PDA

View Full Version : Changing seat position...

Wobba
05-09-2008, 19:03
...transforms the car.

I've been getting a little bored of Williams lately. I guess it's as much down to the usual town commute, as much as it is the usual British weather, both of which hamper amusement in any car, especially when combined.

I've done loads of work to it in the 2 months of ownership. I fixed the wipers, the hot air blower, the main engine mount, replaced exhaust and stopped it knocking umpteen times. I've even done a monster job and replaced the water pump with the engine still in the car and completely sorted the cooling system...but still, lately I've been getting bored. Somethings not been right.

This can be evidenced by the way I let Mrs Slow and her whining kids (damn there low down torque diesel turbo shite) burn me up at the lights as I pootle about town.

It was only today I think I found out why: my seating position sucked.

I decided to move the seat about, dropping it as low as can go, and bringing the back almost vertical, McRae style, so both hands can grip the wheel firmly and everything seems more intense the lower you are (well, my arse seems to feel every stone I go over that more noticeably!). I went from slumbering commuter in a small family hatch, to rally nutter, at the mere fiddle with the seat adjusters!

I've never gotten home from work so quick! My Williams fetish has just be rekindled ;)

Allan
05-09-2008, 19:06
lol, just need the nos now to give you that extra athrill :)

Wobba
05-09-2008, 19:10
lol, just need the nos now to give you that extra athrill :)

Aye! Just what I need for them traffic jams!

arj256
05-09-2008, 19:11
I find the danger of driving from the back adds extra thrills, reaching the pedals is tricky though.

Yeah i found that with the standard seats you default into a slouch position which is comfortable as. But not very driver orientated.
Making the standard seats in a similar position to bucket seats improves things nicely.

Allan
05-09-2008, 19:25
big brick and some string, and remember brakes are for losers

bendee
05-09-2008, 20:02
get buckets ive stuck mine to the floor my view is now obstructed by the steering wheel when your this low its awsome. you look silly to others but sitting in the standard seats now feels shite.

talkingfish
06-09-2008, 10:05
I have to have the seat as low as it will go due to long legs.... excellent driving position from there....
Not sure how Clarkson got in the thing when he test drove it all those years ago.....

Daz.
06-09-2008, 11:00
I'm a short arse so its one notch up for me - back is upright though for maximum attack :twisted:

white16valver
08-09-2008, 13:29
Does anyone else find it's offset to the right when compared to the pedals and wheel though?

I'm constantly readjusting myself as I'm not lined up properly :(

And I miss my RST recaros as they have better back support!

Duli
08-09-2008, 15:19
Does anyone else find it's offset to the right when compared to the pedals and wheel though?

I'm constantly readjusting myself as I'm not lined up properly :(

And I miss my RST recaros as they have better back support!

we have the same problem in lhd clios. except that its offset to the left in the lhd car. its in the newer clio (mk2) aswell, altho not that obvious.

MAXIBOY
08-09-2008, 18:30
yeah it is...set my buckets up with a much better postion and they drive so much better now

16v_paddy
10-09-2008, 18:26
Would be even better if u could adjust the ****ing steering wheel :evil: :x mine needs to be higher :x

I've got the leather seats, you don't sink into them as much as the normal cloth ones so you sit up a bit higher, I'm considering gettin some std cloth seats and re-trimming them to match the rest of the leather interior or some 1 8 2 Trophy seats :twisted: 8)

arj256
10-09-2008, 18:44
Would be even better if u could adjust the f***king steering wheel :evil: :x mine needs to be higher :x

Put either a steering wheel spacer on or a deep dish wheel on
Does the trick nicely if you like the wheel being closer.

16v_paddy
10-09-2008, 18:57
^^^I'm not sure what u mean by a steering wheel spacer :oops:
I know I could adjust it using washers etc, just not how I'd like it

Since putting the leather seats in, when giving it some beans round a corner my hands are catching on my knees, so I either have to go back to the seats I sit lower in or try & get the wheel in a different position.

I like my steering wheel so don't want to change it really. I think I know what u mean by the spacer now- I don't want to bring the wheel closer to me as I have the seat as far back as it will go and I still feel it's a little bit too close to me, would chopping the boss in half work???

white16valver
11-09-2008, 13:00
Worth a go! lol