PDA

View Full Version : Binding Brakes?

DaneC
16-09-2008, 11:25
My front o/s brakes are making a squeeking noise, sounds like the pads need copper greese but its happening when I'm driving about 80% of the time, and stops as soon as I touch the brakes.

Im guessing the Caliper is seized and not opening fully, what is the best way of fixing this without taking the caliper off? I hate bleeding brakes. :)

Wobba
16-09-2008, 13:46
There are grooves in the caliper pistons. You can use a little bar to rotate the caliper a few times and unseize it and get it nice and loose again :)

DaneC
16-09-2008, 15:34
There are grooves in the caliper pistons. You can use a little bar to rotate the caliper a few times and unseize it and get it nice and loose again :)

Cheers, I'l give that a go tonight. :D

katbloke
16-09-2008, 19:11
Isnt that only the rear calipers, fronts will need pushing back with a gclamp or similar

DaneC
16-09-2008, 19:28
Just fixed them, the guide pins were rusted up.
Cleaned them, lubed them and I'll see how it goes.

Isnt that only the rear calipers, fronts will need pushing back with a gclamp or similar

I couldn't see any grooves, I used a spanner and my hands as a makeshift G-Clamp. Hurts.

ThRaXaIR
16-09-2008, 22:42
hiya think this is whats wrong with my rear caliper. Wobba is what you said correct for the rears? as Katbloke is questioning you? :P haha

Wobba
17-09-2008, 00:32
Yes, and it is the rears only but same principle applies to fronts tbh. If you get the wheel off you can check over the pistons and pads easily enough to solve any problems assuming nothings broken.

It's all quite straight forward :)

MAXIBOY
17-09-2008, 01:48
[quote="DaneC"]Just fixed them, the guide pins were rusted up.
Cleaned them, lubed them and I'll see how it goes.

lubed them with what mate

DaneC
17-09-2008, 11:59
I used some lithium grease I had lying around.

Wobba
17-09-2008, 12:57
Heh, make sure it has not gone on the disc or pads or can drip on them ;)

MAXIBOY
17-09-2008, 15:39
should only use red rubber grease on these as all other greases effect the rubber in the long term...

katbloke
17-09-2008, 17:25
hiya think this is whats wrong with my rear caliper. Wobba is what you said correct for the rears? as Katbloke is questioning you? :P haha

I wasnt questioning the way to fix the rears, what wobba said is correct the original poster asked the question about the fronts which dont have the grooves to wind it back in, its a push back job

ThRaXaIR
17-09-2008, 18:49

I wasnt questioning the way to fix the rears, what wobba said is correct the original poster asked the question about the fronts which dont have the grooves to wind it back in, its a push back job

lol ignore me katbloke i was just playing. cheers guys see if i can stop that infernal whirring noise once and for all!