PDA

View Full Version : Manual rack opinions?

Martin
24-06-2005, 21:40
Well guys you've had time to get used to them...whats the verdict? Worthy mod?

clean16v
24-06-2005, 21:44
I'm actually getting used to mine now and feel ok throwing it about. Take it out next time i see you mate.
If i could do it again i porb wouldn't have done it TBH but i needed to for the T/B conversion and it loses a lot of weight and obviously less draw on the fan belt. Def outweighs the heavy steering for me

Martin
24-06-2005, 21:50
thinking I may do this later in the year...got to sort some spraying, willy track and poly carb windows first....and I was determined not to spemd much on this one. :lol:

clean16v
24-06-2005, 21:53
Always the way! As i said, next time your around these parts give me a shout, you're more then welcome to try it out for yourself. Warrington can source you the parts and fit them for an all in price of £150 at a guess.
And you don't need Bondy's kit, i found a way of doing it without.
Stromba, mine runs a 1.4 rack and manual column

Martin
24-06-2005, 21:55
Sounds like a good price that.....you're tempting me! Do you know how long it takes to swap over?

I was gonna have a do in winston's car at the last meet...lol Would be good to check it out first hand....maybe @ pod if not sooner. :)

Martin
25-06-2005, 10:43
I know where a fast rack is available might go for that......not sure if I'm gonna do it till I've had a drive in a man rack car.

Winston
25-06-2005, 16:49
The RSi / RT use a valver P/S rack iirc

Martin....You'll just have to try it out.....Only the hardcores need apply

Have to do some track testing to give 100% good feed back from me :P

BRUN
25-06-2005, 18:21
ive got a manual rack and its fine, though ive never driven a Clio with P/S so i couldnt comment from experience

Andyvalver
25-06-2005, 18:33
Id imagine having a manual rack would be a good thing on these sporty clio's. It is a proper drivers car after all. I bet its a bitch to park in tight spaces with no pas, but rewarding when drivin properly due to more feedback through the wheel. I say go for it if thats what you want. I would :D

u33db
26-06-2005, 11:59
True i have never driven a car with a manual conversion, but i have spoken to two people with cup racers. Both said the manula steering was 'tiresome' after a short while and 'hard work'. I have also know of a rally driver with a Clio who removed the manual rack from his car to replave it with a power steering rack because it was again 'too difficult to drive'.

Valid points if anyone is considering going the cup racer rack route but it's definately different if they're going the std manaual rack route;

Certainly when i went from PAS to manual the steering was slightly lighter than PAS once moving, yet probably about the same as PAS when parking. The people with cup racers seem to have a 'heavier in every case' situation by the sounds of it...

KingStromba
26-06-2005, 12:01
Id say the parking problems of the 'cup' racks was due to the fast rack nature of then. More turns per lock = more turning to get into space = more hard work.

u33db
26-06-2005, 12:10
Yep, but let face it, if you're bombing along in a race at 120+ mph for an hour or so solid you're probably going to NEED tighter steering as it'll be less twitchy/tiring having to keep it in check at high speed. In regard to a manual road car things are different so i guess you can get away with the std manual rack

2 live
26-06-2005, 12:20
Id say the parking problems of the 'cup' racks was due to the fast rack nature of then. More turns per lock = more turning to get into space = more hard work.

think uv got it arse about face again there mate

a quick rack is one that has LESS turns from lock to lock...hence it being called a QUICK RACK
lmao

google throwin some shit ur way or wot mate

the way they work is so that u can go from lock to lock as quick as possible, which means with less turns of the steering wheel.

the quick rack on me mini is 2 turns lock to lock....instead of 3 1/2 turns lock to lock as std........which makes it a lot more positiveon the feedback, less effort required to throw it into the tight corners

J o n
26-06-2005, 12:22
hmmm, what about a quick PAS rack? :D

KingStromba
26-06-2005, 12:41
I was under the impression that a quick rack was one such that for less turns of the (steering) wheel the rack moved more (ie the DRIVING wheels moved MORE).

Ie the column rotated LESS and the rack move MORE. Hence its harder work as for each turn of the steering wheel, the front wheels are moving more. Therefore more effort (from the driver) is required to move the rack the same distance. In effect the teeth would be closer together on the rack and the column 'cog' smaller.