PDA

View Full Version : Rear disc/bearing change - is there a guide? Or any tips?!

white16valver
16-09-2008, 20:57
I can't see one and I'm going to need to do this very soon - I'm even sure I'm getting movement from the rear during cornering... :shock:

Any help or advice (or a hand!) much appreciated!!

:)

northy
16-09-2008, 21:14
take new disk, press in bearing, fit circlip

old disk, undo hub nut, strip of caliper housing, remove disk, remove circlip, press out the old bearing, press in new bearing and refit circlip

Brealbags
16-09-2008, 22:28
Check your rear axle bushes for wear that would give skitty cornering. i had this problem

white16valver
17-09-2008, 09:37
Thanks for the replies :)

re: getting the bearing off and on the axle, is it a hard job? Will I need a large rubber hammer or similar? I know how these cars don't like to give up their parts easily... :roll: lol

stevie_b
17-09-2008, 10:57
No, should be easy enough. Just grab the brake disc with both hands and rock side to side and it should slide off okay. You can tap the disc round the edges with a hammer if the manual method doesn't work. If you are replacing the discs too (as I was) then no need for a rubber hammer and you can bash it with any old thing! I would think the only bit you might get stuck on is with the hub nut which sometimes can be tricky to loosen. I bought a compressor and air ratchet that always gets them undone in the end. If you get stuck at that stage then give me a shout as I think you are fairly local and I could loosen it off with this for you?