal the mofo.

white16valver
01-10-2008, 11:19
*dumb question alert*

What does the Core Plug do? :oops:

LEIGH-ANNE
01-10-2008, 13:39
*dumb question alert*

What does the Core Plug do? :oops:

They protect the block against freeze damage. If the coolant does not have enough antifreeze protection it can freeze. They are supposed to pop out under such conditions to relieve pressure.

8) :roll: :wink:

16v_paddy
01-10-2008, 13:42
Even I didn't know that :oops:

white16valver
01-10-2008, 15:50
lol

That's quite a cool invention :) 8)

Presumably you only realised it's popped out when you try to start and realise that all your coolant is on the floor underneath it lol

LEIGH-ANNE
01-10-2008, 16:52
You will need to drain the water from the radiator. Make a slot in the plug with a sharp instrument (prob sideways on! Dont do it head on - or at least be careful cos if it gets pushes further through it WILL be stuck there!) Twist slowly and lever out. This will take a while dan cos of the cramp conditions so just have patients with it. Good luck with giving the hammer a good swing in the bay when making the slot to lever it out...

Would be an idea to get a brass replacement or a expandable rubber plugs are available too.

Might be worth putting some type of sealant around it too. Give it a good clean before fitting the new one. And bob might be ur uncle...... :wink:

Ps. Make sure the new one is hit 'straight' into place and not willy wonky :D

Chris H
01-10-2008, 16:57
The core plug is there to allow the sand from casting to leave, no other reason.

A rubber bung in place fo the core plug? I think not, pressures inside the water jacket in the block are up around 40 PSI.

dink the bottom of it with the screwdriver and hammer it will rotate then pull it out with grips.

getting it back in will be rather tricky though

LEIGH-ANNE
01-10-2008, 17:03
i knew id be wrong :roll:

Renault parts numbers :

26mm (on the head) - 7703075217
2 either side (on the block) - 7703075143

Range between £1 and £3. They have to be ordered in. Yes i did try ordering them all in but being 5pm they couldnt put order in or sumthing

Wobba
01-10-2008, 17:24
Awesome guys! I shall try and do it one day, but for now I dont wanna be swimming in coolant since I just put the damn stuff in!