PDA

View Full Version : rev counter showing 1500rpm at stand still

andreas395
23-09-2008, 22:51
rev counter showing 1500rpm at stand still but when i press my window switch it moves down to 900 which should be and when let go it goes back up :? anyone had this problem it does not sound like its over reving ether

MAXIBOY
23-09-2008, 23:02
there know to go faulty but check your earths..

and does the engine note drop or just the rev counter

andreas395
23-09-2008, 23:04
there know to go faulty but check your earths..

and does the engine note drop or just the rev counter

just the rev counter mate where are the main earths this car is new to me only had it a month

MAXIBOY
23-09-2008, 23:06
theres a few behind the dash mate drivers side...they all connect up on a single point iirc...

gauges tend to go often

andreas395
23-09-2008, 23:09
theres a few behind the dash mate drivers side...they all connect up on a single point iirc...

gauges tend to go often

ok mate will try that do you know where i can get a mannel for the williams cant find one anywhere 8)

MAXIBOY
23-09-2008, 23:11
you won't need a clio one as there similar in a lot of cases...

others specs can be found on here i think

anything else just ask....

andreas395
23-09-2008, 23:30
you won't need a clio one as there similar in a lot of cases...

others specs can be found on here i think

anything else just ask....

ok thanks for your help 8)

Wobba
24-09-2008, 00:00
Almost defo bad earths behind dash.

andreas395
24-09-2008, 17:13
Almost defo bad earths behind dash.
how do i fix this problem i have got the top bit of the dash off how do i take the rev counter out to have a look need help thanks

Coops
24-09-2008, 17:14
clocks are held in with 2 torx screws at the top,easily visible with top dash off, and 2 morwe underneath, remove lower steering wheel cowling etc and undo them from gap behind, may need a torch to locate them

andreas395
24-09-2008, 17:20
clocks are held in with 2 torx screws at the top,easily visible with top dash off, and 2 morwe underneath, remove lower steering wheel cowling etc and undo them from gap behind, may need a torch to locate them

ok thanks how do i check for a bad earth not to good on electric side of things

Coops
24-09-2008, 17:21
anywhere u find a black wire behind there, check its mounting to chassis is solid and rust free

road speed sensor at top of speedo cable is a renound one aswell, clip the black wire on the speedo cable side of the multiplug there and re-earth it to the dash metalwork 8)

andreas395
24-09-2008, 17:24
anywhere u find a black wire behind there, check its mounting to chassis is solid and rust free

road speed sensor at top of speedo cable is a renound one aswell, clip the black wire on the speedo cable side of the multiplug there and re-earth it to the dash metalwork 8)

thanks mate ill give it a go now and get back thanks for the info 8)

andreas395
24-09-2008, 17:48

thanks mate ill give it a go now and get back thanks for the info 8)

still dont know what to do, do you mean cut the thin black wire next to the speedo cable and re earth it some where else :?

MAXIBOY
24-09-2008, 18:36
thats just the road speed sensor one there also a dash clock one..trace them to were they earth and check the earthing point and maybe clean up with a little course emery cloth then cover with a little vaseline to re-protect from corrosion..

andreas395
24-09-2008, 19:48
thats just the road speed sensor one there also a dash clock one..trace them to were they earth and check the earthing point and maybe clean up with a little course emery cloth then cover with a little vaseline to re-protect from corrosion..

ok will try that tomo morning cat see **** all now thanks

andreas395
06-10-2008, 19:07
still couldnt sort it just relised aswell when i press the switch it drains a little power the lights dim a bit could it still be a bad earth im shite with electrics can fit a car stereo but thats it please help 8)

number1
06-10-2008, 22:44
the 2 torx's underneath are a right pain! leave them out when you refit the clocks, weight saving n that ;)

andreas395
08-10-2008, 09:55
still couldnt sort it just relised aswell when i press the switch it drains a little power the lights dim a bit could it still be a bad earth im shite with electrics can fit a car stereo but thats it please help 8)

anyone please help :(

Wobba
08-10-2008, 13:50
Suggest at this stage you go buy a Haynes manual and look up the section on removing stuff to get the the wiring underneath.

There are many people here who have posted pics of under the dash stuff, have a look at em and start figuring it out.

andreas395
08-10-2008, 18:34
Suggest at this stage you go buy a Haynes manual and look up the section on removing stuff to get the the wiring underneath.

There are many people here who have posted pics of under the dash stuff, have a look at em and start figuring it out.

cant find a Haynes manual for my williams tried :?

andreas395
08-10-2008, 19:04

i did get everything removed and got to the wiring but did not know where the earth point are

Wobba
09-10-2008, 02:23
They should be black wires. You dont need to cut them, you just have to find where they terminate. It should be bolted down by a small nut, take this and any washer off and give them and the surfacing a scrub with a small wire brush, then refit.

Check the whole area while you are there for loose wiring etc.

If it is not earths causing the high revs I personally would look for air leaks in the vacuum piping and around the inlet manifold/gasket area.

Failing that, try another ECU.

It's probably bad earth though.

If you do some simple reasearch on how to earth something, it will explain the concept and you could test it by running a seperate earth cable you make yourself and attach it to an earthing point etc etc and see if it still happens.

n9kie
03-01-2011, 23:23
sorry to bring up another old post but did you ever get to the bottom of this??