PDA

View Full Version : Tracking and new stuff.

Wobba
30-09-2008, 19:11
Okay, as most of you will know from my latest whining session about the polybushes (which I managed to fit finally, along with new wishbones), I have some new parts on the car.

Previously there was a tracking issue with the steering wheel aiming very slightly right, and feeling a bit soft turning right, whereas left felt solid and meatier.

Now, with new Polybushes and wishbones/balljoints, the problem seems to have emphasised itself, with the steering wheel aiming a fair bit more over to the right and feeling soggier to steer right and fine turning left.

Now it sould be a couple of things:

1. The new parts are revealing just how shit my tracking was, and the old parts masked the problem as they were worn anyway.

2. The new parts are slightly out causing it to be even worse.

Which comment would you agree with more?

I have new track rods and ends to go on shortly, and a welded column. I need the car sorted asap but am unsure of the length of time the rods will take as I have never done them before and, as usual, access looks poor.

Also: I had the ARB arm off completely at one point. How exact does the ARB bar need to be to ensure no problems occur like poor balancing? I think mine is maybe 0.5cm further to the left than right, and would it settle itself with driving over a period of time?

I will do the track arms and column and get it tracked as soon as I can but want to know if it could be anything else before I spend money on tracking only to find it wasn't that.

Thanks guys.

Justin..
30-09-2008, 19:25
imo it will emphasise the tracking to be out, as new items will put every thing sqruare and true, where as all the old stuff will have worn making the tracking seem less wrong than it actually is

Wobba
30-09-2008, 20:23
Right ok. Well, I need the track rods and ends done, and pop welded column on then I'll get it tracked up. Not sure how hard the whole inner track rods are to do...or how long it will take. If I put it on full lock I think I could get better access the the rack ends...

Time will tell I guess.

Coops
01-10-2008, 00:50
as said, wouldnt worry yet mate, crack on and finish the other bits, then track it and see, if its still floppy, worry then :wink:

LEIGH-ANNE
01-10-2008, 01:28
as said, wouldnt worry yet mate, crack on and finish the other bits, then track it and see, if its still floppy, worry then :wink:

Going to ignore comment!

Yea coops is rite, concentrate on just on set of things first. U have bin doing a lot on the car recently... And as stressful as it can be wen things happen to go right!

talkingfish
01-10-2008, 08:53
somebody else has got a floppy Willy too....

Coops
01-10-2008, 09:22

Going to ignore comment!

oooo naughty girl :twisted:

Chris H
01-10-2008, 10:02
what about option 3. the cars bent or the subframe and rear axle are not bolted up in your favour.

Go measure gaps, the gap between the wheel and sills either side etc. They should match, often they don't.]

If its all gravy then get the tracking sorted. Look at the wheels from the front you should be able to tell if its out, even if its out a wee bit you'll notice it a lot in the angle of the wheel.

LEIGH-ANNE
01-10-2008, 14:07
somebody else has got a floppy Willy too....

Not u as well....

Going to ignore comment!

oooo naughty girl :twisted:

:hug: :wink:

Wobba
01-10-2008, 14:25
what about option 3. the cars bent or the subframe and rear axle are not bolted up in your favour.

Go measure gaps, the gap between the wheel and sills either side etc. They should match, often they don't.]

If its all gravy then get the tracking sorted. Look at the wheels from the front you should be able to tell if its out, even if its out a wee bit you'll notice it a lot in the angle of the wheel.

Cant bear to think of more work right now! Gonna do new bits then tracking and pray.

Smudger
01-10-2008, 15:39
Wobba, i have a similar problem to yours when it comes to turn-in bing different left and right. I have also noticed that the drivers side wheels is running slighter more negative camber (running standard set up)

Im currently in the process of buying all new suspension parts so im hoping its just the bushes that have worn on the wishbone.

another thing my car does though is generate a vibration when turning left and accelerating :?

Wobba
01-10-2008, 17:06
At one stage I have to jack the wishbone right up and at one point I heard a loud clonk. I think it was the ARB being forced into position under the wishbone here I wanted it but I am wondering if it could be one of the strut top mount parts slipping out of place, like the circlip. I will be renewing the struts and shocks (may go KW or H&R coilies instead of OE) anyway in a month, but may take a gander before then too.