PDA

View Full Version : Coolant change the proper way...

Daz.
17-09-2008, 17:59
How? lol :lol:

Everytime I do it theres always some of the old stuff in the system when I could swear I got it all out!

I've got nice lovely type d to go in and I don't want it mixing with any remains in the system.

I don't need to flush it as the rads new theres no shit in the system I just need to get all fluid out before the new stuff goes in!

Justin..
17-09-2008, 18:08
dunno how you get it all out, i'd just disconnect both rad hoses and give it a good flush with the hose

white16valver
17-09-2008, 18:16
Could you warm the car up so the thermostat is wide open, get a hosepipe, disconnect both input and output pipes to the coolant tank, then stick the hosepipe in one of them and run it till it comes out of the other one clear?

I'd drop the coolant out of the rad first though and perhaps flush that separately as if the thermostat closes when you run cold water through it it won't actually get in there from the header tank feeds... lol

Daz.
17-09-2008, 18:19
Could you warm the car up so the thermostat is wide open, get a hosepipe, disconnect both input and output pipes to the coolant tank, then stick the hosepipe in one of them and run it till it comes out of the other one clear?

I'd drop the coolant out of the rad first though and perhaps flush that separately as if the thermostat closes when you run cold water through it it won't actually get in there from the header tank feeds... lol

Thats exactly how I did and job done or so I thought but after a few days the old blue came from nowhere and mixed with the new temp pink to create some new found colour :lol:

What does pink, green and blue make? :oops:

eternalife
17-09-2008, 18:35
I would do a proper flush by disconnecting both rad hoses. and taking the rad out.
The lower rad hose can be a bit of a pain - but removing bonnet / bumper does give way to a number of routes to undo.

Flushing the system in a number of direction (i.e do not only use the header tank as the inlet) always works well in dislodging 'dirt'. Would also let the flushing process to occur for as long as possible and check to see if the flushed water exiting is 'clean'.
Learnt this from the good/bad* man Mr Barrington himself (*delete as appropriate :lol: )

Generally speaking, if its a proper flush you are wanting...
Remove Rad and both major hoses and flush for as long and in as many different directions as possible.

Justin..
17-09-2008, 18:51
glad my turbo engine is still virgin :lol: gunna treat it with the tyre d i bought, its gunna stay green forever :D

Justin..
17-09-2008, 18:52
f-ing edit

tyre d?

type d!!!

:oops:

Daz.
17-09-2008, 18:52
glad my turbo engine is still virgin :lol: gunna treat it with the tyre d i bought, its gunna stay green forever :D

I know - I want to meet the git who cheaped out on the f7r! :lol:

Justin..
17-09-2008, 18:56
:lol: rebuild, its the only way :wink:

which reminds me, i havent flushed my ****ing heater matrix SHIT

better do that else it'll be all shit :cry:

Daz.
17-09-2008, 19:12
It'll never start anyway :wink:

Justin..
17-09-2008, 19:14
shush :cry:

white16valver
17-09-2008, 19:40
You've just reminded me that I need to flush mine.

I should really change it but without a garage available I don't want to get it all apart then have it go dark :roll: lol

Daz.
17-09-2008, 19:46
You've just reminded me that I need to flush mine.

I should really change it but without a garage available I don't want to get it all apart then have it go dark :roll: lol

http://www.madhurisolar.com/product/torches/big_torch_sb.gif

MAXIBOY
17-09-2008, 20:17
need to remove the hoses flush the heater and undo the drain plug on the block and flush it though

Justin..
17-09-2008, 20:18
wheres the drain plug :oops:

MAXIBOY
17-09-2008, 20:21
on the back of the block iirc by the oil pressure sensor..

little brass plug that looks like a bolt 13mm iirc

northy
17-09-2008, 21:29
strip full engine down and clean all water ways daz - you know u want too

richy
17-09-2008, 21:34
strip full engine down and clean all water ways daz - you know u want too

agreed, you want it clean, get it in bits and scrub it with ya tooth brush!

richy
17-09-2008, 21:35
or failing that, paint the coolant bottle green :wink:

Justin..
17-09-2008, 21:36
lol or a baileys chavtastic polished header

northy
17-09-2008, 21:41
or put water in it changing it every week till its cleaner than your mums white shirts

Justin..
17-09-2008, 21:42
good cool! just dom it before it starts freezing at night lol or you might be unlucky and blow some core plugs

Justin..
17-09-2008, 21:43
good cool?

shoudla been good call :lol: i must have drank some coolant :lol:

Wobba
17-09-2008, 21:45
There is a drain plug at the back of the block, quite tricky to find though.

I recently fluched my coolant, replaced water pump, coolant bottle etc and flushed system for a couple of hours with bottom rad hose off. Put new type D in. It's still green, tiny bit of discolouring appearing now. Cooling system is very good except I have a minor leak from somewhere else now, no doubt the added pressure from a non leaking waterpump has caused another one...bah!

Thing is, even if you clean the block theres tons of rust type shite all over the hoses inside etc. To get rid of it all you really need to replace everything and do waterways in block etc...

Justin..
17-09-2008, 21:47
new samcos F T W

Wobba
18-09-2008, 11:20
new samcos F T W

Love to, but they are expensive plus it means buying yet more coolant. Been through almost 25 litres of the stuff in under a year already!

LEIGH-ANNE
18-09-2008, 11:39
or u could get a hole in ur water pump like mine, keep topping up with water for about 3 weeks, then get arj to do a very unnesicery coolant change. Then absolutly beg for the dam thing to stop leaking! Job done

Worked for me.......lol :wink:

Daz.
18-09-2008, 14:21
or failing that, paint the coolant bottle green :wink:

We have a winner! :lol:

MAXIBOY
18-09-2008, 17:24
yes block drain plug is most useful when doing head gasket changes too

Wobba
18-09-2008, 17:58
or u could get a hole in ur water pump like mine, keep topping up with water for about 3 weeks, then get arj to do a very unnesicery coolant change. Then absolutly beg for the dam thing to stop leaking! Job done

Worked for me.......lol :wink:

lol! Good old Arj!

Allan
19-09-2008, 16:10
aye done the coolant on the dimma twice this week ! :S

didnt like the colour

titcharoony
09-10-2008, 16:00
aye done the coolant on the dimma twice this week ! :S

didnt like the colour

geekcentral.

Chris H
09-10-2008, 17:14
the drain plug isn't on all blocks, only the early ones had it. Its 11mm btw.

To stop it changing colour you need all new hoses, rad, matrix and the worst offender is the aux water pump and so on. Strip the block pop the core plugs dig the rusty shite out of the water galleries through the core holes, this takes ages and its also the big cause of the engines poping they build up some amount of shite and it causes localised overheating.

Its mainly the rust flakes thast ARE in your system that colours the water. Also robs its efficiency quite a bit.

If you just want all the water out comporessed air will get about 90% of it out, you will never get it all out unless you strip it all down. Adding water as someone else said will dilute it over a few weeks if you drain it and top up with only water for a while

Wobba
09-10-2008, 19:29
the drain plug isn't on all blocks, only the early ones had it. Its 11mm btw.

To stop it changing colour you need all new hoses, rad, matrix and the worst offender is the aux water pump and so on. Strip the block pop the core plugs dig the rusty shite out of the water galleries through the core holes, this takes ages and its also the big cause of the engines poping they build up some amount of shite and it causes localised overheating.

Its mainly the rust flakes thast ARE in your system that colours the water. Also robs its efficiency quite a bit.

If you just want all the water out comporessed air will get about 90% of it out, you will never get it all out unless you strip it all down. Adding water as someone else said will dilute it over a few weeks if you drain it and top up with only water for a while

That's right.

If you ever have a chance to look in teh waterways of the block you'll see the walls caked in solid residue. Getting that out without professional help would be nigh on impossible so it will go brown no matter what, but it will be minimised as Chris says with new everything.

franksvalver
09-10-2008, 21:15
new samcos F T W

My samcos didnt help as i didnt flush the reast through. Rad flush was a good choice for me. Removes deposits (most) and then while its hot you empty it out. Burns a bit though:D

Chris H
09-10-2008, 21:30
http://www.renault-turbo.com/chris/red%203%20door/my%20old%20engine/red%20white%20engine%2016.JPG

http://www.renault-turbo.com/chris/red%203%20door/my%20old%20engine/red%20white%20engine%2017.JPG

What 90% of the coolant jackets look like on the 16V engines