PDA

View Full Version : Valver not starting.

Dan_mk1
26-06-2005, 10:19
After sitting for around 3 months, fitted the new downpipe + lambda yesterday. Went to start it and its like the immobiliser is still armed, turn the key and nothing happens.
Wierd thing is, a few days ago it was starting fine, when I was fitting the downpipe yesterday, there were a few sparks coming off the framework when trying to fit it, could that have shorted anything?! WTF do i do?! :? :x

J o n
26-06-2005, 10:30
when you turn the key can you hear the fuel pump come on?

Dan_mk1
26-06-2005, 10:35
Is it like a whurring noise?

*sorry, not very technical, lol

VIPERONE
26-06-2005, 10:40
yes mate its like a whining when you turn your key..

unplug your battery for ten min and reconnect...

check all earths are ok... emery cloth the earths....

no whining?? check the fuses.. there is an extra fuel pump fuse int he engine bay area... there is a black carrier adjacent to the near side strut, look inside there for the fuse..

make sure immobiliser and alarms have not kicked in.

make sure all connections are fine...

make sure HT leads are on...

go do that and ome back....

Dan_mk1
26-06-2005, 10:58
Yeah it wines, its exactly as though the immobiliser hasnt disarmed

Is there a way to disarm the immobiliser? is it the one under the dash? tried it yesterday but to no avail.

VIPERONE
26-06-2005, 11:14
do you have to open you doors with key, or is the IR key still working>?>

if the ir fob isnt working... take the ir receiver out and clean the circuit board of corrosion...the reinstall it should work then.

reset ecu by taling batt off for 10 mins, it sounds like something silly... like a lead not connected... try connecting your old lambda...

Dan_mk1
26-06-2005, 11:47
It locks/unlocks fine as usual, ill try resetting the ecu again but I dont think it will work, im just a bit baffled by the **** off sparks! lol

VIPERONE
26-06-2005, 11:50
are all the leads back on correctly??? and earthed! it sounds like something silly!!

take the ht lead off and see it is sparking on turn over

Lunner
26-06-2005, 13:37
The spraks sound like a dodgy earth, or smoethign shorting out on teh body

Andyvalver
26-06-2005, 14:01
After sitting for around 3 months, fitted the new downpipe + lambda yesterday. Went to start it and its like the immobiliser is still armed, turn the key and nothing happens.

When you say nothing happens does that mean it dont even try to start? When the immobilser is armed the car does fire up for a second then it cuts it.

VIPERONE
26-06-2005, 14:39
put a jump lead on your your negative on battery and then put the other side on the head somewhere... that may determin a bad earth

Andyvalver
26-06-2005, 14:41
put a jump lead on your positive on the battery and then put the other side on your head somewhere... that may determin a bad earth

:shock:

Dan_mk1
26-06-2005, 22:56

When you say nothing happens does that mean it dont even try to start? When the immobilser is armed the car does fire up for a second then it cuts it.

My immob has never done that, it just wont let you start the car if you havnt put the immob key in it. Doesnt even try to start, cheers for the help tho lads, gonna give a few things ago tomorrow.

Dan_mk1
28-06-2005, 21:10
The car is now running 8)

BUT, it only started when i applied a volt meter + to the starter motor + lead. WTF is that about?! Anyone heard of that before? know how to sort it? Will be seriously grateful if anyone does,

The person to sort it gets a hug and a mars bar :D

VIPERONE
28-06-2005, 23:21
bad earth... like i said use the jump lead trick.. conect it to the nagative trminal on the battery and the other end on the gearbox..

emery cloth all the earth connections to the body work.. you need to check the earth at 5th gear on the gear box is still present (should be a braid)

also check starter motor wiring