PDA

View Full Version : over heating

neil_w03
26-09-2008, 17:35
ok ive read around and im no wiser lol - could do with a bit of help please.

ive just got a williams and when im driving around car sits mid range temps comfortably, but as soon as im in traffic it gets really hot, ive never heard the fan kick in (ive always turned it off befroe it got to top line to let t cool off though). could something be broken or do i need one of these low temp stats that everyone is talking about. also if i do how hard are they to fit? ive seen this on
http://www.cgbmotorsport.net/radiator-fan-switch-low-temp-154-p.asp
would this do? are they easy to fit?

thanks - neil :? :? :?

busterhymes
26-09-2008, 17:49
hi m8 the switch looks like a good idea but as you have never heard the fan running you would need to confirm that the fan is ok and working cos whatever switch you fit if fan isnt working it will still overheat all you need to do is disconnect the multi plug from temp switch to fan then with ignition on bridge the terminals in plug and fan should run just be careful you dont touch any bare metal and earth it

neil_w03
26-09-2008, 19:08
thanks mate, i dont really understand a word of that unfortnetly lol. im useless with mechanics. ill take it down to the garage and get him to test the fan, if thats ok then ill get one of these switches. where abouts do they go mate?

cheers

busterhymes
26-09-2008, 19:09
only in doncaster could maybe pop thru if that helps :)

neil_w03
26-09-2008, 19:14
thath would be great mate, its a bit of a pain this car though, originally used to b a 1.4 lol, so loads of dif bits, hard to get my head round lol

busterhymes
26-09-2008, 19:21
pm'd

Purple
27-09-2008, 00:26
The fan should activate when the water temperature needle goes past halfway on the dial. But it it does not, try this:

With the water temperature needle past the halfway mark, switch off the engine completely. Does the fan activate now? If it does, its the radiator fan switch failure or the wiring leading up to the fan switch. If it does not activate, the problem is most likely with the radiator fan fuse or the fan itself or the wiring leading to the fan.