PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt change

LEIGH-ANNE
13-09-2008, 16:47
What kind of price do u think is reasonable enough to do a cambelt change and my sodding water pump? A senior member of Renault garage too....... 8)

McPikie
13-09-2008, 18:53
I think £200 is reasonable charge to do it, but renault probably want £5-600

LEIGH-ANNE
13-09-2008, 22:24
This is a back hander that the blokes doing on a saturday for me....

£150 - Well chuffed!!!

MAXIBOY
13-09-2008, 22:29
good price :D

Wobba
14-09-2008, 10:17
This is a back hander that the blokes doing on a saturday for me....

£150 - Well chuffed!!!

Omg! That is a good price. I didn't enjoy doing my water pump.

busterhymes
14-09-2008, 10:46
very cheap compared with prices i've seen posted any thoughts on whether to use renault parts or pattern parts and whats the prices like as going to be doin mine soon :) :) :)

LEIGH-ANNE
14-09-2008, 11:04
Well ill get him to use renault parts although i already have the water pump, aux belt (gsf). Im gona get him to service it over quick too. Coolant is fine, ill get him to chuck new spark plugs in and oil change. That reminds me, i have a new fuel filter here too. Getting done next weekend. TBH is worth u lot travelling to southampton for work like this as hes not charging a bomb for it? I no i certainly would....

Ill grab a list of the pattern and renault parts as u can see how they differ. In certain circumstances im told that renault are to use these 'ever so slightly less of standard' parts in each case which is possible. Probably when women go in.... or non major parts! They have 2 types of oil they are to use too, but im sure u have heard that before too.

busterhymes
14-09-2008, 11:24
ta for that :) :)

McPikie
14-09-2008, 15:59
You get a full cambelt kit or just the belt?

May I suggest getting a new tensioner and idler as mine were "re-used" by a local garage and failed 4 weeks later, leaving me with 16 valves up the swanny :cry:

katbloke
14-09-2008, 17:06
a mech offered to do it for 50 if i sourced the bits, that was belt, tensioners etc and waterpump not had done yet as i want the brakes and handling sorted first

MAXIBOY
14-09-2008, 20:36
bet it will cost twice as much the second time round....

crap job in the car.

Coops
14-09-2008, 20:41
lucky girl, seems you have them all bending over backwards for you :wink:

number1
14-09-2008, 20:49
I helped andyp with his cambelt kit and waterpump, took a day going nice and slowly making sure not to damage anything,
Bottom tensioner is a b1tch in the car,
Have done cambelts on valvers which have been a breeze and others that have been total pigs! people who overtighten the torx's on the cambelt cover really annoy me!

Dave

LEIGH-ANNE
14-09-2008, 21:21
Busterhymes - ill keep u informed :D

Mcpikie - Not too sure, obviously intending for the whole kit, pointless with just the belt aint it?! :?

Maxiboy - Yea u could be right, went in there and said wheres this bloke thats agreed to do it - he came out from workshop......'Oh hi, wot is it then, a 1.4 clio.......NO! i proclaimed! A Williams.....OH! He moaned lol errr aint seen one of them for years he says. Still up for it then? Oh yea not a prob, will be a pleasure ( :? :shock: :? ) Ok then :wink:

Coops - Yea well im worth it :wink:

MAXIBOY
14-09-2008, 21:36
Maxiboy - Yea u could be right, went in there and said wheres this bloke thats agreed to do it - he came out from workshop......'Oh hi, wot is it then, a 1.4 clio.......NO! i proclaimed! A Williams.....OH! He moaned lol errr aint seen one of them for years he says. Still up for it then? Oh yea not a prob, will be a pleasure ( :? :shock: :? ) Ok then :wink:
:

yes but meant katbloke's mate at 50 quid

150 quid for a proffessional with a ramp is a good price and most will like working on a great car like the williams

LEIGH-ANNE
15-09-2008, 09:52
Oh i see..... :oops:

LEIGH-ANNE
24-09-2008, 15:02
Right so, getting parts ready for the work to be done. Can anyone else suggest anything worth doing whilst hes under the bonnet??

Wobba
24-09-2008, 15:16
Right so, getting parts ready for the work to be done. Can anyone else suggest anything worth doing whilst hes under the bonnet??

Hmm...maybe remove that huge block of metal from charcoal cannister?

In that area, ensure the fuel line 'shield' is removed and reposition fuel lines too....

...aux belt replaced too?

To be honest there is always loads you can do, but depends on time and money eh :D

LEIGH-ANNE
24-09-2008, 15:30

Hmm...maybe remove that huge block of metal from charcoal cannister?

In that area, ensure the fuel line 'shield' is removed and reposition fuel lines too....

...aux belt replaced too?

To be honest there is always loads you can do, but depends on time and money eh :D

No idea what any of that is tbh....

Yes i have an aux belt ready

Coops
24-09-2008, 17:12
the williams has a big fat weight attached to inside of drivers arch behind the splash guard that holds the charcoal canister, part of the fuel breather system, it weighs a ton and to most people does nothing so they chuck it out! :wink:

fuel line cage that carries them up side of block past the aux belt can wear away/break leaving fuel lines to be abraded by the aux belt itself leading to fuel everywhere, not good! if its all as it should be no issue but its a common part to be at fault so worth checking girl while its in bits 8)

Loser :P

LEIGH-ANNE
24-09-2008, 17:17
the williams has a big fat weight attached to inside of drivers arch behind the splash guard that holds the charcoal canister, part of the fuel breather system, it weighs a ton and to most people does nothing so they chuck it out! :wink:

fuel line cage that carries them up side of block past the aux belt can wear away/break leaving fuel lines to be abraded by the aux belt itself leading to fuel everywhere, not good! if its all as it should be no issue but its a common part to be at fault so worth checking girl while its in bits 8)

Loser :P

Cheers loser :wink:

So i should honestly have this lump removed then? Cool, ill let him no bout that one. And to check fuel lines are oks. How much to replace the lines then u reckon?

Coops
24-09-2008, 17:19
you dont need to get the lump removed specifically, just alot of us do that ourselves as its easier to do everything in one go. tell mr garage man what you want doing and he will decide best way to do it, and least damage to your little purse strings aswell :P

fuel lines cost a bomb from renault for proper shaped ones, but if yours are okay no need to replace, just get them checked over and make sure they arent wearing/catching on anything, specifically the aux belt :wink:

LEIGH-ANNE
24-09-2008, 17:22
you dont need to get the lump removed specifically, just alot of us do that ourselves as its easier to do everything in one go. tell mr garage man what you want doing and he will decide best way to do it, and least damage to your little purse strings aswell :P

fuel lines cost a bomb from renault for proper shaped ones, but if yours are okay no need to replace, just get them checked over and make sure they arent wearing/catching on anything, specifically the aux belt :wink:

Oks i see. So if u no how to do it you could cum and remove mine for me then :P

As for fuel lines! I want shiny blue ones that match....is that poss (only kidding) :roll:

ok, so any other parts in particular? Have u seen cam belt kit on ebay? Suppose deff worth just going to renault for that yea?

Coops
24-09-2008, 17:26
you want me to come down and remove yours......... :shock: :wink:

i got last cambelt kit from buyparts.com iirc, was fine and still is on the turbo :twisted: so dont have to buy gen ren but a lot of people like to etc etc :lol:

lookin think you got it covered girl, maybe air filter to go whole hog on the service, bout it i think! hows your power steering, quiet? if not could get the pas pump done but thats a few quid to garuntee and none noisey replacement pump

LEIGH-ANNE
24-09-2008, 17:31
you want me to come down and remove yours......... :shock: :wink:

i got last cambelt kit from buyparts.com iirc, was fine and still is on the turbo :twisted: so dont have to buy gen ren but a lot of people like to etc etc :lol:

lookin think you got it covered girl, maybe air filter to go whole hog on the service, bout it i think! hows your power steering, quiet? if not could get the pas pump done but thats a few quid to garuntee and none noisey replacement pump

If ur offering loser, unless anyone else offers.....

Ill check their prices then check how much i can get it from renault sources :wink:

I have an induction kit of it at the mo :oops: but arj is kindly lending me hes spare cos i wana see just how much diff it does make, im sure that will make me put the dam thing in the bin then!! And me thinks justin has removed hes power steering pump for me......im sure ive had the grease of that on my hands iirc.....its not to be tbh tho, me and justin put some slick 50 in it, not as bad as others ive heard (summeh :wink: )

Wobba
24-09-2008, 19:21
I took the lump off the cannister the otehr day actually:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSCF0109.jpg

That is solid metal. VERY heavy!

It comes from here:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/DSCF0110.jpg

Coops
24-09-2008, 20:06
:lol: sorry girl, bit of a trek down your way, have to let mr nice garage man do it :lol:

loose the induction kit, std box and filter with nice o/e feed, lovely and quiet :P am becoming an old man :oops:

MAXIBOY
24-09-2008, 20:43
was that bracket only fitted to willys as my valver has a much lighter one fitted and if so do you think it was designed to help balance the front end..
as i cant see any other reason for the way its designed to be honest...

LEIGH-ANNE
24-09-2008, 21:27
:lol: sorry girl, bit of a trek down your way, have to let mr nice garage man do it :lol:

loose the induction kit, std box and filter with nice o/e feed, lovely and quiet :P am becoming an old man :oops:

cheers dan pics much appreciated!

Yea will be as soon as i manage to see adam again.... :cry:

maxiboy - i wana talk to u bout a previous thread if i may....

MAXIBOY
24-09-2008, 22:19
ask away... :D

arj256
24-09-2008, 22:42

cheers dan pics much appreciated!

Yea will be as soon as i manage to see adam again.... :cry:

maxiboy - i wana talk to u bout a previous thread if i may....

Well im about now, so will have to drop off the airbox.
If you want to remove the heavy bracket. I'm pretty certain i have the lightweight valver bracket lurking in the garage somewhere.

Justin..
24-09-2008, 22:53
was that bracket only fitted to willys as my valver has a much lighter one fitted and if so do you think it was designed to help balance the front end..

yeah corner weighting i expect

arj256
24-09-2008, 22:55

yeah corner weighting i expect

Yeah that's always been my guess as when you think the car was designed Lhd. And it offsets the drivers weight.

MAXIBOY
24-09-2008, 23:22
i agree with the above but why willy only as the 16v was also designed left hand drive

the only difference being the track width really... :?

arj256
24-09-2008, 23:25
i agree with the above but why willy only as the 16v was also designed left hand drive

the only difference being the track width really... :?

Purhaps something to do with holomogation purposes?

Wobba
25-09-2008, 13:39
I'd say homologation and weight balancing for sure. There is no reason something should be so over designed/weighted on a performance car for any other purpose.

LEIGH-ANNE
25-09-2008, 14:57
Right been to the renault garage tday, will keep u updated on prices buster.

Ordered a cam belt kit, spark plugs and oil filter.

This car had better be good to me after all this work!!!! :?

busterhymes
25-09-2008, 14:59
Right been to the renault garage tday, will keep u updated on prices buster.

Ordered a cam belt kit, spark plugs and oil filter.

This car had better be good to me after all this work!!!! :?

ta leighanne hope it all goes smoothly :) :)

LEIGH-ANNE
25-09-2008, 15:06
lol - laughing at ur other post!

Okies, well should have 3 prices, the 2 different grades in parts and prices i can get them for which of course im happy to get for others and post if it works out a hell of a lot cheaper :D

Also got a spare key cut tday £8 (ur be pleased adam!) Now........whos wants to keep hold of it for me then so i dont loose it? :roll:

Justin..
25-09-2008, 15:07
meeeeeeeeeeeee i'll look after it lol :P

LEIGH-ANNE
25-09-2008, 15:09
****in hell justin that was quick reply thought id have cheeky comments back from all of u lot! (que phil :roll: )

Justin..
25-09-2008, 15:10
haha, i'm sure some body will :lol:

:wink:

Coops
25-09-2008, 15:23
i would be honoured to look after the spare metallic shaped access token to your motorised vehicular carriage miss leighanne.

look no cheekyness :D

LEIGH-ANNE
25-09-2008, 22:42
i would be honoured to look after the spare metallic shaped access token to your motorised vehicular carriage miss leighanne.

look no cheekyness :D

That was full of cheekyness mr cooper! :P

MAXIBOY
25-09-2008, 22:45
you had question's... 8)

LEIGH-ANNE
25-09-2008, 22:52
pm'd

MAXIBOY
25-09-2008, 22:58
:shock:

:D